Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick are you able to purge?

I just finished reading the instructions, trying to help you before I create my own problems. I feel like I kind of understand how it works/what I need to do. So I will probably give them another read through, watch the coralvue video and then start. I probably already screwed up, I measured 1.5L of Di water for the reagent (according to coralvue's video) and mixed it in. According to the website I should have weighed it to 1500gms. I'm banking on the fact that I used a graduated cylinder in that it's accuracy is probably pretty spot on so hopefully I didn't already shoot myself in the foot. (I know 1ml of water is supposed to weigh 1 gm).

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video a couple of times and then stepped through the video, there are a couple of points not in the video so I think the manual is an important reference as well

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked mine up to my LAN and plugged it in and it gave me the IP addy and the port number, so far so good! I might be gone for a bit, I've got to run hoses and then probably read the manual another 2 times!

Yes I noticed that the video was missing some important points that the manual covers. The manual isn't exactly in the order I would have arranged things either, best to read the whole thing through!

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry fellas I overlooked your posts

I literally was debating on buying the kh guardian yesterday but I looked into the unpacking/how to use video and I believe it wasn't ideal for large aquariums unless used as supplemental dosing. Can't wait to see your overall experience with it.

I am dosing 3 part Tropic Marin Balling solution. I am not going to change anything as far as that is concerned. How I am going to use this is I am going to get my alkalinity stable or falling slightly at 7.4dKH using my regualar dosing methods I am then going to set the KHG to 7.6 dKH and let it fine tune the final adjustment. I will then track my Ca consumption weekly to determine if my 2 part dosing is falling behind, then all 3 parts will be adjusted using that. (That's the plan as it stands now, it may change, I am also open to suggestions from the "peanut gallery". :D

Rick, I'm looking forward to your reports. Thanks to guys like you and jonty, we get to find out how well this unit operates from the cheap comfort of our own homes. ;)

Loved the video, your tank is beautiful and those SPS look to be off to a great start. As an aside: Good lord that alot of powerhead in your tank!! 4 tunzes and 4 panta rheis! You've given me flow envy!

Seriously though, do you have a write up of the panta rhei anywhere? I've heard good things and now know that they look pretty good as well.

There's a reason why Panta Rhei makes pumps for public aquaria, they are the real deal. The ECM 42's are AMAZING. There's no comparison between them and any other pump on the market. They aren't a propeller pump, they are more like a ducted fan for RC aircraft. They don't use the same magnetic drive, brushless DC motors with titanium shafts and ceramic bearings. Two side by side like I have, create a full gyre in the tank (with all my rock) in about 10 seconds. The pumps create a huge positive displacement in the upper part of the aquarium and the lower half of the aquarium moves the other direction.

The tunze pumps don't do much. They mostly just provide bursts of turbulent flow, they alternate opposite the Panta Rhei pumps. (Two on one side pulse while the 2 Panta rhei on the opposite side of the tank run). It creates good random flow.

The fish seem to love the panta rhei pumps, you would think with the insane amount of water movement that they would struggle, the laminar flow of the ECM 42's (as advertised) seems to really let them travel easily through it.

It's definitely more flow than most tanks I have ever seen, But, everything right now, seems very very happy with the water movement. (I don't have any Euphyllias, but they might not like it in some places :eek:)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick,
How many gallons is the tank that you will be installing the KHG on?

It's a DSA 190. 60"x27.5"x27.5". Minus Rock/sand/inhabitants it is pretty close to 160 gallons system volume (600L). That's the number I use to calculate all my dosing etc.

Angel53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be less expensive and easier to maintain stable alk, cal and mag levels on your tank with a quality calcium reactor controlled by an Aquarium Plants Carbon doser regulator?
Is your tank a SPS or mixed reef?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I am trying to figure out how the KHG would be beneficial to my set up.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be less expensive and easier to maintain stable alk, cal and mag levels on your tank with a quality calcium reactor controlled by an Aquarium Plants Carbon doser regulator?
Is your tank a SPS or mixed reef?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I am trying to figure out how the KHG would be beneficial to my set up.

It depends on your ability! It is possible, though I think the advantage of the KHG is that should alkalinty consumption suddenly increase then it's testing at a minimum of every four hours, so it's able to compensate quicker than I personally would be able to. In an old well established, fully grown in system that not many changes occur in then it likely won't offer many advantages.

