Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...but if you were referring to the Performance Guarantee (that just dawned on me)...if you want an L8 or L16 I'm about 95% sure...
Thanks for your generous offer. I do not want to cut into any of your profitability just to have something to play with earlier. I've learned over my decades of being (... or trying to be) an Aquarist that hurrying up is only good when you're trying to head off an impending disaster. Patience pays.

I am good with waiting for the real McCoy. Good luck on your next runs.
fab

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine this week, it was packed perfectly, obviously a lot of time went into preparing it for shipment. I got it set up this weekend, and I have to say the cool factor of my sump area went up lol. Can't wait to see how it works on my system.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine this week, it was packed perfectly, obviously a lot of time went into preparing it for shipment. I got it set up this weekend, and I have to say the cool factor of my sump area went up lol. Can't wait to see how it works on my system.
Shipping is one thing that I have always paid close attention to. The previous versions required a LOT more packaging - the acrylic was more fragile and the heat sinks were bulkier, so I used a lot of packing peanuts and a big box (though it was still pretty snug in there)

The custom heat sinks and ABS vs acrylic really cut down on the shipping weight. The Rev 3 L2 weighed in at 16 lbs in a 12x12x12 cube box (shipping weight). The Rev 4 L2 weighs in at 10.5 lbs in a 14x10x10 box (shipping weight) - verified on a USPS scale today (first Rev 4 L2 shipped internationally today, UK bound). That's a 33% reduction in overall weight!

Plus, it doesn't require nearly as much padding due to the impact resistance of ABS, so out with the packing peanuts and in with fill-pak (brown paper, much more environmentally friendly and WAY easier to stock!!).

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bud,
I just installed my new L2. Everything went great. Very impressed with the build quality. I like the mortar coated screen to initiate algae growth. Thanks again Bud. Good luck getting caught up. I'm sure with more and more great reviews, you will even be busier. I will update with a few pictures after a week or so.
upload_2016-3-19_21-14-49.png

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first crack at the mounting brackets was an epic engineering fail. They are no where close to as rigid as they need to me. Exploring a couple possible modifications / options, but in the meantime I will be making custom acrylic brackets.

I'll be posting up some information on these over the next few days, I have a bit of a crunch to push through before visiting family this coming weekend.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine today and just have one complaint ......
The one thing that Floyed
forgot and it took me about a half hour to try to figure it out was........................ The directions on how to unpack it ....lol what a packing he did never seen anything like it .
Anther thing I would like to say I would never buy a scrubber from anyone else what craftsmanship never seen anything like it .....also all the supplies that come with it nothing was forgotten ..... I don't think anyone has gone through all the thinking and getting all the bugs out ...this is quality .....
Oh and like I mentioned to Floyd I only deal with people like him . All of my equipment comes from guys like Floyd . And Floyd whenever you come to New York you are welcome to pick out anything in my store ...lol

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my install.

IMG_20160324_203417.jpg

IMG_20160324_203447.jpg

IMG_20160324_203457.jpg
Those are probably the coolest brackets I've seen! Very nice. Did you drill holes through the 4 corners of the base & through the brackets and add thumbscrews to secure it in place? You might find yourself getting a few requests for those

I can see in your pics that the lid isn't quite all the way on. Start at one end and slide your hand to the other end and it will snap down all the way. There is a lip on the inside of the lid which matches the inside of the Growth Chamber and prevents condensation on the lid from getting out - so you want that to be snapped into the top of the Growth Chamber. The Growth Chamber is sometimes a little bowed inward due to cooling shrinkage out of the mold, so you have to get the lid on at one end and swipe across and that will get the two parts locked in together.

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a pump for your supply or is it plumbed off your drain?

Running off of the overflow drain. I had to add a valve to the tail end of the drain to create some back pressure. It was making a gurgling noise otherwise. I think it was pulling water back from the ATS without that valve.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably back-siphoning, my first setup was similar to your except I plumbed the full flow to the scrubber then had a bypass line right before it that was a T in the pipe with a 90 over and down to the sump. The slightest flow out that bypass caused it to siphon and kill the flow to the scrubber.

What I might try in your instance is something similar so that the pressure stays on the scrubber but allows for bypass in the case of a clog (something coming down the pipe and snagging on the screen inside the slot pipe, not the slot pipe clogging with algae)

Emergencyoverflow.jpg

Writeup on the general idea is here in the Basics thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.63113/page-3#post-873376

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back