Started my tank 11.7.15 and it's 11.29.15 how's dose my tank look

Instasize_1129143136.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have an ammonia and nitrite spike before these parameters?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a ghost feeding then. Add a pinch of food. In 24 hours measure again. If no change, add another pinch and measure in another 24 hours. Still no change, do it once more.

If after three ghost feelings you get no spikes then you are cycled.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ right.... Your wanting to make sure your tank to digest the ammonia into nitrate quickly enough to handle a fish or two. Test it by adding an ammonia source, like fish food, and test your water. If you dont have any spikes then you should be ok.

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a ghost feeding then. Add a pinch of food. In 24 hours measure again. If no change, add another pinch and measure in another 24 hours. Still no change, do it once more.

If after three ghost feelings you get no spikes then you are cycled.

I feed my fish ones a day

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. Cycling with fish is no longer the recommended approach. It causes a lot of stress on the fish needlessly. That said, you are probably cycled then.

How big is this tank? 10 damsels will likely be 2 in not too long.

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. Cycling with fish is no longer the recommended approach. It causes a lot of stress on the fish needlessly. That said, you are probably cycled then.

How big is this tank? 10 damsels will likely be 2 in not too long.
100 Gallon

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 3 or 4 then. Did your local store tell you to do that? Damsels don't generally get along well in groups long term. They will fight each other and other fish.

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 3 or 4 then. Did your local store tell you to do that? Damsels don't generally get along well in groups long term. They will fight each other and other fish.
I had 10 and 2 days after I put them in 2 were dead. BUT. The 2 that die were from the same family. I got 5 different kind of damsels and 2 from the same kind die. The fish store sale to get 10 to help my tank . . . And I have 25 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds of Dead rock

20151124_140540.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never go back to that store. Awful advice. If those damsels dont all kill each other, they will probably be little brats to any new fish you add. Good luck getting them out. :(

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reef2reef.com/threads/new-ta...rimp-live-rock-no-shrimp.214618/#post-2493698

total cycle info for your tank, group A rocks.

The ideal mode for your tank is to simply give the fish back and keep everything else, and recycle it to known digestion levels, easy easy fix here. the current setup has began the cycle but no fish are required to really drive the system fast...two weeks if you want to use bottle bac repeatedly and cleaning ammonia and a non api test kit, fully able to do fish in two weeks if you push the cycle hard. Then at that point still no fish, work up based on research / behavior w them etc. just getting that ability is the goal, but you wouldn't need it...a strong filtration reserve is the goal.

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never go back to that store. Awful advice. If those damsels dont all kill each other, they will probably be little brats to any new fish you add. Good luck getting them out. :(
Yes so I have read about the damsel being hard to get out now. I was thinking throwing in a lion Fish to maybe eat them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the link provided, can your system digest 3-4 ppm in 24 hrs? the lionfish is one of the heaviest bioloads along with eels. Im under the impression tank isn't through cycling yet?

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the link provided, can your system digest 3-4 ppm in 24 hrs? the lionfish is one of the heaviest bioloads along with eels. Im under the impression tank isn't through cycling yet?
I don't have the lion fish now in my tank. I was saying maybe that fish could help to eat the damsels

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes so I have read about the damsel being hard to get out now. I was thinking throwing in a lion Fish to maybe eat them.

Don't do that until your tank is a little more stable. Also, only do that (later) if your wanting to keep that lion fish and only do aggressive fish. Still no guarantee that the lion will eat them. You really just want the lion to eat frozen foods that you pick, otherwise it may stop eating once it's out of damsels to eat.

OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do that until your tank is a little more stable. Also, only do that (later) if your wanting to keep that lion fish and only do aggressive fish. Still no guarantee that the lion will eat them. You really just want the lion to eat frozen foods that you pick, otherwise it may stop eating once it's out of damsels to eat.
I don't plan on keeping the lion just to get rid of the damsels . Then the lion can go as well

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on keeping the lion just to get rid of the damsels . Then the lion can go as well

Why do that? Just to avoid getting a net in the tank? Just drain the water during a water change pretty low. Get your net in there and catch them out. There's no reason to stress a lion, possibly get him off of frozen foods, and then stress him again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back