I am about to throw in a towel

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple monster colonies are just RTN'ing , while my other acros are showing a great deal of improvement in color and growth. This is my favorite acropora in the entire tank. it was doing great for over4 years it took me forever to get them to this point , I am at a loss and I can't seem to figure out what is causing it. My parameters are CA 430, Alk 7.8 (may be too low?) Po4 .054 No3 - 2 ( low for my system i usually get 5 at minimum) Mag i don't usually test for but its around 1100-1200 last time i checked. Here are the changes I've made. About a month ago, I replaced all of the LED's on my photon 32 because my entire blue channel went out . I started dosing Elos last week. I usually don't use my skimmer, but I started to skim my tank a month ago just for the aeration purposes. Mind you none of my other SPS are affected at the moment.
If anyone has any idea or an opinion of what could've caused it , I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks Again.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 is low but not that low that it causes a STN.
You sure nothing is stinging at the bottom?
Post any pics please.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a Rapid RTN or Slow STN?
if it was a RTN it should be gone in less than 24hrs.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a Rapid RTN or Slow STN?
if it was a RTN it should be gone in less than 24hrs.
about 7 hours i checked this morning all of them were fine. Im attributing it to increasing my light intensity and low nitrates. But thats just a guess. I am not sure what exactly could cause that ,

IMG_3543.JPG

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh man........ that's sucks!
I would swing the towel to for a moment.
Did you frag it to save some maybe?

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby is full of what the heck moments. Lots of reefers would say 2 ppms of nitrate ideal, same with you alk. My purple monster does well right below the water line with lots of light and flow. Perhaps those new lights overwhelmed it. Do you think the replacement led's have more output than your previous ones. Otherwise pretty hard to understand.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop the light back to where it was.
Its kind of hard to do, because while i was in school , all of my blue LED's burned out and my tank ran mostly on whites for about a month, after I got my new board, i added 90 degree optics. I did however dial down the lights some more, i think thats a good idea.
I also dosed potassium nitrate , all of my acros showed good PE after i added it into the system . Hopefully that helps

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 7 hours i checked this morning all of them were fine. Im attributing it to increasing my light intensity and low nitrates. But thats just a guess. I am not sure what exactly could cause that ,

IMG_3543.JPG
It might be from brand new leds in your system. Was acclimated to your lower par from the lights going out and put me ones in amd just gave it to much part to handle

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby is full of what the heck moments. Lots of reefers would say 2 ppms of nitrate ideal, same with you alk. My purple monster does well right below the water line with lots of light and flow. Perhaps those new lights overwhelmed it. Do you think the replacement led's have more output than your previous ones. Otherwise pretty hard to understand.
Yeah you're right , one of my colonies has a great PE an grows pretty well still, Im afraid to jinx it , but these were lower down my tank on the frag racks, and yes I'm leaning towards the light issue, here is the board i had to replace, the blue channel led's worked but since the bulbs were burnt, after i got a new board i added 90 degrees instead of 120, so i feel like even though i dialed them down to 30% , i think it was way more than my corals were use to .

IMG_3550.JPG

A.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, its nitrate dosing. Had similer thing happning to me when I dosed.

If i were you i would do a big WC and stop the dosing.

A.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also lightin shock will rtn corals.
If u could reduce ur lighting for a while it would be good.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of answers you got do I have to agree on that is a question as we will never find out.
Looking back to what all happened and what you did might be your answer :eek:
SPS don't like sudden changes and with blue light out, only have white lights, dosing, new lights with lenses might have triggered the stress point of your PM.
Not always it will happen to more SPS, that's why we found it weird.
STN from the center can be the cause of unhappy due to a rapid change and what ever that was you will never know for sure.
Just hope that you saved some frags from your colony and although this coral is super slow in growing it can give you back some satisfaction on still having a frag of the PM as they hard to come by.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check your Magnesium. The numbers you listed, 1100 to 1200 are really low. SPS corals, in particular, are not going to thrive with low mag. In fact, IMO, they do better with the mag a little high (around 1500 ppm).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back