Is Kalk all it’s cracked up to be?

bluwtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm too lazy to actually read through the full thread I figured I'd just add my comments here and if it's already been said, I apologize.

I've been running Kalk for over 3 years now. I run it in my ATO as it is the easiest way for me to do it. I use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime--get it at Wal-Mart for about $2 a bag. I mix a heaping 1/3 cup of the powder to 5 gallons of RO/DI water. I mix it very well, put the lid on and let it sit until I need to use it. When it's time to use, I decant only the clear portion into my ATO container. Done.

One thing about Kalk is that it will last almost indefinitely if covered. Kalk reacts with CO2 in the atmosphere and forms CaCO3. Cool thing about this is that it actually forms a floating crust ad this crust prevents further development of CaCO3 by acting like a seal.

Someone asked about what was left in the bottom. You can usually get three mixes before you have to discard as each new mix removes the calcium hydroxide to a point where it just isn't worth the trouble. Pickling lime will only dissolve to a super-saturated point and then the rest just settles to the bottom (that's why I can get three mixes). One way you can increase the super-saturation is to add a little white vinegar to the mix. This allows more solubility of the lime therefor increasing the amount in the solution.

I take my ATO container out from under the stand about 4 times a year, wipe it down with vinegar, clean the pump very well, and fill it up again.

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this correct?

Ok my tank volume is 75 gallons. My ATO real our is 6 gallons. I just picked up
My mrs wages pickling lime. I plan on starting low with ATO top off at 1tsp
Per gallon of ATO water l. I will mix in a separate container and decant the top portion minus
The bottom slurry. My question is how long does it take for the water to saturate after mixing?
Should I let it sit for half a day prior to use? How much distiller vinegar should I use per gallon
? 45 ml per gallon? Thanks!!

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm too lazy to actually read through the full thread I figured I'd just add my comments here and if it's already been said, I apologize.

I've been running Kalk for over 3 years now. I run it in my ATO as it is the easiest way for me to do it. I use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime--get it at Wal-Mart for about $2 a bag. I mix a heaping 1/3 cup of the powder to 5 gallons of RO/DI water. I mix it very well, put the lid on and let it sit until I need to use it. When it's time to use, I decant only the clear portion into my ATO container. Done.

One thing about Kalk is that it will last almost indefinitely if covered. Kalk reacts with CO2 in the atmosphere and forms CaCO3. Cool thing about this is that it actually forms a floating crust ad this crust prevents further development of CaCO3 by acting like a seal.

Someone asked about what was left in the bottom. You can usually get three mixes before you have to discard as each new mix removes the calcium hydroxide to a point where it just isn't worth the trouble. Pickling lime will only dissolve to a super-saturated point and then the rest just settles to the bottom (that's why I can get three mixes). One way you can increase the super-saturation is to add a little white vinegar to the mix. This allows more solubility of the lime therefor increasing the amount in the solution.

I take my ATO container out from under the stand about 4 times a year, wipe it down with vinegar, clean the pump very well, and fill it up again.
That's very close to the way I do it, except I mix it right in my ato container. What settles to the bottom will have a chance to mix next time I fill it. I purposely add too much to make sure it's saturated since I use only kalk in an sps dominant system. I only use vinegar during the winter months since my evaporation rate falls. Been doing it this way for at least 7 years with great success and great growth. I'm a big believer in kalk and Mrs wages works for me.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my tank volume is 75 gallons. My ATO real our is 6 gallons. I just picked up
My mrs wages pickling lime. I plan on starting low with ATO top off at 1tsp
Per gallon of ATO water l. I will mix in a separate container and decant the top portion minus
The bottom slurry. My question is how long does it take for the water to saturate after mixing?
Should I let it sit for half a day prior to use? How much distiller vinegar should I use per gallon
? 45 ml per gallon? Thanks!!
n my experience didn't go too well adding KALK to my ATO. my evaporation rate was a bit too much and it shot my calcium to 490. So i decided to mix the KALK and use a dosing pump to add it. that way i can control how much is being added to keep my parameters in line. some people have luck using their ATO but i like to have control with something as dangerous as KALK. Just my opinion :)

