saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4114.JPG
hello
2 nights ago I had to temporarily move my tank into my bedroom and take out all my livestock including my coral frags of small mixed corals, but mainly lps. My fish consist of 2 clowns, blue hippo,fox face,mallenarus wrasse, pj cardinal,kole tang and 6 chromis, they're all juvenile fish if not smaller.

My concerns are that my fish will have to be there for at least one week hopefully less, due to new flooring being done at my home. I did hook up 2 power heads and an HOB filter with all the works. I also hooked up 1 of my kessils and will run the normal cycle .i also added some of my live rock and my heater. My system usually has nitrates in the 20 ppm range, so I'm worried that they'll sky rocket while In the container. My other concern is that because my tank is 75 gallon with 18 gallon sump
not all my water would fit in the brute. So I have about 20 still in the aquarium with majority of my live rock and sand and the rest of my water in buckets.

Once I'm ready to put everything back to normal, how much of the water should I replace with new one? Will I experience a cycle if I do use some new water? Should I just keep as much of the old water as possible? I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that have dealt with a similar situation. I also need some good advice
Thank you!!

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is not what holds the nitryfing bacteria. It is in the rocks. Put as much of the liverock in the barrel as you can IF the rock is established.
Hello
I've had the rocks for about 10 months, since I started my system. I stared with all dry rock though.
So use all the water??

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as much live rock you can fit in it and the water. Keep testing and do water changes as needed should be fine.
Ok
I think I've added the max amount so that my fish can swim around and not kill each other
Lol!!
But I will make sure to salvage the water as well
Thanks!!!

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned, put as much liverock in there as possible. Maybe keep the water aerated in addition to the hang on filter? Maybe put some tank water in and some freshly mixed water in? It'd be like a water change.

Shouldn't be any issue with keep the livestock in a brute container.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old water is necessary only to not shock fish in a temp salinity or PH change. Water changes are your friend. Just try to match Temp and salinity and you will be fine. Don't worry about salvaging old water. If you can run a protein skimmer, I would. If not, add an air stone. Test ammonia and nitrates daily. Twice daily at first. Have Prime on hand in case you see ammonia. Keep salinity stable as well- top off to account for evaporation.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old water is necessary only to not shock fish in a temp salinity or PH change. Water changes are your friend. Just try to match Temp and salinity and you will be fine. Don't worry about salvaging old water. If you can run a protein skimmer, I would. If not, add an air stone. Test ammonia and nitrates daily. Twice daily at first. Have Prime on hand in case you see ammonia. Keep salinity stable as well- top off to account for evaporation.
Sounds good
Thank you!!!

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Just to follow up
I'm getting low reading of ammonia with API test kit
I did purchase prime over the weekend and have been dosing 1/2 a cap but it's still not going away
Can the fish survive until mon or Tuesday of next week?
They seem active and as normal
Coming up for food like they usually do
I have been doing 5 % water changes
Any advice??

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime binds the ammonia it does not make it disappear. It will still register on tests. Your fish should be okay.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back