Know your flow! The FMK is officially out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

in2aqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence I noticed in the description it states that the flow sensor uses British Standard Parallel Pipe (BSPP) threads and you include a specially designed adapter with a slip fitting. What do we need to know to source other types of fittings that can fit into your union... for example I might want to use female thread instead of slip (without a slip to thread adapter that adds more length....)

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence , you mentioned your sump is "under your house", I assume you mean basement. ;). Mine is also. It seems to me, that placing the sensor on the drain line by the sump would be the best place to install to get true g/h that reaches the tank. My Apex is also in the basement to control gear in/near the sump. Installing on the return line wouldn't show true g/h reaching the tank since vertical and horizontal head pressure may not be impacting the flow rate so,close to the sump. This could be wrong however, and wanted to get your thoughts.

Great job as always bringing us new and exciting gear!

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence , you mentioned your sump is "under your house", I assume you mean basement. ;). Mine is also. It seems to me, that placing the sensor on the drain line by the sump would be the best place to install to get true g/h that reaches the tank. My Apex is also in the basement to control gear in/near the sump. Installing on the return line wouldn't show true g/h reaching the tank since vertical and horizontal head pressure may not be impacting the flow rate so,close to the sump. This could be wrong however, and wanted to get your thoughts.

Great job as always bringing us new and exciting gear!

Flow is the same everywhere- pressure changes

Victoriajoybrewer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dc port is interesting to see getting sprinkled throughout various Neptune devices. It almost begs for a breakout box 2.0 that has just has a bunch of those dc ports or possibly a combination of those ports and the 6 pin ports used by the ddr.

A breakout box with a plug type connection rater than screws and raw wires would be cool.

Andreass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this product to norway or Europa ASAP so i can get one to my tank!

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you simply use a 1"->3/4" reducing bushing and all is good.
This will cause a false reading though. I know I only learned this as far as blood flow in vessels, but same physics

pr4.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not reducing the flow rate or the diameter. The pipe itself is already 3/4", you are only adapting it to the 1" sensor and are actually going up in diameter - not down - and only through the sensor as the pipe is still 3/4" on the other side.

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will cause a false reading though. I know I only learned this as far as blood flow in vessels, but same physics

pr4.gif

I don't think it will really cause a "false reading;" it will for sure change the flow that you have right now based on the pressure change over the sensor radius change, though. Flow is equal over all parts of your plumbing path anyway.

You'll plumb everything in and realize your flow wasn't what you thought it was. You'll either buy a new pump or not care and monitor if your flow decreases off of baseline over time or if it acutely changes to protect against a pipe leak or something.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should have been clear my question was for Terence. Pre-ordered and paid for weeks ago. Just checking to see if they are shipping yet. Following up with the vendor.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been clear my question was for Terence. Pre-ordered and paid for weeks ago. Just checking to see if they are shipping yet. Following up with the vendor.
If you ordered early, you would have received one. We sold through far more than anticipated. That means some outlets are out of stock and will be for a few weeks. Others still may have stock on shelves until they too run out.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ordered early, you would have received one. We sold through far more than anticipated. That means some outlets are out of stock and will be for a few weeks. Others still may have stock on shelves until they too run out.
Seems like it is out of stock everywhere now - at least the FMM and FMK. Any idea when you will be shipping out to resellers?

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just use a reducer bushing on the 1" sensor. Btw not all red sea reefers use 3/4" lol Im using 1" and know many others that do, my 3/4" GHL flow sensor worked perfectly in my 1" plumbing with reducers :)

Reefer 525XL -2-20-2017
by Reefer525XL, on Flickr
you hush up over there with your GHL Mr fancy shmancy pants lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back