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were adding too much through your top off all you have to do is mix it weaker. My system is at the point where it needs it mixed fully saturated. Using some form of control is always better with anything, but it's not always necessary. Either way, if used properly kalk can get the job done.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were adding too much through your top off all you have to do is mix it weaker. My system is at the point where it needs it mixed fully saturated. Using some form of control is always better with anything, but it's not always necessary. Either way, if used properly kalk can get the job done.
well I used 1 teAspoon per gallon which is the minimum dosage. I now dose a 2part and kalk because kalk is great for providing alkalinity and calcium but it doesn't contain trace elements and micro nutrients so I don't depend on it fully .

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If what you're doing is working don't change it, but one teaspoon per gallon isn't the minimum dosage. You can mix one teaspoon per 2 gallons or one per 3 gallons. The minimum would be no kalk per gallon.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a TLF kalk reactor with a jbj ato and maxijet. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks. When I used to use the gravity method my numbers were inconsistent and kh would jump high. When I added it to the ato tank it made it a mess. Now with the reactor it is all coming in check. All things are finally just about in balance and I couldn't be happier.

Kh 9.0 (down from 11- my target 8.4)
Mg 1360
Ca 460 (a smidge high but ok)
Ph 8.3 (never had ph above 7.8)
Temp 78
Po4 .002
No3 0

Jackie

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should use some form of Kalk is Geerman for lime...so I buy food grade pickling lime anda pinch of calcium and make a slurry. 1/16 of a tea spoon, cold ROdi water,NO SALT and a half a cup of water. put it in a few hours before your lights to prevent Ph swings....Been doing this for 15 years, works great

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If what you're doing is working don't change it, but one teaspoon per gallon isn't the minimum dosage. You can mix one teaspoon per 2 gallons or one per 3 gallons. The minimum would be no kalk per gallon.
very true. Once I spiked my calcium it took forever to come down. So now I use kalk at full strength of 2 teaspoons per gallon but dosing prevents any spikes or shortages. I don't have to depend on evaporation rates which change every season . Or god forbid I get a leak from a hose or something like that and then my ato dumps kalk into my tank killing everything . I guess I'm just paranoid lol

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carbon dose wit vinegar on a drip method can I mix the kalk in there too????????

dragonfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Before I had great success with kalk mixer
I'm gonna add this reactor couse my reef is really anemic hopefully it's gonna help
IMG_20170424_131632.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carbon dose wit vinegar on a drip method can I mix the kalk in there too????????

Yes, you can mix calcium hydroxide into vinegar. When manual dosing vinegar, I think that is the best way: take the amount of vinegar you want to dose, and add enough calcium hydroxide until there is substantial excess sitting on the bottom. Then dose the clear settled liquid all at once since it won't have any big impact on pH up or down.

BUT, you need to be careful how much of these two you mix. You need to have an excess of one or the other, making it highly basic or acidic. If you approximately neutralize the solution, bacteria will happily grow in it.

tcup25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to use a calcium reactor as well as kalk reactor. Does it matter which one I incorporate first?

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk because as i started using it i didnt need to measure calcium very much.And every time my alk was ok the cal was ok too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk because as i started using it i didnt need to measure calcium very much.And every time my alk was ok the cal was ok too.

That's the beauty of a balanced calcium and alk addition system. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to use a calcium reactor as well as kalk reactor. Does it matter which one I incorporate first?

Although they're highly complementary, it doesn't matter too much from a chemistry standpoint.

I'd implement the kalk reactor first because it's simpler (and therefor better). One other reason to go that route first is that along the way I/you might find out that I can do without a CO2 reactor at all. ;) Especially when you use the trick of dosing your kalk pre-disolved in some vinegar that Randy mentioned.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back