Is Kalk all it’s cracked up to be?

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldnt have read this all over again... ugh. Ive been second guessing myself recently

So do we want to dose kalk for the total water volume of the system or just the ATO res?

110g total = 220tsp or 5g ato = 10 tsp?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are starting with lime powder, then your goal is to create saturated lime water. Around 6 grams per gallon of RODI should do it, if I recall correctly.

If you are starting by calculating your required dose to increase calcium, alkalinity or magnesium on the Reef Chemistry Calculator, then you calculate everything based off your total (actual) system volume.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

P.S. kalkwasser - That article makes a great refresh on the details of kalk. Might even be worth printing out. (Remember that? LOL) But seriously...there are a few things like this that I do still keep on hand in hardcopy. It's just too handy.

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I shouldnt have read this all over again... ugh. Ive been second guessing myself recently

So do we want to dose kalk for the total water volume of the system or just the ATO res?

110g total = 220tsp or 5g ato = 10 tsp?

Definitely ATO reservoir. DO NOT dose 220 tsp, lol!

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a tunze ATO, will that little white powerhead it comes with have enough power to drive the kalk reactor? so far i use 5 gallon bucket for my ato water. should u get a bigger tub for my ATO water and place the reactor inside of it? i have no more room under my 75 gallon stand.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tunze Osmolator will push water through your kalk reactor with no issues. I use an Osmolator with a massive GEO KR818 kalk reactor, and it works like a charm.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a tunze ATO, will that little white powerhead it comes with have enough power to drive the kalk reactor? so far i use 5 gallon bucket for my ato water. should u get a bigger tub for my ATO water and place the reactor inside of it? i have no more room under my 75 gallon stand.

They make it to power their own reactor (Tunze 5074) so I'd say YES. :)

And FWIW their reactor is designed to go INSIDE the ato reservoir. I have my 5074 inside a standard five gallon bucket.

(Maybe you should consider the 5074? Seems like a perfect fit. I like the ultimate simplicity of it.)

-Matt

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make it to power their own reactor (Tunze 5074) so I'd say YES. :)

And FWIW their reactor is designed to go INSIDE the ato reservoir. I have my 5074 inside a standard five gallon bucket.

(Maybe you should consider the 5074? Seems like a perfect fit. I like the ultimate simplicity of it.)

thank you matt ! this is perfect

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i correct that before starting kalk your calcium, mag and dkh have to be spot on then dose kalk to keep it stable? What if your mag is super high and you can't get it to come down?

Jackie
125g mixed reef

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parms:
1600 mg
460 ca
7.3 dkh (night and way low but when kalk dripped in the past it would jump to 10-11dkh so kalk would get this in check)
Ph 7.8
Po4 .002
No3 0

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i correct that before starting kalk your calcium, mag and dkh have to be spot on then dose kalk to keep it stable?

No, they don't have to be anywhere, really. Some things will use up alk quicker, for example, like algae, so you'd still need to dose alk (baking soda).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i correct that before starting kalk your calcium, mag and dkh have to be spot on then dose kalk to keep it stable? What if your mag is super high and you can't get it to come down?

If you had parameters that were too low I'd say bring em up individually to the correct levels. High magnesium won't be an issue though....it'll come down to normal as your stony corals grow in if nothing else brings it down to normal. No worries either way though.

-Matt

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 2 little fishes at first until it constantly back flowed into my ato water container. I upgraded to a avaste marine and solenoid and never looked back

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they don't have to be anywhere, really. Some things will use up alk quicker, for example, like algae, so you'd still need to dose alk (baking soda).

Thank you! Luckily the only algae i have atm is coraline :) i adjusted the alk last night. It just seemed odd to me that my alk stayed pretty steady then suddenly dropped. I'm thinking this also may have to do with opening up all the house windows and doors for 2 beautiful days. Not sure

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had parameters that were too low I'd say bring em up individually to the correct levels. High magnesium won't be an issue though....it'll come down to normal as your stony corals grow in if nothing else brings it down to normal. No worries either way though.

-Matt

Thanks Matt! I was a bit worried. My new try at acros and millies begins today. I finally have an ato set up and have started dripping kalk. A tlf kalk reactor is on it's way and a local guy (1 hr away) gave me an unbeatable deal ($60 total) on 6 gorgeous frags that he even delivered to me today. Plus Chris is sending me a nice green slimer the end of the week. I am very nervous and hoping all these guys make it. I tried 2 times before and lost eventually :(

Jackie

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that problem in winter as the increased condensation plays havoc on levels. I treat my top of water with additive to compensate for that drop. We're all scientists around these tanks but I haven't changed the lint trap in my laundry room. Wife loves it...lol

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that problem in winter as the increased condensation plays havoc on levels. I treat my top of water with additive to compensate for that drop. We're all scientists around these tanks but I haven't changed the lint trap in my laundry room. Wife loves it...lol

Lol, I hear ya!

Just retested the alk after adjusting last night and did the rest while i was at it. I might have read the mg wrong the first time.

Alk 10
Ca 450
Mg 1400
Po4 .002
No3 0

Ph is finally coming up at 8.1
.... do to open windows or kalk, I wonder?

I'm feeling a little better :D

Jackie

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back