I think it's velvet

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were following my other post I've had a lot of problems with getting the copper going. I finally got hte right copper and started adding it slowly to therapeutic levels last night. I put about half the recommended dose in last night. Up til last night he was doing pretty well not showing much signs other than less color. This morning he is covered in white spots with pretty large white patches near his gills. I tried to give him a freshwater bath (he tolerated hte one on Friday well) but after 2.5 minutes he laid on his side gasping so I pulled him. I just changed the water and added more copper. I should be in therapeutic range (testing now). Is there anythign else I can do or just pray? (picture in next post).

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side view

20160925_115355.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That head on shot actually looks like brook to me. The fish is going to need (at the very least) a FW dip ASAP: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Do you have access to formalin or acriflavine? A chemical bath, using one of those, would be ideal post FW dip.

The reason you are having such a hard time maintaining a stable Cu level is because the rock in your QT is absorbing it. o_O

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually the problem with the cu was i was using the copperaid that didn't have the right levels when applied as directed. So do I do another freshwater dip for the full 5minutes regardless of how he is responding?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a petco/petsmart near me. do either have formalin or acriflavine? Those are all I have access to except amazon.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if it isn't velvet/ich does that mean i should pull out the copper with carbon?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from your link my tang was probably playing dead and not really dieing when I pulled him at 2.5 minutes. I should still wait until tomorrow to give him another one right?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock most definitely soaked up the copper making it difficult to maintain levels properly. Wait until tomorrow to give another freshwater dip. If it's velvet, you want the copper to be in there. Copper won't help with brook however, but the FW dips will along with acryflavin or formalin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got the formalin ms. I was looking for expedited shipping and wasn't finding it, but petsolutions had it. Hopefully it will get here in time. In the meantime just give him daily freshwater baths? It should be her Tuesday. I am continuing the copper treatment per Mely and removed the rock. Thank you so much.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got the formalin ms. I was looking for expedited shipping and wasn't finding it, but petsolutions had it. Hopefully it will get here in time. In the meantime just give him daily freshwater baths? It should be her Tuesday. I am continuing the copper treatment per Mely and removed the rock. Thank you so much.

I would only do the FW dips as needed/symptoms are showing. IME; fish can only take so many of them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pull out hte rock if necessary but was hoping it would help with biological filtration
I have some rock and I can tell you that you're better off without it

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pull out hte rock if necessary but was hoping it would help with biological filtration
I have some rock and I can tell you that you're better off without it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back