Live rock on sand or below?

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm setting up a new tank and I want to fix a lot or errors I made on my current take. My question is should I place my LR on top of my sand or should I set my Scape on the glass then pour my sand bed? I have a quite of bit of gobys and they love to dig under my rocks. Im worried that eventfully they might dig out a rock and it will fall or smash the fish. What are your guys thoughts on this?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Steve, rock then sand, or an alternative is to build a platform of acrylic rods, or just drill holes in the rock, cement the rods in place that can hold your rocks a little above the bottom, and that'll work well also. Did that to one of my tanks currently up and it works really well, esp. with the gobies, since they can dig a hole under the rock and it won't move. Shrimp like to hide in that 1/2" or so space between sand and rock. I didn't fill the sand all the way up to the bottom of the rock and used clear acrylic rods and it looks like floating rocks.
Or just rock then sand.o_O

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a platform. Problem is half my rock is coming out of my old tank going into the new one. I will try and work something up though.

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on where to get the acrylic rods to secure rock work?

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard of people using "eggcrate" lighting diffusers from home depot underneath the rocks and sand to protect the bottom glass. Any experience or opinions on this?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard of people using "eggcrate" lighting diffusers from home depot underneath the rocks and sand to protect the bottom glass. Any experience or opinions on this?

Eggcrate is really not required to protect the bottom glass due to it being tempered glass. However, eggcrate can be used to lift your rock off the bottom making the rock more useful in aquascaping.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without question, rock in first and then sand.

Any ideas on where to get the acrylic rods to secure rock work?

From you closet....I use plastic clothes hangers and they work great.

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the ideas guys. I think I'm going to put egg crate down to secure the bottom. Then secure the rocks with acrylic rods and then add all my sand. Just last night my blue spot jawfish did a number to the sand bed. He's currently on a major construction project. I don't want him killing himself or literally wrecking my tank! LOL

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this in mine. Unfortunately as I found out you can not have any burrowing wrasse unless the sand bed is deep. I had a 2 inch sand bed and bought a Yellow Coris Wrasse. Mins after letting him in the tank, under the sand he went. 3 days later he came out and I noticed his mouth was distorted, broke? From not being able to eat about a week later he died :(

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this in mine. Unfortunately as I found out you can not have any burrowing wrasse unless the sand bed is deep. I had a 2 inch sand bed and bought a Yellow Coris Wrasse. Mins after letting him in the tank, under the sand he went. 3 days later he came out and I noticed his mouth was distorted, broke? From not being able to eat about a week later he died :(

Sorry for your loss! I agree here. Dartfish, gobies, blennies, wrasse, and more could all potentialy get injured. I would make sure not to have any ribs hanging and also sand or deburr all edges. Even still, could cause injury. They wont see it as they are jetting into the sand or hole.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never though about that. I was planning on getting a yellow coris wrasse. Maybe not now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back