Live Rock Vs Dry? Whats Your Opinion

Fishman144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an opinion question. I am deciding on which rock should I get for my Saltwater tank. Im going to be starting a 20 gallon saltwater tank and all I am want is a beautiful tank. Im not going to be do any live corals right now just fish. I will be having live sand now I have to decide on which rock to get. Some say live rock because it helps with the filtration or something and its has good bacteria for the tank. My thing is thats fine with me but Live Rock is just so ugly to me and Dry rock is more prettier..I just want to go on the cheaper side. Whats some of your thoughts?

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to start a new system with plain dry substrate, and rock. I'm an advocate of DSB's, so I use a sugar size oolitic aragonite for substrate, and Tonga shelf dry rock as a base, along with Pukani dry rock on top. I then add an activator from IPSF, and allow it to cycle. Although I do nothing to the substrate, I do acid wash the rock before use.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock for my setup 3 years ago. I like the idea of starting new with no hitch-hikers, no contaminants, plus it's cheaper and there were more options for me. The downside is that you need to allow time for the bacteria to colonize in order to sustain the bio-load for biological filtration. It helps that there are a lot of products out there to help speed up the cycle with good bacteria to seed with.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What don't you like about the look of dry rock? I'm confused. All natural rock in a salt system will eventually get coralline - purple stuff - I think. New at this. Fresh live rock just gives you a big head start as far as bio filtration. But if price is important go dry - Pukani is lovely and BRS has decent prices. But as your tank cycles it will go thru ugly phase anyway .... Diatoms hair algae etc - rock won't stay white in a salt system - will it?
I have reef not fish only - we did a combo of both to start to help save money but will admit tank is ugly now (2 months in) as all the different rock is at a different stage cycle wise .. A hodgepodge mess but we don't care as we are patient and will cover with coral eventually

BRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no matter what your dry rock will eventually grow algae and turn greens, browns, yellows, and eventually with time purple.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like DRY because: Cheaper, No Unwanted Critters, Take Time And Aquascape

I like LIVE because: Nicer Looking To Start, Wanted Critters, Bacteria

OP
OP
F

Fishman144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Everyone I think Im going to just start off with dry rock!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what does everyone else use and why? CHIME IN!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock that u cure urself into live so u don't introduce unwanted pests in tank. Over my 2 yrs I've been fortunate and only bristle worms and pods. But I'll b using a low salinity dip on my current tank 2 drive out bristle worms and keep 1/2 but the bases will b dried and cycled as most bristles r in there seen a 2 inches and can't get it at all. So don't want them eatn everything and my cleanup crew causing problems

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used BRS reef-saver rock for my last two tanks. I like it because you're not removing something from the wild, there are no hitchhikers, it's relatively cheap to buy and to ship, and you have more time to play around with aquascaping options in your empty tank.

What don't I like about dry rock? The amount of time it takes a tank to mature. From my experience it takes like 9 months to a year to get a dry rock tank to a place where you can really grow SPS. D2Mini has tempted me to try aquacultured live rock next time. His tanks look great right away.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used BRS Reef-saver and Pukani. For someone new to saltwater I'd probably recommend the reef saver as it's cheaper and much easier to aquascape and cure. If you're willing to be patient though, I think Pukani is absolutely gorgeous. I personally hate live rock because I think its frequently overpriced and full of stuff I DONT want. There are awesome premium sources for live rock, but I'd rather spend my money on other equipment or fish and coral.

OP
OP
F

Fishman144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used BRS reef-saver rock for my last two tanks. I like it because you're not removing something from the wild, there are no hitchhikers, it's relatively cheap to buy and to ship, and you have more time to play around with aquascaping options in your empty tank.

What don't I like about dry rock? The amount of time it takes a tank to mature. From my experience it takes like 9 months to a year to get a dry rock tank to a place where you can really grow SPS. D2Mini has tempted me to try aquacultured live rock next time. His tanks look great right away.

But thats why some say if you use dry rock and add some pieces of live rock to speed up the process

OP
OP
F

Fishman144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used BRS Reef-saver and Pukani. For someone new to saltwater I'd probably recommend the reef saver as it's cheaper and much easier to aquascape and cure. If you're willing to be patient though, I think Pukani is absolutely gorgeous. I personally hate live rock because I think its frequently overpriced and full of stuff I DONT want. There are awesome premium sources for live rock, but I'd rather spend my money on other equipment or fish and coral.

But if you use "Dry Live Rock" dont you have to wait like weeks or months before you put it in for tank...Even if it is the first thing you are starting off with to cycle your tank?

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you use "Dry Live Rock" dont you have to wait like weeks or months before you put it in for tank...Even if it is the first thing you are starting off with to cycle your tank?
BRS reef saver is actually mined limestone. I just rinse it and drop it in.

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie to all of this so I can't speak about dry rock since I've only used live but I feel like if you spend hours staring at your tank like I do and know what to look for, spotting harmful hitchhikers isn't too difficult. It's also cool to notice good ones too!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back