Internal Issues

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish dumb question when feeding with Metroplex (or Metro-MS) when the food is added to the tank will it at all affect inverts? i have had a pistol shrimp for a few years and my royal gramma of 2 has intestinal worms.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also when you use Seachem Focus to make the food soak "reef safe" what happens to the coral that catch the food? I have a LPS tank and there's no stopping them from catching food

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sps dominated reef, the focus binds the metro into the food making it safe. Corals are just fine. The only concern should be the fish not eating the medicated food

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sps dominated reef, the focus binds the metro into the food making it safe. Corals are just fine. The only concern should be the fish not eating the medicated food

+1 Although running carbon whilst feeding metro soaked food is a good insurance policy, just in case a little gets into the water. ;)

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different genera & species of intestinal worms, some more dangerous than others. A few are relatively mild. For example, I know a lady who had a tomato clownfish with stringy white poop for 9 years before she finally soaked his food in metro and it went away. So as with many diseases, hardiness and overall health of the fish also comes into play.
So I have a clown with white stringy poop...should I just feed EVERY fish in my DT, or should I take just the one fish out to QT and feed him there....in other words, do I need to worry about all the fish contracting these pests?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clown with white stringy poop...should I just feed EVERY fish in my DT, or should I take just the one fish out to QT and feed him there....in other words, do I need to worry about all the fish contracting these pests?

Feed all your fish metro or prazi soaked food. If one fish has internal parasites, odds are the others have them as well.

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should you do if the clown is not eating?

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish isn't eating, the second best way to treat is by putting him in a QT and dosing the water instead of the food.
Treat the qt with general cure? Is general cure reef safe?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure is just prazipro and metrodozanol, so if those are not, then general cure isn't. I suspect it is not.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You would treat the water in QT with the general cure. It's not something I would put in my reef.

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clown in a 5g tank and got general cure in it. Can I put melafix as well to treat the fin damage?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clown in a 5g tank and got general cure in it. Can I put melafix as well to treat the fin damage?

I'm not sure about mixing melafix in with general cure. I wouldn't mix those two together if you can help it. Metroplex, which is in General cure has antibiotic properties.

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about mixing melafix in with general cure. I wouldn't mix those two together if you can help it. Metroplex, which is in General cure has antibiotic properties.
Ok thanks and what is th treatment timeframe? According to the box it's 4 days 2 treatments. One ever 48 hours

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks and what is th treatment timeframe? According to the box it's 4 days 2 treatments. One ever 48 hours

Well, you are treating for intestinal worms so that can take 10 days or longer. Treating the water may take longer than that and some intestinal worms can be very stubborn, so it could be two weeks or so.

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you are treating for intestinal worms so that can take 10 days or longer. Treating the water may take longer than that and some intestinal worms can be very stubborn, so it could be two weeks or so.

So I'll be adding half a packet every 2 days for 2 weeks? It's a 5g tank and also can I run some purigen in the back compartment as well?

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown won't eat as well. Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe broadcast feed and hopefully he gets it in the water column?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back