Juan's IM Nuvo 30L Reef Aquarium Build

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

A couple years have now gone by since I brutally crashed and burned on my attempt to build the
60G Reef Savvy ZEOVit Korallenzucht Mini Riff , ever since then, I've found myself checking up on this forum sporadically and missing the days where reefing was always present on my daily activities (One of the very few I truly enjoy)... Fair to say, "Once a reef keeper, always a reef keeper".

After long self-psychological warfare I've decided to acquire an Innovative Marine NUVO 30L Micro reef tank, this
is going to be a "Baby Steps" kind of build since my spending budget will be a bit limited, but for those of you that enjoy build threads, stick with this one, I will make it happen this time around, that is my promise!!!.

Here is the manufacturer's promo:

Thanks for reading!!!.

Juan.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back Juan!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

Ordered the aquarium and stand from Bulk Reef Supply yesterday with a 3rd Day shipping... The order details still show processing, so right now I'm hoping they are able to ship out before they leave for the MACNA show this weekend.

Made a final decision for the location of the tank, the wall has the exact same width of the aquarium and is visible from all seats in the formal living room:

0002.jpg

I had previously contracted an electrician to install an independent panel box for my big tank, so I re-routed the 15 amp breaker for that specif single outlet and made it into into a double 15 amp by stealing the connector in the opposite side of the wall which runs in a separate breaker assigned to the dinning room)... It may be a bit of an overkill, but I will have 1800 watts per outlet and should be more than enough to run this size tank... I'm not much of a handyman and struggled a little to match the wall color, but I think is a decent job

0004.jpg

Thanks for reading, Moving along...

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counting the hours... And they seem eternal!!!.

The aquarium and stand should be here tomorrow (Monday), also ordered a few accessory upgrades that should arrive on Tuesday; Dry Rock scheduled for Wednesday and Skimmer & RO-DI system for Thursday... I can barely sit still :rolleyes:

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counting the hours... And they seem eternal!!!.

The aquarium and stand should be here tomorrow (Monday), also ordered a few accessory upgrades that should arrive on Tuesday; Dry Rock scheduled for Wednesday and Skimmer & RO-DI system for Thursday... I can barely sit still :rolleyes:

Lol I feel you… I am waiting for my new tank to arrive on Wednesday and it feels like an eternity!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I feel you… I am waiting for my new tank to arrive on Wednesday and it feels like an eternity!

I'd say it gets worse, is hard to avoid imagining the poor thing stranded in the back of some dark truck all weekend long... And all the "what IF's" bouncing in my mind :p

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally... This thread has just become official!!!.

One of the advantages of being friends with your UPS guy is having the ability to text him the lock code into the backyard when you are not there...

0005.jpg

I have to admit I was a little concerned with all the bruises, rips and tears in the packing boxes, so I just dove right into them to make sure everything was okay... Once I got to the retail box, everything looked much better...

0006.jpg

Did not take the aquarium out of the box, but all looks good inside...

0007.jpg

0010.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

Extremely happy with it at first glance, I'll probably write a complete review about it once is ready to be mounted in its stand... Which I should have some "fun" putting together...

0011.jpg

We are rolling!!!....

:)

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to take a step back today' Not only I got "Schooled" but also nearly smacked by my electrician for my Poorly performed DIY electrical outlet...

So he went back in there and re-did the connection from scratch (Put back the connection to the jack from the dinning room, upgraded the breaker to a 20amp and made the double jack into a slave).

Words to the wise: "Do not try to save pennies on this kind of stuff", it can be a huge difference in the short run.

Moving along...

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower back is not very happy... But I am!!!

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

I was a bit skeptical about using the stock stand, but after the assembly, I'd have to say that I'm very pleased with how solid it is... Installation is pretty straight forward and aside from missing a couple wooden dowels in the bag, it was put together fairly easy. Not very savvy adjusting the doors, but hey, they open and they close

Moving along... :)

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower back is not very happy... But I am!!!

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

I was a bit skeptical about using the stock stand, but after the assembly, I'd have to say that I'm very pleased with how solid it is... Installation is pretty straight forward and aside from missing a couple wooden dowels in the bag, it was put together fairly easy. Not very savvy adjusting the doors, but hey, they open and they close

Moving along... :)

Looking good...lift with your legs not with your back. [emoji51]

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few upgrades for the tank... IM Aqua-Gadget Spin Stream nozzles, IM Aqua-Gadget Filter Basket (Need to order another), IM Fish-Guard (Not sure why they offer this, if is not needed for the NUVO), and Vertex Dual magnet cleaner

0019.jpg

IM Aqua-Gadget SkimMate Ghost Skimmer... Ordered the mid-size for maximum protein evac

0022_1.jpg

Installed the Spin Stream nozzles

0020_1.jpg

Installed the Protein Skimmer (Test install)..

0023.jpg

Installed the Stock pump... IM assigned a 475 gph pump, which is a bit low for my preference, chances are it will be replaced for a new one in the range of 750 gph; Is very possible that they may have specific reasons for going with a lower flow pump (This aquarium is very shallow @13" and narrow @ 11" from the front overflow wall to the front glass)...

0024.jpg

I did receive the Walt Smith Nano Rock 2.1 yesterday, but one of the boxes was half way short in weight, gladly I acted quick and BRF is sending the missing weight, but will have to wait until next Wednesday for the extra shipment:

0021.jpg

Last but not least... I also received the RO/DI system, I'm hoping to be able to get up and running over the weekend

0022.jpg

I'd like to say something here... I'm loving being back to reefing!!!

:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back