How to Drill your aquarium and install a Shadow Overflow

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome job on the drilling and video! Very informative!

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! Love the simplicity of the system and the prices seem to be great. I'm not ready to drill my next tank yet, but will definitely be looking at this system. Up to 1500GPH! That's awesome!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! Love the simplicity of the system and the prices seem to be great. I'm not ready to drill my next tank yet, but will definitely be looking at this system. Up to 1500GPH! That's awesome!
Thanks! When you compare apples to apples our overflow is the best there is. Once you are ready, you now know how easy it is to do!

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great video, im ready to order it but im confused cause my new reef is rimless and the procedure is different? thanks, I like the water level in my rimless tanks as high possible like 1, 3/4" or 1,1/2", the pre cuts kits are available at synergy or at brs too? Happy reefing.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the video that shows you how to drill and install the Shadow Overflow on your aquarium. If you have any questions regarding this procedure just let us know in this thread.

It looks to me as though you will have a water level 2 inches or so below the top of the tank. Installed as we see it could you give approximate water levels of how far below the top of the tank on both rimless and rimmed tank with your equipment?

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great video, im ready to order it but im confused cause my new reef is rimless and the procedure is different? thanks, I like the water level in my rimless tanks as high possible like 1, 3/4" or 1,1/2", the pre cuts kits are available at synergy or at brs too? Happy reefing.

@sromero287 Hi Simon,

To drill and set the water level in a rimless tank is very easy. You see the sticker on the front of the overflow drilling template? That sticker shows you where the approximate water level line is. All you do is put that line wherever you what your waterlevel in the tank to be and then mark your holes. Then use the template on the back side of the tank to drill just like we did in the video. And yes these are available from either the www.synergyreef.com or BRS

It looks to me as though you will have a water level 2 inches or so below the top of the tank. Installed as we see it could you give approximate water levels of how far below the top of the tank on both rimless and rimmed tank with your equipment?

@klp
The water level on a rimmed tank if installed like we show in the video will be just above the outside trim so you do not see the water line. The measurement will be different based on different tank manufacturers plastic trim sizes, but our will work with all tank manufacturers tanks. We have engineered these to have the proper water level if installed per instructions.
The water level on a rimless tank will be determined on where you want it to be as I just described to Simon above.

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! The only suggestions I would make, is to use duct tape on the underside of the glass where you are cutting the holes. That way when you get all the way through, the piece just sits there. I also recommend putting a towel down to cover the entire tank just to be on the safe side if a tool, or piece of glass happens to miss the bucket etc. One last thing, if you do not have a hose available, you can use gum, playdoh, plumbers putty and make a ring/donut and fill it with cold water to cool the bit.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! The only suggestions I would make, is to use duct tape on the underside of the glass where you are cutting the holes. That way when you get all the way through, the piece just sits there. I also recommend putting a towel down to cover the entire tank just to be on the safe side if a tool, or piece of glass happens to miss the bucket etc. One last thing, if you do not have a hose available, you can use gum, playdoh, plumbers putty and make a ring/donut and fill it with cold water to cool the bit.
Thanks! Great tips!

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Video ! What Sump brand and type do you recommend to work best with the Shadow Box ?
And do you have a follow up video that shows how to take the lines down and attach to a sump ?

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jrose42488

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Video ! What Sump brand and type do you recommend to work best with the Shadow Box ?
And do you have a follow up video that shows how to take the lines down and attach to a sump ?

Get One Of there Sumps, Plug And Play. They look great and the quality is amazing. You won't be disappointed.

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ! $600 - $700 for a Sump seems oftly expensive ! What's so different between these and the majority of other sumps on the market in $250 range ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ! $600 - $700 for a Sump seems oftly expensive ! What's so different between these and the majority of other sumps on the market in $250 range ?
I answered it for you also in the other thread,

Yes we can still make the SS-22 sump. It's just not on our website. That is the non CL version you were quoted. Our prices haven't jumped, the sumps listed online have always been the same price, they are just a lot larger than the SS-22.

You are Comparing apples to oranges [emoji6]

When you say oftly expensive what are you comparing? That is a general term. There are plenty of other cheaper options available as with any other product. Choose what is best for your needs.

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered it for you also in the other thread,

Yes we can still make the SS-22 sump. It's just not on our website. That is the non CL version you were quoted. Our prices haven't jumped, the sumps listed online have always been the same price, they are just a lot larger than the SS-22.

You are Comparing apples to oranges [emoji6]

When you say oftly expensive what are you comparing? That is a general term. There are plenty of other cheaper options available as with any other product. Choose what is best for your needs.

I can only choose from what IS listed on your site. Every sump currently listed there is in the $600 - $700 range. I'm just asking what is different and better between yours and other brands on the market that are less expensive.
As a potential customer, I think that is a valid question.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only choose from what IS listed on your site. Every sump currently listed there is in the $600 - $700 range. I'm just asking what is different and better between yours and other brands on the market that are less expensive.
As a potential customer, I think that is a valid question.
It is a valid question, but way too many variables. If you had 2 specific items that you were comparing it would be easier to answer. We sell over 6 models of sumps and have tons of options for those. Not all are listed on the site. We give customers specific options based on their needs, usually when the email us. The listed sumps are a general basis of what is available.

In general our products are all hand built by myself and manufactured in a way that gives you a better quality product. Better quality materials, chamfered edges, diamond polished edges, ect. Other budget priced companies do not do these things. They are just producing them fast to move volume. That's why you see them sold everywhere and ours are only sold on our website direct. We choose not to sell to every vendor to keep our quality standards higher.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back