Just set up my tank any suggestions

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up my tank any suggestions?

13700143_10101548890922348_537887105665189043_n.jpg

13729150_10101548890962268_3431805388468561765_n.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters that looks good but you need to let the tank cycle. ( nitrogen cycle) if you use live sand and rock add a piece of frozen shrimp , very little) and let it " clean up"
It will take anywhere from three weeks to 10 weeks)
This is a patient hobby you need lots of it, the tank looks good but really need to let it do its cycles. You can add fish ( clowns or damsels) in about a month but corals probably six months later let your rock and sand mature when you see diatoms ( brown spots all over the sand for example) and the disappear you are close to a fully cycled tank do a search on starting a salt water aquarium here in the forums

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you should be ready in no time . It took mine about 3 weeks I think . Just test your water and look for your algae bloom for indications like @Bob Escher mentioned .

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add cheato after the diatoms and if or when you get algae. Inwould stay away fro rock rubble but use live sand and chunks of live rock in your refugium

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I was thinking rock and chato for a safehaven for copepods. is that a bad idea.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you recommend adding a cleanup crew ( snails/craps) to the tank? I'm starting to see some algae growth. The tank has been set up for about a week now.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm as you will find all tanks are different and all suggestions may also be different. Take my tanks for example I used live rock and live sand for about a month adding frozen shrimp and food to aid in cycling. Nothing worked
no diatoms, no algae no nothing, so then i went with Red Sea mature pro kit which has everything used to cycle a system. After two months I did not get any algae got some diatoms but it wasnt until 4 months later that I started to get algae. During that time I tried a CUC snail died right away within two days. Crabs (after 8 months ) now last about two months and IU still have algae issues

So to sum it up wait until you get diatoms and signs of algae then add your CUC. You can add fish before this I would recommend something hardy like Clowns or Damsels ( make sure you can return fish to your LFS as damsels can get to be a headache. Beautiful fish but)

But thats my two cents other opinions may very. But its your judgement read all answers and add them up to see whats the most thanks

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 2 weeks in.
I have added a screen cover, auto top-off, and Fan to the tank. I was having issues with the tempiture climbing a little to high in the day from the lights. I had to get 2 pumps for the auto top- off because one could not fill it fast enough and the alarm would go off.

My cheapo protein skimmer broke and I have it rigged up and sort of working trying to decide if I wait or spend $200 on a new one.

Livestock added:
5 hermit crabs
12 ghost shrimp
Chato to sump
1 bad copepods.

I have been lightly phantom feeding and add some phytoplankton for the copepods.
Over all I think its going pretty well. My ammonia was at a 1 last weekend.
KIMG0940.JPG
KIMG0941.JPG

Next:
This weekend I am adding 2 clownfish.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think two weeks is a little early to add fish. No matter how hardy they are. And no matter if you think your cycled or not. There are two cycles you have the nitrogen cycles which can take as less as two weeks but then you have your maturity ( what I call it) which can take up to 8 months. I'm learning the hard way. Listening to people and taking the opinion of people that say it takes a least amount of time. It does take time, every tank is different and every tank will cycle differently even if you have two tanks side by side.
The number one killer in this hobby is us and that's because we don't have the patience.
Be patient when you have the diatoms and hair algae showing up and then gone then think about the fish.
And as I said some one else may have a different opinion

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just test your water, if you don't have any test kits, then you need it. Any ammonia present is too much for fish (IMO), so you need to make sure you have enough of a bio filter to process the ammonia that the fish's waste and gills produce.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If setting up a new tank I personally add fish like damsel or clowns after two weeks to cycle. I do frequent small water changes every few days to keep the ammonia and nitrates down. They have never had any issue for me this way. You just need to select the right fish. I still have my original fish from when i cycled my first tank from years ago and they still spawn.

SaltwaterTeabag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Titan definitely test your water I personally have used the API kits but have switched to the Red Sea kits which I feel are more accurate.
This. On my startups I always test daily for ammonia and I like to use both API and RedSea, and make sure the test kit is not out of date. Don't feel the need to rush, wait for the cycle to finish before adding fish is in my opinion the best way to start. You are looking good so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back