Looking for next steps...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info is missing.

90gl tank, very low bioload, nothing to consume alk. yet alk is low and pH is too low, and Ca is maxed at 497?

What is the source water? RO/DI?
Which IO salt? Reef crystals?
How are you mixing the salt? How long do you mix it?
Do you aerate it?
Have you tested the mixed salt water for all of the parameters of concern before putting it in your tank?

Need a Mg measurement also.

all that information is in the previous posts
but to answer some of your questions
and he is getting a Mg test kit,
Mixing really dose not make a difference. all that really matters if it is mixed with no buffers sitting on the bottom of the bucket.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old school method to bring up alk and PH is using a slow baked baking soda.

I have noticed that my PH is higher when I have the doors closed and the skimmer is sucking the outside air into my skimmer since I have a line run outside.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But should I bring up alk with a alk part of 2 part to make the numbers with calcium appropriate? Seems like kalkwasser would raise my calcium too.
The kalwasser will bring up the alk not the calcium. do not dose alk with Ca and Mg at the same time.

I was think ato if consumption were there. Or even just for ph stability

I kind of figured what you were thinking:rolleyes::D but wanted to confirm:) yeah I used to use the ATO for the kalwasser dose too.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a c02 scrubber and I just took it off my system. It did increase my ph, growth rate and fluctuated my alk consumption because of increased usage when the media was fresh.

I learned that running the skimmer air input line outside was just almost as good.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally boost the alk with the alk part of a two part, or just sodium bicarbonate or carbonate, not worry about the pH since I suspect it is not really that low, and not worry about any of the other parameters. :)

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally boost the alk with the alk part of a two part, or just sodium bicarbonate or carbonate, not worry about the pH since I suspect it is not really that low, and not worry about any of the other parameters. :)

Thanks Randy! I actually just went out and for the alk part and am going to dose very slowly. Since I don't have slot of consumption, I feel I can take it very, very slow.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a c02 scrubber and I just took it off my system. It did increase my ph, growth rate and fluctuated my alk consumption because of increased usage when the media was fresh.

I learned that running the skimmer air input line outside was just almost as good.

I wish I could get an outside line. Right now I'm using the scrubber and it bumps about 0.2.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon, by I only fill it to 5 gal in case of a hiccup.

Use a table spoons of kalwasser for the 5 gallons. Check your alk to see were it is at in about 2 days. It is good to raise your alk slowly. I would thing with the rise in alk you will see your ph go up too.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a table spoons of kalwasser for the 5 gallons. Check your alk to see were it is at in about 2 days. It is good to raise your alk slowly. I would thing with the rise in alk you will see your ph go up too.

But won't kalk raise my Ca too??

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, I had to dose Ca and Mg before I switch to the balling method. If you are using the two part, bump up the alk part. As far as Ca, running 430 to 450 is the norm in hobby systems

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it will. It is Calcium Hydroxide

By Randy Holmes-Farley

Limewater (kalkwasser)

Limewater (also known by the German term kalkwasser) has been used very successfully by aquarists for decades, and it is the system that I have used exclusively on my aquarium for 19 years. It is comprised of an aqueous solution of calcium and hydroxide ions that can be made by dissolving either quicklime (calcium oxide, CaO) or lime (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2) in fresh water.

The calcium ions in the solution obviously supply calcium to the tank, and the hydroxide ions supply alkalinity. Hydroxide (OH–) itself provides alkalinity (both by definition and as measured with an alkalinity test), but corals consume alkalinity as bicarbonate, not hydroxide. Fortunately, when limewater is used in a reef tank, it quickly combines with atmospheric and in- tank carbon dioxide (CO2) and bicarbonate (HCO3–) to form bicarbonate and carbonate (CO3—):

OH– + CO2 → HCO3–

OH– + HCO3– → CO3— + H2O

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back