My ultimate goal with this tank and the KHG is to be able to walk away from my aquarium for an extended period and be able to let it run on "auto pilot" so to speak. Even though my life doesn't require this, it would be very nice to be able to do so if required of me.

The science geek in me wants it so I can play with different stable alkalinities and see what my corals like the most.

Angel53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do travel a lot so the following is important to me; "My ultimate goal with this tank and the KHG is to be able to walk away from my aquarium for an extended period and be able to let it run on "auto pilot" so to speak. Even though my life doesn't require this, it would be very nice to be able to do so if required of me."
How many gallons is the alk reservoir of the KHG? In addition adding alk and not monitoring and adjusting calcium and mag can be troublesome.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will have to test Ca and Mg (as I do now) but, I won't have to test them everyday. The goal is not for my KHG to be supplying alot of alkalinity. I want my balling dosing adjusted so the KHG is just adding a touch here and there. As time goes on and corals grow, I will have to manually adjust the bulk of my dosing, just as I have in the past. The difference is, if I can get the KHG doing the fine tuning, I can let it go for awhile without me needing to interfere. (Obvisouly I am NOT going to set this up, and then go on vacation right away! That would be a big mistake). We are going to try and start slow and increase the interval between me checking on it (as my paranoia subsides :D).

I had to run to the store and get Baking Soda.:rolleyes: I'm not the most prepared person for this. (Hey I am still considering that my LAN cable works a major hurdle! :D)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm off to my parent's house for dinner and the super bowl. When I return I will continue working on getting this thing going.

I've noticed that the pdf manual misses both the 65g of sodium bicarbonate to mix with the 1000ml of DI and the fact that with that solution it takes 4.7ml to change 100L by 0.1 dKH. Which is vital information for computing the maximum amount you will allow the unit to dose at one time. (For anyone who needs this info it is from the video posted)

Angel53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity swings in a SPS dominated tank can be horrific.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it will be interesting to see how these pan out. Personally I think it is a bit of a downer that it doesn't have the ability to control a calcium reactor. For the price point and market, I would expect this to be aimed at high end SPS tanks. Having to run a cal reactor or a dosing system AND this is bit of a pain.

That being said, if it does indeed do what it says it will - it will be a revolution to the hobby. That and I am certain there will be some further developments like the addition of outputs for passive dosing pumps or controlling C02 solenoids.

Mine took a long time purge (read 15 min)but it did eventualy I have a 2 ft hose from the reagent to the unit and the reagent is at the same level as the unit.

Thank you sir! That is what I was needing to hear. I think I was giving up after 2-3mins after not seeing any movement. I'll let it run for a solid 15mins tonight (Y)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it will be interesting to see how these pan out. Personally I think it is a bit of a downer that it doesn't have the ability to control a calcium reactor. For the price point and market, I would expect this to be aimed at high end SPS tanks. Having to run a cal reactor or a dosing system AND this is bit of a pain.

That being said, if it does indeed do what it says it will - it will be a revolution to the hobby. That and I am certain there will be some further developments like the addition of outputs for passive dosing pumps or controlling C02 solenoids.

Thank you sir! That is what I was needing to hear. I think I was giving up after 2-3mins after not seeing any movement. I'll let it run for a solid 15mins tonight (Y)

Supposedly they are planning expansion modules to add other testing/dosing. (I will believe it when I see it)

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly they are planning expansion modules to add other testing/dosing. (I will believe it when I see it)
Looking at the hardware I don't think it would be difficult at all. Well, the testing side of things would be complex - but it would be super easy to add a couple of outputs to run other dosing pumps. You could set the ratio of alk to cal/mag and just measure alk to dose. But hey, if they want to add cal testers to full automate it, I wouldn't complain!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to progress on here. Nice to see innovation in our domain :) There appear to be at least three of these in various stages so I'm hoping competition will knock the price of these into a more reasonable territory.

I also need to pick some vessels for the reagent, the bicarbonate solution, and a waste container.
$1000 and they don't include the storage containers!?

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah and as mentioned above, not really any neat ways to mount or stand the unit either. Plus the "chamber" that holds the tank water and reagent falls off waaaaaaaaay too easily

oh and $1000? $1269USD!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back