Is a controller WORTH it for me?

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in all these Black Friday deals I was able to build my perfect controller. It's going to be a Reefkeeper lite with BRS's specially salinity modual and PH probe package. Then I would get a net modual and a salinity probe. All this for $399 shipped. Now this is perfect for me because it monitors temp, ph, and salinity (exactly what I want) and it is much cheaper then doing the same things with an apex (Although fusion does look very nice.) But here is the catch. I only will have the tank for the next 2 and a half years (for sure) before I go off to college. So is it WORTH spending that type of money on the controller (not that money is an issue actually) I know it's not neccisary as many "should I get" threads of this type state, but would this investment be worth it for the next 2 years. I'll also add in here that I travel quite a bit but that my lighting and ATO are already self controlled.

Thanks,
Thenanoreef

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was debating earlier on the same thing.

It is more then a tool, it can be peace of mind. Being able to monitor your tank and respond quicker to any potential problems. Or inform your tank sitter how t correctly deal with a issue.

Also you can always save it for a later build or sell it and recoup some of the money later.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth it to have a controller. I have the Archon but started with the RKE in 2008.

OP
OP
thenanoreef

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think I have convinced my self, now to convince my parents. Any advice for that? Lol

Thenanoreef

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel like crazy for work. You'd think I'd be all over a tank controller. I have yet to see any value in it, personally. Ive looked at it numerous times and have tried to even convince myself it's worth it and every single time I come away with the same conclusion just not worth it. I don't know that there is even a price point where it becomes a deal or value I just can't pass up.
I have focused on solid and good equipment purchases, making controllers for me unnecessary.
Now if it successfully monitors the 3 main elements, then we're talking value! This is just my opinion.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run a tank for two weeks without a controller, let alone two years. Anyone saying that a controller isn't worth it simply hasn't looked at what it does close enough. Granted everybody's situation is different. A controller set up right gives a consistency and reliability to your tank that simply can't happen any other way. How much money are you investing in your tank? If you count the gear and the livestock, I imagine it is in the thousands. Is spending $400 to monitor and protect it worth it? I would say so.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and btw, Ive run a 150g very successfully for 4.5 years and never had a problem that a controller would have helped at all.
Ive run a 30 gallon for a year successfully and had one issue that I caused but a controller wouldn't have mattered.
So if peace of mind is what you need, a controller imo will not do much. Great equipment all running well is key to success. Plus a bit of prayer! :)

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run a tank without a controller again. I've got the apex personally & love it. There's a lot of great information for its users on their forum. May I ask why you want to measure salinity? Though nice to have, I've always seen them as a waste/going overboard. You can set up extra float switches to monitor an ATO going out of whack, etc. $399 and you're pretty close to an apex. Keep in mind that they have a pretty good resale value & get snatched up pretty quick on the used equipment boards. Just something to keep in mind if you really were wanting the Apex. You could always keep it until you get back in the game.

The RKL is the older controller & may be phased out eventually? The Archon is their newer product, but don't know too many details on it. Maybe someone could chime in on the RKL for you.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the RKL getting phased out any time soon as that is their entry level controller. The PC4's or PB4's and the SL2 modules can be used with the Archon if you want to upgrade at any time. The Archon has built in NET and WiFi so no need for it to support the NET module.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely will not use the salinity probe
(My salinity probe on My reefkeeper Never worked correctly
and the company has Never responded to my e-mails about it).

You would do Much better getting an Apex for a little more.
The APEX is a far more capable controller and has far better support.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feel reliable equipment and a good setup is a better piece of mind than a controller. I don't use a heater or chiller and if you lose power it won't matter. I thought many times about getting an Apex controller but the cost does not make sense and if it fails then so does everything connected to it. Just get separate controllers for the items that must have it. You will only run the chance that one item may stop working and if it needs replaced or upgraded you are not replacing an all in one control. Beside most major problems happen when you are asleep or hundreds of miles away.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel like crazy for work. You'd think I'd be all over a tank controller. I have yet to see any value in it, personally. Ive looked at it numerous times and have tried to even convince myself it's worth it and every single time I come away with the same conclusion just not worth it. I don't know that there is even a price point where it becomes a deal or value I just can't pass up.
I have focused on solid and good equipment purchases, making controllers for me unnecessary.
Now if it successfully monitors the 3 main elements, then we're talking value! This is just my opinion.
If you don't need an auto topoff, a timer for lights, a heat and cooling controller, an auto feeder, and high quality PH, Temp and Salinity probes, then a controller is not for you. Its just not worth it.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't need an auto topoff, a timer for lights, a heat and cooling controller, an auto feeder, and high quality PH, Temp and Salinity probes, then a controller is not for you. Its just not worth it.
Tunze ozmolator has all you need for top off. Lights a simple timer or like mine the controller is built into the lights. PH controller for calcium reactor. There are auto feeders with built in timers. I can leave for ten days and only an extended power outage might cause a problem or bad return pump.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SL2v2 module and probe has no issues. It is the same ones used on the Archon.

OP
OP
thenanoreef

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your information. I was thinking of adding the salinity probe because I have never owned a refractometer only a swing arm hydrometer. I figure monitoring salinity isn't something I regularly do, so having it always available would be really nice. I would like an apex but I'm looking at at least $150 more for the ph probe package, then whatever it would cost to add on the salinity probe (like another $125) . I agree that good equipment is better than a controller, but I only run a heater and lights along with a retun pump and RW-4 nothing could really go wrong other than the heater failing. I am looking at this more for monitoring than control. And this would offer the little bit of redundancy I need and connect my data to the web (rather than buying multiple pinpoint individual monitors). Those are my thoughts currently although I'm going to need to pull the trigger by the end of the weekend if this is actually going to happen. I'm just fighting myself, playing devils advocate saying "do I really need this? At what point is it all TOO much?"

Thanks

Thenanoreef

JimSWreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn't agree more, but i am ignorant with controllers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back