Kessel ap700 thoughts. Ima pull the trigger if so

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been wanting a 4 T5 with supplemental led between the two lights the led was Doin 360blue but with this new ap700 I'm totally transfixed on anything that could b better at the same price and design. All the tanks I've seen with just 360 Kessels I was loving so this is my question. With the control and all in 1 tunability I'd like 2 know any1s opinion on it. If uve seen one or own 1 please teach me the benefits and problems uve experienced. Also is it needed 2 b hung as my ceiling is vaulted so I'd have 2 make a bracket vs chains. Thanks all and if some1 has posted this I missed it as I searched. Thanks again. Much love

IMG_0295.PNG

aquanerd57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one but have been researching them myself. There is a in depth breakdown of the ap700 on YouTube sponsored by Kessel. It is incredible. The factory is in California. So that's a plus also for any replacement parts needed. The LED lights are made there and shaped like a fish eye which distributes more in the tank and not just directly underneath the fixture which can be a problem in some Other brands. Many config choices for color,lighting and par values that can be controlled via wifi phone ap for Android,iPad and one coming for iPhone . Looks very nice.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AP700 and I couldn't be happier with them. I have two over my 180, the spread is great, I need not exceed 70% at peak to provide ~200 PAR at my 1" sand bed, no hot spots what so ever, WIFI control is super convenient. The best thing about these Kessil lights is the Kessil Logic, no matter the color spectrum you choose Kessil has ensured that it will grow healthy corals. I easy made a program that transitions from a more blue color at dusk and dawn to more white at midday. Simply the best LED fixture there is right.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its in your budget do it. Its a really a neat light. The only consideration is livestock preferences and depth of tank/height of mounts. On a deeper tank Id go with several 360's instead.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are hung from a 10' ceiling and the Kessil cables have a long more length to them so could be used on much higher ceilings also. I love the sleek design of them. They can easily reach depths up to 30" maybe more depending on how mounted.
IMG_2707.JPG

I have had them 10 months and 3 months on this system as it currently sits. I have great growth and color on my SPS, LPS and Zoas with only the AP700s.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, look for it used first. Check flea bay!!!!!
I want a kessel warrantee. If it has 1 my buddy has a life time warranted and was selln it for 160 and if anything would go wrong he'd send it in. I'm angry I passed it up. But ohhh well. Was full led. And his wasn't a kessel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which have you seen in person?
That are the same were made or built. With like 6 T5s and 3 360 kessels so that's what made me want hybrid. Also I love t5 and wanna try led more.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its in your budget do it. Its a really a neat light. The only consideration is livestock preferences and depth of tank/height of mounts. On a deeper tank Id go with several 360's instead.
Not deep. It's a 75 48 inch and 21 tall so it's perfect. I'm like 60% sps and growing and acans favs acans chalices and euphyllia.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are hung from a 10' ceiling and the Kessil cables have a long more length to them so could be used on much higher ceilings also. I love the sleek design of them. They can easily reach depths up to 30" maybe more depending on how mounted.
IMG_2707.JPG

I have had them 10 months and 3 months on this system as it currently sits. I have great growth and color on my SPS, LPS and Zoas with only the AP700s.
What size tank is that. As ur using 2

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanna thank every1 for there input. It has basically confirmed this is my next light in a few months. Have a deep blue and I'm over having 2 turn it on daily. As the moon leds stay on always and if I use a timer they go off as well so kills me.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember they're deceptively strong and can burn the snot out of coral. So when you begin setting up,and tuning intensity, come give us a shout so we can help. J

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember they're deceptively strong and can burn the snot out of coral. So when you begin setting up,and tuning intensity, come give us a shout so we can help. J

+1

To the OP:
Get a light meter ordered while you're thinking about this lighting change. A PAR meter is nice, but a lux meter is very inexpensive an works just fine too. Don't go without a light meter.

You'd really like intensity to match between the old and new lights as closely as possible to prevent possible bleaching and mortality.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That are the same were made or built. With like 6 T5s and 3 360 kessels so that's what made me want hybrid. Also I love t5 and wanna try led more.

I certainly don't think the AP700 will disappoint. The good folks at Kessil don't publish squat for data about their light, but it does work. :)

But if Kessil and T5's are all you've looked at I'd suggest spending at least some of the time before you purchase looking around at tanks that use different types of lights.

In particular, tanks that use strip LED's. These are going to put out light that looks much closer to T5 lighting.

Folks are very attracted to the buzz surrounding spotlights to the point that spotlights are almost the only kind of LED lighting you read about if you don't go out of your way. But it seems like a good number of those who get spotlights don't actually like the light/shadows generated. That's one of the main sources of folks setting up "hybrid" systems...and it doesn't make a lot of design sense. That seems more like retail therapy to me. ;)

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak more highly of my AP700s. I am a professional lighting designer and have been using LED tech for years.

I think I've finally got my water parameters down and I'm finally done acclimating. Been running these at 88% during full bright hours and my acropora are loving life.

Coloration is amazing. I'm also using an Apex Par meter and the spread is consistent with what BRS found.

I have difficult acropora thriving such as strawberry shortcake, Hawkin's echinata and several torts... my pink bird nest is BRIGHT pink. The sand has a good collection of thriving acans, scolys and other LPS. My maxima clam is wide open and super happy all day.

I see no need to supplement with T5. That's for other LEDs. Shimmer is mesmerizing. Build quality is top notch. Customer support also top notch.

Buy them, you will love them. Only issue at the moment is no Apex integration but they promise it's coming.

This is my Red Sea 525XL (60" wide" about eight months old.

IMG_1455.JPG

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

To the OP:
Get a light meter ordered while you're thinking about this lighting change. A PAR meter is nice, but a lux meter is very inexpensive an works just fine too. Don't go without a light meter.

You'd really like intensity to match between the old and new lights as closely as possible to prevent possible bleaching and mortality.

They are VERY strong and your corals will need a couple months to acclimate. Here is what I recommended.

Get a PAR meter and adjust the AP700 to 75% of lowest current lighting levels. Use the lowest because the Kessils have such great spread and power that while you might match PAR in the middle/center you could scorch everything on the sand or around the edges. Be careful, go slow. If in doubt, reduce intensity. If you don't have a meter this has been what I recommend for other AP700 users to get started:

Start at 35%, increase 5 each week until 50%. After 50% increase only 3% until about 70%. 70% is my max and after that you can not add any red or green. If you need to go higher (doubt it) then I highly suggest a PAR meter here or 2% increases every two weeks.

Spectrum doesn't matter so much, just choose colors you like for now in your schedule.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back