ICH treatment-Copper/Tank Transfer Hybrid

n4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the infected fish has been in copper at a therapeutic level for 2 weeks and the ICH cycle on the fish itself is 3-7 days theoretically the fish should be clear of ICH. However, most of us know that it can take 6-11 weeks for all the cycst to hatch so any substrate in the tank will still be infected.

If the fish was removed at the 2 week mark from the copper treated tank to a sterile separate system (tank transfer) or another tank with a bath in between of separate water it should be ICH free correct?

I have not done this and not saying it will work. It's just a theory I have and seeing if there is something I'm missing. Anyone do this method of quarantine or treatment?

Reason why: To less the time and stress the fish has to be in copper (especially for copper sensitive fish) and to minimize the labor/cost and stress for the tank transfer method.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the infected fish has been in copper at a therapeutic level for 2 weeks and the ICH cycle on the fish itself is 3-7 days theoretically the fish should be clear of ICH. However, most of us know that it can take 6-11 weeks for all the cycst to hatch so any substrate in the tank will still be infected.

If the fish was removed at the 2 week mark from the copper treated tank to a sterile separate system (tank transfer) or another tank with a bath in between of separate water it should be ICH free correct?

I have not done this and not saying it will work. It's just a theory I have and seeing if there is something I'm missing. Anyone do this method of quarantine or treatment?

Reason why: To less the time and stress the fish has to be in copper (especially for copper sensitive fish) and to minimize the labor/cost and stress for the tank transfer method.

You are correct. Humblefish does this, but you have to be absolutely sure your copper never -not once- dropped below therapeutic levels during that two weeks. You'll also want to be sure you observe the fish in the new QT for at least two weeks to be sure A: it worked and B: nothing else pops up that needs addressing.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, I have my doubts with my skills and lack of testing several times per day. Humble can make it work but I'm not smart enough

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back