Ich Discussion and treatment options.

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a great thread I learned a lot and after noticing my blue tang getting Ich now I know what works and what doesn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread! After trying several different "reef safe" snake oil solutions and losing a lot of fish, I decided to do hypo on my display tank. I had been getting ready to remove my pukani rock because of severe po4 issues and replace it with newly cycled marco rock so I decided I would just hypo my dt and go from there. I have left a few pieces of rock in there for hiding and biological reasons.

I have a few questions.....
1) I lowered my sg over a 48 hr period and I cant seem to get it past 1.010. I have been pulling out 10g at a time now to try and get it lower but just doesnt seem to want to go below that 1.010 point. I am afraid that if I do a larger amount of a wc I will overshoot the 1.009 target. Am I ok leaving it at 1.010?
2) My skimmer is no longer producing bubbles because of the lowered sg level. Should I leave it on or is it just wasting energy at this point?
3) How oftern should I feed? I normally feed twice a day but now I have been feeding less more often each day.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread! After trying several different "reef safe" snake oil solutions and losing a lot of fish, I decided to do hypo on my display tank. I had been getting ready to remove my pukani rock because of severe po4 issues and replace it with newly cycled marco rock so I decided I would just hypo my dt and go from there. I have left a few pieces of rock in there for hiding and biological reasons.

I have a few questions.....
1) I lowered my sg over a 48 hr period and I cant seem to get it past 1.010. I have been pulling out 10g at a time now to try and get it lower but just doesnt seem to want to go below that 1.010 point. I am afraid that if I do a larger amount of a wc I will overshoot the 1.009 target. Am I ok leaving it at 1.010?
2) My skimmer is no longer producing bubbles because of the lowered sg level. Should I leave it on or is it just wasting energy at this point?
3) How oftern should I feed? I normally feed twice a day but now I have been feeding less more often each day.

From studies, there is a possibility, though slim, that Ich can survive at 1.010. All studies have shown that no Ich has been known to survive 1.009. I still think you'd be okay at 1.010. Remember to test often, with a calibrated Refractometer. Even small amounts of evaporation will raise your SG levels. Be sure to top off EVERY DAY, with RO/DI water, to keep your salinity from rising.

Turn your skimmer off, unless it's helping to aerate the water.

As long as your fish are eating ALL of the food, within 60 seconds, you're fine. If, after 60 seconds, there's still food remaining, cut down on your feedings.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From studies, there is a possibility, though slim, that Ich can survive at 1.010. All studies have shown that no Ich has been known to survive 1.009. I still think you'd be okay at 1.010. Remember to test often, with a calibrated Refractometer. Even small amounts of evaporation will raise your SG levels. Be sure to top off EVERY DAY, with RO/DI water, to keep your salinity from rising.

Turn your skimmer off, unless it's helping to aerate the water.

As long as your fish are eating ALL of the food, within 60 seconds, you're fine. If, after 60 seconds, there's still food remaining, cut down on your feedings.

I have my ATO running 24/7 and have been checking the sg level nightly only after calibrating my refractometer. I will try a 20g change tonight to see if that can get me to the target. It was a lot of work and a difficult decision to go hypo in dt so I want to make sure it works.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next question...came home tonight to find my gold flake angel bloated like a thanksgiving day parade balloon. I am assuming its an internal parasite and wanted to know if I can use prazipro while the tank is hypo?

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next question...came home tonight to find my gold flake angel bloated like a thanksgiving day parade balloon. I am assuming its an internal parasite and wanted to know if I can use prazipro while the tank is hypo?

Unfortunately, that question is beyond my scope. I'd suggest starting a new thread, in this same forum, Fish Discussion That way, you'll get more advice, dedicated to that specific concern.

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to start my reef soon, I just noticed that my one clown is infected with ich....

I just put my dragonette in too :(

Now only one clown is infected and i beilved that maybe my royal gamma is too :(

I have a cleaner shrimp in the tank but he doesnt look interested in cleaning anything other than the rock (found he wont touch ich lol)

29g
Reef octopus BH-1000 HOB skimmer
1.025 salinity
Amonia- untraceable
Nitrites- untraceable
Nitrates- untraceable
PH- 7.9

I check salinity with a refractometer

I have no corals in the tank

Is hypo a good idea? and will it affect my ability to get corals in afterward?
My LR has a ton of coraline on it, will i lose that?
I just found how much ICH is 180% different in marine aquariums lol

The clown is eating a little bit, ive been giving him a micture of brine shrimp, mysis, clams, and osters but he looked really bad this morning

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo is not effective on ich,I think u must quarantine the fish and treated with copper

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo is not effective on ich,I think u must quarantine the fish and treated with copper

Not sure where you're getting your information but Hyposalinity treatment, if done correctly, is very effective against Ich.

Randy1506

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my case I solved the problem by increasing the temperature of my chiller to 82 degrees that accelerates the incubation period of the parasite and medicate with Ich attack

lost02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help skinny and sick looking goby.
Ich?
1391121983286.jpg

Kennyw43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help I have no luck with angel fish they always get ich such as the one I just brought yesterday

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back