OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With TTM, what are your thoughts with cleaning powerhead and heater in vinegar and sharing between qt environments. Ok? That is one reason I went with cupramine initially. The cost (salt, double equipment)ease of care. Will a 5 minute vinegar or bleach soak between QT equipment sufficient? Or should I really invest in more equipment?

Vinegar will get the job done, but it will take more than just a 5 min soak. Take a paper towel doused with vinegar and wipe everything down so no copper residue remains on the equipment. You might need a brush to use on the powerhead.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar will get the job done, but it will take more than just a 5 min soak. Take a paper towel doused with vinegar and wipe everything down so no copper residue remains on the equipment. You might need a brush to use on the powerhead.
Oh...excellent. I can do that. Little elbow grease never hurt any one.

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang just acquired ich. I bought him along with a tank from a guy who apparently who never did water changes. What a mistake! I was thinking about putting a neon goby in to eat the parasite. I don't think this is the most efficient way to remove ich, but I don't want to remove the fish if at all possible. I will if that's the only way. Please help!

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So correct me if I'm wrong. I think you wrote that just act of equipment drying kills the parasite. Is that weather you wipe/scrub it off? I cleaned a powerhead best I could, and I'm not sure I can fully clean a hang on back filter's nooks and crannies. Will it drying completely kill the remains of ich?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So correct me if I'm wrong. I think you wrote that just act of equipment drying kills the parasite. Is that weather you wipe/scrub it off? I cleaned a powerhead best I could, and I'm not sure I can fully clean a hang on back filter's nooks and crannies. Will it drying completely kill the remains of ich?

Yes, drying kills all stages. However, it must be completely dry (very important). So, what you might want to do for your filter's nooks and crannies is run a fan over it.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did last night. It had been sitting there almost a week and when I picked it up, water dripped out. Not using it during the TTM any more. Just want to have it ready for when I'm done with it.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did last night. It had been sitting there almost a week and when I picked it up, water dripped out. Not using it during the TTM any more. Just want to have it ready for when I'm done with it.

This is why I don't like using HOB filters or powerheads for TTM, too many little nooks & crannies to worry about getting dry. Below is a video of how I do it:

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is CP and copper treatment for ich a 4 week plan? Theoretically, after 12 days in medicated tank with CP or copper, shouldn't all the trophants dropped off and the med is preventing free swimmers from reinfecting? So after 12 days, you can transfer the fish to sterile observation tank and they all should be ich free?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is CP and copper treatment for ich a 4 week plan? Theoretically, after 12 days in medicated tank with CP or copper, shouldn't all the trophants dropped off and the med is preventing free swimmers from reinfecting? So after 12 days, you can transfer the fish to sterile observation tank and they all should be ich free?

You are absolutely correct; however not everyone has 2 QTs (setup simultaneously) to use. I can't get most people to invest in even one. ;)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the best writeup on Ich ever!...... My blue tang is 10 years old now... first year It would get ich from time to time.. I was scared having lost fish in the past to ich...However, the fish was very healthy and feeding a balanced diet resulted in the ich eventually just disappearing on its own after 1 year.. After reading this I now better understand how ich worked in my system. The Ich was never able to get a stangle hold on my system and by having healthy fish this was going again what ich feeds on..(weak immune system, stress, etc). I think it also helped that did not overstock large fish in a small tank..,More fish = More stress = More ich hosts. In my case I determined that removing all the fish could be more risky so I just let it run its course. I am glad it worked out but I am definitely a fan of QT new fish now.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh. so if you have copper in ur qt would i need to use separate buckets etc?

cannot just wash with water

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh. so if you have copper in ur qt would i need to use separate buckets etc?

cannot just wash with water

I use dedicated buckets for QT. If I'm going to start using one for a different purpose, I wipe it out using a vinegar soaked paper towel and then allow it to air dry for at least 72 hours beforehand.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well being late to the quarantine game and still trying to catch my fire fish which keeps going in my pukani rock I am glad to know. Fortunately I have so many buckets lol

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad thing is i cant find my favorite coral frag after taking everything apart and getting my fish all out of my tank. 76 days from now Nov 15th arg

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish If I am understanding the life cycle correctly. Wouldn't we have to treat fish in Copper or CP for up to 72 days? Why only 30 days? If the free swimming stage is the only stage Copper or CP will work, what if we are battling the strand that takes up to 72 days to release all of its free swimmers? Does the copper effectively kill all of the tomites at the time of the first free swimmer being released?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish If I am understanding the life cycle correctly. Wouldn't we have to treat fish in Copper or CP for up to 72 days? Why only 30 days? If the free swimming stage is the only stage Copper or CP will work, what if we are battling the strand that takes up to 72 days to release all of its free swimmers? Does the copper effectively kill all of the tomites at the time of the first free swimmer being released?

You are correct, copper/CP only kills the free swimming stage. Therefore at the end of 30 days you have two options:
  1. Observe the fish to ensure the parasite has been fully eradicated.
  2. Move the fish to another QT (at least 10 feet away); thereby transferring the fish away from any unhatched tomonts (in the original treatment tank.)
Most strains of ich complete their entire lifecycle in 30 days or less. In a perfect world we would treat for 72 days just to be sure, but I doubt most fish would survive that.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am sure that is also why you recommend the 2 week observation period to look for any signs of infestation. Hopefully I am observant enough to notice behavioral signs if the parasite is only in the gills.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am sure that is also why you recommend the 2 week observation period to look for any signs of infestation. Hopefully I am observant enough to notice behavioral signs if the parasite is only in the gills.

You may not see visible physical symptoms, but behavioral symptoms will usually be noticeable if a fish still has ich:
  • Heavy breathing
  • Reduced appetite
  • Scratching/flashing
  • Head twitching
  • Erratic swimming behavior

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back