How to take care of your Brain! (Trachys, Lobos, etc...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

ttmtven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a symphyllia be place next to a trachyphyllia and not have them attack each other?

snappa1953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of interest is that I did find Lobos out on the more exposed, fore reef dropoffs, but they were less prevalent and deeper down, generally. Any shallow Lobos exposed to bright son tended to be smaller and paler in coloration. In the shallower sun drenched, higher energy conditions, Acoporas were abundant and subtle shades of cream to brown, with some having a few colorful pigments on the edges. All the time I was wondering what colors they could display under a quality lighting setup :)
Great observations Nano. Temperature question - what do you estimate the ideal to be ?

snappa1953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure, but I wasn't getting cold even after a good amount of time in the water. If I had to guess, I'd say ~80 - 82.
Okay thanks. When you said the best growth was in cooler temperatures I was wondering if it was closer to 75. My tank is running between 75 and 78.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. When you said the best growth was in cooler temperatures I was wondering if it was closer to 75. My tank is running between 75 and 78.

In the ocean, the shallower lagoons can be fairly warm. Palau is generally not quite as warm as Indonesia and the Philippines, but still can get up to the lower to mid 80's (Jan to Dec averages show very stable ocean surface temps from 82-84F.

In my tanks I always run a bit lower at around 77-78F since it's a bit safer in the event of heat wave in summer.

Samandar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Very interesting thread. I am in reef keeping newbie. I have lost unfortunately some B. C. In the picture you can the last one that is not happy. What would be the cause?
All parameters are ok:
Kh : 8
Cal : 430
Mg : 1290
Salinity : 1.026
Ph : 8
Po4 :0
No3 : 2.5
DSC_1701.JPG

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Very interesting thread. I am in reef keeping newbie. I have lost unfortunately some B. C. In the picture you can the last one that is not happy. What would be the cause?
All parameters are ok:
Kh : 8
Cal : 430
Mg : 1290
Salinity : 1.026
Ph : 8
Po4 :0
No3 : 2.5
DSC_1701.JPG
Looks like tissue recession. Could be from parameter swings, lighting, etc. How long has the tank been set up?

Samandar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tissue recession. Could be from parameter swings, lighting, etc. How long has the tank been set up?
Hi, the tank has been run more than 14 months. I have the C. B. since last April.
This problem has been begun from four weeks ago. What can do to prevent the progress of the problem.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well written and explained. many colors and origins. I literally took the two I have placed them on the bottom in an area with good light and low flow and they are always puffy. I don't even feed them as uneaten food reaches them

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me these are not brain corals. I know ive not got letters after my name , or degrees , but surely , the brain coral has to look like a brain , so that has got to be the Maze brain coral which does.
I think if I saw a picture of my brain and it looked like the examples in the pictures you have posted, I would be very worried, or dead

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking for a decent article covering these. I have a Lobo that is finally starting to get color after 3 months "settling"... thanks for the tips!

I have mine in the sand.. would it matter to put it on rock instead? I'm worried about possible scraping of the exoskeleton..?

20190207_123645.jpg

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking for a decent article covering these. I have a Lobo that is finally starting to get color after 3 months "settling"... thanks for the tips!

I have mine in the sand.. would it matter to put it on rock instead? I'm worried about possible scraping of the exoskeleton..?

20190207_123645.jpg
I just moved my lobo from the sand bed to a rock 4" off the sand about a week ago. I just did a superglue/epoxy/superglue sandwich to stick it and it seems very happy so far.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back