I need some HELP with tuning my Kessil a350w led?

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I need some help tuning these led light for my corals for best growth! My tank is 30 gallon cube and the light sits 10 1/2 inches above the water! What are the best tuning for my lights for optimal growth?
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

Thank you for helping

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running with a controller, or manually adjusting?

I personally run mine through my Apex, and run from 100% blue 0% white, to 20%blue 70% White, with intensity from 12% (off) to 65% and back down.

Doing it manually, I am not sure what a good point would be.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running with a controller, or manually adjusting?

I personally run mine through my Apex, and run from 100% blue 0% white, to 20%blue 70% White, with intensity from 12% (off) to 65% and back down.

Doing it manually, I am not sure what a good point would be.

Thanks for sharing and helping, yes it is manual only! I was going to upgrade to a wifi and newer light but my buddy told me not to because my light is a very good light! I'm just having trouble getting these lights set to the right parameters!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome lights. You might see if a local reef club has a PAR meter to rent to get to specific light levels. One mistake I made for a long time with mine was going about 70%. They are very strong lights, and at 26" deep, my coral were getting fried.

Wish I could give you better advice than that, but it really depends on depth, and coral needs.

Good luck!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a lux meter too. they're cheap. Pers Id avoid too much blue. est between 14 and 20k.some swear by 20k some swear by 10k sooo..... IE, make the tank look good to your eye. adjust intensity
Make adjustments slowly. the corals will acclimate.
Bleaching is too much light to fast or too low nutrient levels at high intensity. browning too hog nutrints too low a light.

That tank will take the full power of that light(about 35000 lux approx 550+ par at 12in) but you have to get there slowly.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a lux meter too. they're cheap. Pers Id avoid too much blue. est between 14 and 20k.some swear by 20k some swear by 10k sooo..... IE, make the tank look good to your eye. adjust intensity
Make adjustments slowly. the corals will acclimate.
Bleaching is too much light to fast or too low nutrient levels at high intensity. browning too hog nutrints too low a light.

That tank will take the full power of that light(about 35000 lux approx 550+ par at 12in) but you have to get there slowly.

Ok, I been doing some research on a par meter and looking to buy one but they are so expensive, do you know any cheap one that are good and water proof?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I been doing some research on a par meter and looking to buy one but they are so expensive, do you know any cheap one that are good and water proof?
no, par meters are in the $200+ range. This is why I first started my research on Lux meters, its affordable an accessible, and based on well proven science. And as it turns out pretty accurate.
And I happen to own 2+ or so light meters and always wondered why folks said it didnt work even though the best manufacutrer of par meters says it does.
http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/conversion-ppf-to-lux/
As does the leading researcher on light in our aquariums.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/review

A milwaukee waterproof lux meter is $75. A decent lux meter is $15

My long research with other users of your light who own par meters and others who own lux meters has given me the conversion number of 60 at a 1:1 W/B ratio.
The conversion number is slightly lower with less blue.

Heres my method.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/
Fwiw, my lux par conversion matches the manufacturer Par number almost exactly for the Maxspect razor.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Spectral controller for 99 bucks new. You can control the lights without an Apex, etc. including ramping up/down colors and intensities.

To my eye, mine is about equal to my old 14000K Phoenix MH for color but I'd have to dig back in the cabinet to find the controller and see the intensity - I believe it's around 40 or 50%. The controller has the ability to run 2 programs plus it has an acclimation program built in.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Spectral controller for 99 bucks new. You can control the lights without an Apex, etc. including ramping up/down colors and intensities.

To my eye, mine is about equal to my old 14000K Phoenix MH for color but I'd have to dig back in the cabinet to find the controller and see the intensity - I believe it's around 40 or 50%. The controller has the ability to run 2 programs plus it has an acclimation program built in.

I wanted to get it but my Kessil is the a350w tuna blue, it's the older model cannot support it! I just put my white intensity at 12% and blues at 25%!

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white channel on kessils are just for apperance, with that being said I don't even use it. My grow all my zoa's with a ramp up with the blue channel to 80% on the spectral controller. I get great growth! Check my thread and see for yourselve

KIMG0501.JPG

KIMG0503.JPG

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white channel on kessils are just for apperance, with that being said I don't even use it. My grow all my zoa's with a ramp up with the blue channel to 80% on the spectral controller. I get great growth! Check my thread and see for yourselve

KIMG0501.JPG

KIMG0503.JPG

Wow that's awesome! So should I just use my blues only? And turn off the whites? Bc my corals are bleached right now how high should I start with the blues intensity?

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awesome! So should I just use my blues only? And turn off the whites? Bc my corals are bleached right now how high should I start with the blues intensity?
Yes start low with the blue/intensity channel then go from them. Don't even use the whites

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I thought we need at least a little bit of whites? So I can just do no whites and only blues and I will get great growth?
You have to understand kessil, there blue spectrum is not just blue it's all the spectrum that corals need for growth. That's the kessil difference, you can get a reef brite that is just blue yes but when I say just use the blue channel your using more colors than you can see with your eye

Mike.kel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils are so strong you need to stop blasting your coral with light. Turn the kessils down to 20-25% blue and slowly like over weeks ramp that channel up to @50% then stop. The whites should be adjusted to your personal preference highlighting your colors in your particular corals. Been using kessils for over 5 years.

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Kessils are so strong you need to stop blasting your coral with light. Turn the kessils down to 20-25% blue and slowly like over weeks ramp that channel up to @50% then stop. The whites should be adjusted to your personal preference highlighting your colors in your particular corals. Been using kessils for over 5 years.
Thanks for your input.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back