Looking for next steps...

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my current situation and I'm looking for a next step:
Ph ranges 7.4 to 7.9 with CO2 scrubber and windows open.
DKH 5.0
NO3 0.025
NO2 5
Amm 0
PO4 0.08
Ca 497

I'm buying Mg test kit today. I know I need to bring up DKH. Right now I have 2 chromis and 5 clove polyps. Tank is 3 months old...

My plan is coming together and I'm taking it slow, but what do I need to do next? My plan is to do 25% WC of course today. Since I don't have any major coral livestock yet I'm not too concerned, but what should I be doing now to get things ready. I want a good habit first so I can adjust as I go. I'm adding two clowns to QT today so I can add them in 76 days. I need to raise alk but not sure why it's so far off, should I dose to bring it up and then do water change?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test ph?
Are you dosing a calcium?
Retest the alk if you haven't.
Id honestly do 3 5g changes in 7 days to get the cal alk in balance. Probably help the ph too.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not dosing anything. I have a ph probe on apex. I was using API and switched to red sea test kits for all. Those results are on Red Sea. I repeated the tests. Calcium is on Hanna checker.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant ocean. The ph has always been super low. I'll just did 10 gal change. Was going to do 20 gal but im afraid it would be too much at once. Will do 5 more tomorrow maybe?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a Milwuakee refractometer. I suspect you aren't mixing your salt at the correct gravity.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned that your showing no2 at this point. No2 at 5? Looks like your at the back end of your cycle, or you have had a mini cycle at some point.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned that your showing no2 at this point. No2 at 5? Looks like your at the back end of your cycle, or you have had a mini cycle at some point.
NO2 has no negative side effects. In fact that test can be thrown out. Ammonia would be more important if a reading was showing.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO2 has no negative side effects. In fact that test can be thrown out. Ammonia would be more important if a reading was showing.

Agreed about ammonia, But no2 high (5ppm?) can be a problem if its long term. Hence the thought that he's not out of his cycle yet.

What's your SG at? How are you testing salinity?

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of cycle when everything was zero, I added a large shrimp. I waited... the ammonia came up, then gone. Nitrites came up, then gone. Nitrates came up, then water changed. I then added my two chromis and the clove polyp. First test was done. Then most recent test showed the 5 nitrates

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to dose kalwasser and your alk and ph will come up. Alk need to be at least 7.0, I keep mine low to mid 8's. With reef crystals I ran a very high alk do to all the buffers in the salt mix. [emoji225]

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to dose kalwasser and your alk and ph will come up. Alk need to be at least 7.0, I keep mine low to mid 8's. With reef crystals I ran a very high alk do to all the buffers in the salt mix. [emoji225]
Heck ya! I didn't realize this was 90g. That would be a good option for that size tank. :)

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info is missing.

90gl tank, very low bioload, nothing to consume alk. yet alk is low and pH is too low, and Ca is maxed at 497?

What is the source water? RO/DI?
Which IO salt? Reef crystals?
How are you mixing the salt? How long do you mix it?
Do you aerate it?
Have you tested the mixed salt water for all of the parameters of concern before putting it in your tank?

Need a Mg measurement also.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info is missing.

90gl tank, very low bioload, nothing to consume alk. yet alk is low and pH is too low, and Ca is maxed at 497?

What is the source water? RO/DI?
Which IO salt? Reef crystals?
How are you mixing the salt? How long do you mix it?
Do you aerate it?
Have you tested the mixed salt water for all of the parameters of concern before putting it in your tank?

Need a Mg measurement also.

Pongo- you're right- I am going to get a Mg test kit today, it's the one I forgot. Ph is low all around, I have a 55 cichlid tank and the ph in it is also low. It runs at 7.4 with doors closed, 7.9 with doors open. CO2 scrubber included. I use Io salt, not reef crystals. Plan to change that with next box of salt. I have RODI spectrapure maxcap with DI 0 TDS verified with a separate TdS meter. I have my RO skimmer with lots of microbubbles. Two sicce voyager 2 on a wave surfer.

I mix the salt in a large brut with RODI for about a minute manually, then I use a uniclife 420 gph pump to keep it moving. I check back every few minutes to make sure all salt is mixed. I always let it work for an hour before adding.

I have not tested prior to putting mixed water into tank, I'll do that with WC tomorrow. Thanks for all your help so far! I want to make sure things are right before adding anything living. I do NOT want to hurt any living creature. Unless it's a spider. Sorry lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back