OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Had some pretty heavy rain and wind here and there but that's all so far. Though it isn't really the worst part of the day or storm yet. That should come around 3-6pm for my area. On the bright side wind shear from the front has kept it from strengthening further. Between where I live and the coast (which is about a 20 minute drive) there is a forest. This forest should cut down a lot of the wind for us. I'm feeling pretty good about it as it seems more like a series of our average severe thunderstorms that we tend to get this time of year :D

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... and while this is going on outside I am staining and polyurethaned the table and tank supply cabinet tops :) Still need to sand and this coat, add one more coat, sand then a finish glaze.
a76c98bbec1429de6a8fb4b2ca7f2207.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a ripple in the tabletop wood that no matter how much I sanded it- it never came out. Eh it's ok though since this is a colonial/country style interior design in the house anyway. This table top is not the original. The original (which we stored "just in case") opens to seating for 8 and closed seats 6. We downsized it for more room lol.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it isn't working very well. The phosphate rx does loosen it but I can't either reach most or get my hands or fingers to grab ahold of it in between the corals without breaking them :( I tried tongs and tweezers as well. Very bummed... also because I lost my orange shoulder today :( He was a special gift from my daughter which makes his loss that much harder.

So, next step.... (I really don't like doing so many things in such a short period - ugh not good at all to do.) I am going to low dose vodka. Low dosing is very slow and at 1/2 the recommendation for start up. I have done this before, I just don't like it. The otger thing is that I am going to take a toothbrush to some of the worst locations and pray it all goes to the filter bag. And then blow every rock out and do another water change. I found in the past that hydrogen peroxide is the very best way to kill hair algae followed by up to 6 months of vodka dosing. This is how I got rid of it before and it never came back in my 125. However I have too many corals to have that luxury this time..... last, I'll be ordering a ton of astraea snails tomorrow

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Table looks great!

What type of algae are you trying to get rid of?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

So as we all know tank sitters are generally not very knowledgeable even if they are your own kids who have been around it for some time. So I expected "something" to happen while on my mini vacation in Texas. The alk spiked to 12.4 from 9.3 and sadly some of the corals show signs of stress. The purple and green monti caps, one favia, Tyree tri color and the candle-lite concert acro were the most stressed. Did a water change and let it drop from there on it's own then adjusted the doser. This was initially my fault because I had set up the doser with little testing time before leaving and took a gamble on it because I couldn't trust her timing and dosing it manually. I lost! But I guess it could've been worse and I am thankful it wasn't. The alk is now stable and I guess we will just wait and see if they bounce back.

My other issue is the HA. I amp'ed up the cuc and removed all the HA I could reach and/or grab hold of. It doesn't look any better or worse :( On a good not the harlequin is doing a terrific job with the asternia starfish :D

A new critter has also been discovered in the tank. Not too sure if it's good or bad and put an id request thread in the Inverts forum. Any ideas?
20160722_135438.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far everyone says this is a limpet. Though it has a dome shape shell opposed to a pointed shell. This is the only one I have seen so far and I think it had to have hitch-hiked in with my last batch of new snails.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a new lfs this weekend and picked up a rather large sea hare that I can return if I want to. Going to see how it does with the HA. I also picked up a $5 rescue acro and another unnamed acro for $20 as well as a melarenus wrasse. Of course the wrasse is the only one I couldn't get a pic of lol.
The rescue acro:
b5b983dcb83704a880ca376f56b5a77f.jpg

Unnamed acro:
5e70aff9c6562089ffbcbf2086e88ba1.jpg

Sea hare:
35ce227e199959f3c82dd3460c4f1353.jpg

If anyone knows the names of the acros please share, thanks :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the tank issue!!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously need to find something for my clowns to host rather than the candy canes they chose... they barely open enough to feed now. No carpets and I am paranoid of BTAs since my last one was chopped up by a power head. Any ideas?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about a neon toadstool leather?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously need to find something for my clowns to host rather than the candy canes they chose... they barely open enough to feed now. No carpets and I am paranoid of BTAs since my last one was chopped up by a power head. Any ideas?

Our Duncans don't seem to mind our ocellaris clowns.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back