Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the previous post. Something went completely wrong and it didnt include my text. So here's a second try.

I just bought the clown triggerfish a week ago and it seems to have ick. I am considering doing the TTM with two 4 gallon buckets. Should I have filtration when using the TTM or is a hydor koralia pump sufficient with just water circulation? With regard to water temperature I should be fine as the temperature here does not fluctuate much. Please let me know and any tips are welcome!

I think I see something that could be ick on the fins.... but the pic is too blurry. You can use the buckets depending on the size of the fish. You'll need to watch out for ammonia, but using a power head pointed at the surface of the water should suffice. The only problem with using the buckets (assuming it's size appropriate for the fish) is that you can't see if anything else shows up during treatment. ex: flukes, velvet, bacterial infection ect. Just keep that in mind.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi melypr1985. Thanks for the quick reply. I would say the clown trigger is around 3 inches. What size of bucket would I need. I thought about what you said about seeing what might show up and I might do the bucket in combination with a 10 gallon tank. So first the bucket, than the tank, than the bucket etc.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454376559.209481.jpg

Cant seem to get a good pic but it definitely has on its fins and some on its body as far as I can tell.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454376559.209481.jpg

Cant seem to get a good pic but it definitely has on its fins and some on its body as far as I can tell.

Using the 10 gallon would be better. If you can pick up another 10 from the $1 per gallon sale at Petco- even better! You could get away with using the bucket though. Just keep an eye on him and on the ammonia. He's really pretty

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I dont live in the states and the tanks here are relatively expensive. Plus saltmix is not readily available, I'll have to order from the states. Therefore the 4 gallon bucket. Lol

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I dont live in the states and the tanks here are relatively expensive. Plus saltmix is not readily available, I'll have to order from the states. Therefore the 4 gallon bucket. Lol

That's right! I remember that now. Well, then use both the tank and the bucket and just be extra observant. You can do it :)

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. I did get rid of ick on my blue tang before using hypo, and it's still with me. but the TTM seems so much easier. Plus, I think the Triggerfish is much hardier than the blue tang. Hope it works!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, it looks like ich mainly on the back dorsal fin. But if the white spots cover the fish completely (too many to count), I would abandon TTM and begin using copper just in case it's velvet.

mrpergo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a mission and had to basically tear down the tank to catch everybody. I have them all in the QT now.

Whats the best way to introduce the copper? I'm going to do as suggested and raise it slowly. As far as adding the copper, just pour it in a high flow area? Or should I pre mix it in a water change?

I had a brain fart and bought CopperPower not CopperSafe. Its another form of chelated copper but I'm wondering if I should return it and look for the other brand.

@mrpergo @Humblefish
That's what I use is Copper Power, love it.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @melypr1985 and @Humblefish. Many thanks for your feedback. Quick question; I am also doing the TTM on my maroon and two ocellaris, which were in the same tank (90g) as the clown trigger. Would it be totally irresponsible to put all 4 fish in my 10 gallon for the next phase? Or should I just put the trigger in the 10 g and the clowns in another bucket?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @melypr1985 and @Humblefish. Many thanks for your feedback. Quick question; I am also doing the TTM on my maroon and two ocellaris, which were in the same tank (90g) as the clown trigger. Would it be totally irresponsible to put all 4 fish in my 10 gallon for the next phase? Or should I just put the trigger in the 10 g and the clowns in another bucket?
I would suggest using either a bigger tank, or using the two containers as you suggest. Those clowns may fight in such small confines. Maybe split them up for this next part.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the clowns have been getting along great. The maroon specifically doesnt mind these two ocellaris. I had them for 4 months in a 30 gallon together and then for the last 3 months in the 90 gallon. But maybe in a 10 gallon things might change. I was more worried about the trigger splitting everybody in half. He's not that big but in my 90 gallon tank a royal gramma suddendly disappeared for 3 days and I found half of him underneath a rock. Not sure if it was the trigger or that he just died there.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have the ammonia to worry about putting all 4 fish in just a 10 gal tank.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the tips! Very much appreciated. I also have a 20 gallon I didnt want to use because of the amount of water I'd waste. Would that suffice for all 4 fish? Or would I be better off just spreading them out in three different bodies of water?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the tips! Very much appreciated. I also have a 20 gallon I didnt want to use because of the amount of water I'd waste. Would that suffice for all 4 fish? Or would I be better off just spreading them out in three different bodies of water?

The 20 gal would work better IMO. If aggression occurs, you can use eggcrate to divide a 20 easier than a 10 gal.

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a quick update. I made the first transfer from the buckets to a 36g bow front i still had. I just filles half of it, so 18 gallons to save some water. The clownfish seem to be doing great, a bit stressed. Although they never showed signs of disease I decided to treat them anyway since they were in the same tank as the trigger. Should I continue tresting them with the trigger if they dont show any signs of disease?

The trigger still has the same white spots. Could it be something else besides ick? And again, should I keep them with the clownfish?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454644065.637440.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454644086.358257.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454644109.642549.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chris Palm What I see from your pics still looks like ich on the trigger, so I would stay the course with TTM (5 transfers in total). Any fish that have shared water with the trigger are also possibly infected and must go along for the ride. I see no issues QT'ing your baby Clown Trigger with the clownfish. However, just remember that one day he will grow up and turn into a monster that may eat little clownfish if they tick him off. ;)

Chris Palm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Haha I know about the clown trigger. The idea is to put the clownfish in a biocube I hve cycled. But now the trigger's tank has ick. So I am not sure where I should put him in the meantime

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back