ID hitchhiker anemone

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have an ID on this one? Not the usual aiptasia or majano.

I have a couple in my sump, they seem to only stretch out at night, cause I only see them out when I turn the lights on abruptly.

thankx

IMG_2056.jpg

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball anemone :) May be pseudocorynactis. They're cool and are usually in the dark. I've actually seen one in my 'fuge take down a big amphipod. Pack a good sting, but stay tiny and hang out where nothing else does. Not a pest.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jewel anemone might be a possiblity. When I was at Shedd's last they had several tanks set up with jewel anemones covering everthing. The tanks were really beautiful, but the jewels are like mojano's in regards to their reef compatibility.

Here's a link on jewels. They have many color variations making them a bit difficult to truly ID.

Jewel anemone - Corynactis viridis - ARKive

Jeremy

OP
OP
B

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, you guys got me a couple different yet plausible answers, not sure which one it really is?

if anybody wants one to feed, play with or poke, ive got a couple

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all pretty much the same nems bri. All fall under the common name of 'ball anemone' and behave alike.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two on the lower portion of one of my large clams. They have not moved, grown or reproduced since I have had the clam in my tank for 2 years.

OP
OP
B

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copied off melve's site

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another tiny and virtually undetectable creature is the Orange Ball Anemone. It is actually from the mushroom family, and not an anemone at all. However, due to its appearance, it was named accordingly.

at first I thought maybe it was a bleached out ric yuma the first time I saw it, so that isn't too far fetched.
[/FONT]

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks kinda cool, better than all the "anemones" that I have.....

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all pretty much the same nems bri. All fall under the common name of 'ball anemone' and behave alike.

I hadn't realized they jewel, ball, and strawberry anemones were all merely the same animal with very slight variations. There are so many color variations of each that I'm not sure how a person would really tell the difference.

It may very well depend on the species or it's tendancy of activity, but many are harmful and can sting nearby animals.

From this link:
Strawberry Anemone, Club Tipped Anemone, Corynactis californica Mushroom Coral Information and Corallimorph Pictures

Compatibility and Social Behaviors Care needs to be taken when housing these animals. The Corynactis genus are aggressive. If they are near another coral they can cause other corals to loose tissue, recess and/or die. They typically overtake other corals as they multiply. The C. californica will extrude their mesenteries into certain sea anemones and corals and kill them. They will extend their filaments resulting in all other corals, including zoanthids, to retract, move, or die. The Corynactis genus will only get along with their own species, and will not even tolerate mushroom species outside their colony. Even in one genus, if the color is different, again a different species, the weaker mushroom will detach and find another location. Strong water movement will also cause them to detach as well. Slow moving fish and shrimp run a risk of being consumed by the Corynactis genus.

Until I found out better (several years ago) I used to feed my little mojano that came in as a "bonus" on a frag plug. It was so small initially I thought it was some sort of zoanthid. After some target feeding it grew and turned into a really cool looking miniature nem. After having it for about a year I decided to try to get an ID and people immediately said it's a mojano and I should get rid of it immediately before I have a plague. I liked the little guy so I didn't get rid of it and actually continued to feed it. Initially it never moved or caused any problems. One day it decided to split and then I had three!! That was about four years ago and I now have about 7-8 mojano's in the entire 180. Sometimes they move to near a coral and cause problems and need to be removed, but for the most part they haven't become a plague and (IMO) they add a nice bit of diversity of fauna in my tank. Some people see one mojano one day then the tank is filled by the next week and they are killing off everything. I'm lucky enough to have been able to enjoy them in small numbers for several years.

I suspect these little jewel, ball, strawberry.... anemones are similar in some respects. I bet there are some strains that split often and move frequently while stinging corals along the way, and there are likely some that are content at staying put and not causing chaos. What I found interesting in researching them, is that most come from colder climates and often require temps much lower than a typical reef tank. The reef tank temperatures may irritate it and cause it to split more often or supress it's ability to thrive and proliferate. Obviously there are some species that tolerate warmer water but many bits of info highlighted the fact that these are primarily animals that come from "colder" areas. What I saw at Shedd's were some really beautiful little nems, but that was all that was in those tanks. They would be nice to enjoy in small numbers but likley have potential to have explosive populations if given the right circumstances.

I say enjoy the little guys but be cautious if they seem to be multiplying fast. I'd actually like to pick one up from you the next time I'm in your area Bri.

Jeremy

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Critter Corner: Strawberry anemone | Hatfield Marine Science Center Visitor Center

pretty sure this is what it is, seems what john has is close to what i think to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by evanjah; Yesterday at 03:50 PM.

Sorry not one of the strawberry anemones from the Pacific Coast. Those guys are very temperate in terms of their water temp likes and would not tolerate one of our "warm: tanks. I just (yesterday) saw a display on them down here in Florida and they like cooooold water. The FL aquarium has them in a touch tank for the kids and we were in the tank up tour elbows. The arms from the elbows down then froze and fell off as the water was too cold to be in very long.
Beautiful lil critter Bri and probably one of the aforementioned ball anemones but not a strawberry anemone from the Pacific.

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i just found a strawberry on a large rock and a purple large pseudocorynactis multiplying on a frag rock eating zoas.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back