Jackie and Glenns 180g Reef Build

Denali08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie your tank is beautiful! Your corals have grown well and have wonderful coloring. I hate you are fighting with hair algae... your will beat it. Some day I hope my tank looks half as good as yours.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie your tank is beautiful! Your corals have grown well and have wonderful coloring. I hate you are fighting with hair algae... your will beat it. Some day I hope my tank looks half as good as yours.
Thank you so much for your kind words [emoji2] We all have setbacks from time to time no matter how long we've been doing reefing and are ALWAYS learning. You just have to really love it and when bad things happen - take a deep breath, don't panic, seek help and keep a never give up attitude.

R2R is the best community to learn from and share your own experiences :)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is sucking down an additional 155ml per day of ca and 71ml per day of alk. I will bring it up and adjust the doser tonight. Still working on getting my tree up.... ugh

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made my 2nd dose of Vibrant. It is hard to see in my tank atm because I put a diamond sand sifting goby in the tank on Saturday. It is just a huge white dust cloud! However I've been seeing and netting loose ha floating around the tank. It has stopped growing and very weak rooted. Wish my alligator forceps would hurry and get here! I'll get some pics as the sand could subsides.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do so many people get SO MANY acros packed close together with no issues? That certainly is NOT me... the Blueberry fields tort (yes, that one that I couldn't get to grow a year or 2 ago) wants to take over! I just cut it way down since it was growing into 5 other acros and they were not happy. I know the issue will return but for now they get some relief why I try to come up with a plan.
20170102_151327.jpg

I also have a purple slimer (that I actually mistook it for a different coral when I anchored it down) is growing wide and not upward... had to frag off the wide branches since it was bothering very nearby acros... all going on in the Blueberry fields neighborhood.
20170102_151600.jpg

In a sense I feel like I need to do some major rearranging but need to wait until the 45g is cycled and stable.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look a lot better in the second video. How long are you running the micro bubbles? Over night?
Yes overnight for 6-7 hours. The process is slower than chemiclean but safe and I keep normal light schedules. If you want to take care of it faster I would suggest blowing off the rocks (which should be done anyway) daily and using a filter bag that you change daily. I've also noticed that my LPS corals are loving the extra 02.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran my tests as I haven't done so since I started vibrant and babysitting my newest granddaughter 5 days a week. My ph probe was cracked and just bought a replacement. Ph is pretty low (although the the weather got cold here and the house is closed it's still too low) so that prompted the testing.

Temp 77.6
Ph 8.18 (for the high)
Sg 1.026
CA 420
MG 1300
ALK 7.3 (here is the culprit!)
P04 0 (low range hanna)
No3 0

In my house I need alk to average 8.6-9.3 to keep a decent ph if the doors are closed. I also ran out of soda lime for the co2 scrubber which finally (it's been on back order for weeks) got delivered today and replaced tonight.

Tomorrow I'll be doing another video on the microbubble/cyano progress. Every 2 days is enough I think. Also, I haven't had time for pulling ha and just did vibrant dose 5 today so we'll see how that's going as well.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note on Vibrant dosing... I haven't been seeing real results on HA death like many others have. What I mean is that, it is in fact clearing the water and glass film to pristine condition, but I have A LOT of HA. The more you have the longer it appears to take to die off. It lightens it and loosens it but you MUST manually remove all you can without letting any loose in your water column. The more you remove yourself the sooner results begin to be noticed. Also, one side effect is cyanobacteria due to die-off of HA in many cases. Although I think some of my cyano outbreak is partially due to my sand bed not getting much if any sifting in months since I removed the sand sifting starfish. After the first week of adding Vibrant and nopox I also added a diamond sand sifting goby who in turn stirred up the sand bed. So I believe my cyano was caused by a combination of both. The cyanobacteria covered most of my rock seemingly overnight! I freaked out but stayed the path I was on except to add microbubbling to my treatment of all things nasty in my system. I do this overnight and have had some pretty decent results without adding additional chemicals. (Vibrant is bacterial not chemical but nopox is chemical.) I will be adding today's results video around 5pm as I'd like to keep the time of day consistent as we all know cyano loves light ;)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion and tuxedo. Just make sure all corals are well anchored or they'll be traveling with the urchins ;) Wait until your tank needs a cleanup crew and put only 1 in at a time. I have the 2 and that is enough.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion and tuxedo. Just make sure all corals are well anchored or they'll be traveling with the urchins ;) Wait until your tank needs a cleanup crew and put only 1 in at a time. I have the 2 and that is enough.
Very cool! I just looked both of them up and they're stunning. On LiveAquaria it says the Pincushion may prey on some sessile inverts, but it also lists it as reef safe. Have you ever run into any issues?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back