LPS Expelling Zooxanthellae

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the various reasons that LPS could be expelling zooxanthellae?

My torch and frogspawn have been periodically doing this the last couple of weeks, but still seem healthy with normal polyp extension.

IMG_8328.jpg

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change your lighting recently..new bulbs or type of lighting? When I had T5 and did not know any better, I changes all bulbs at once and everything started expelling.. most did not recover and died about two weeks later..there are prob others reasons but I think this is something to be concerned about.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're under Ecoxotic Panorama RGB LEDs. They're both new to the tank though (been in there less than a month) so they could still be acclimating.

mcbridepcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where lighting can play a role, the reaction looks more like chemical warfare happen between different coral species, try moving the around.

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they came from lighting other than LEDs then they will have an acclimation period. If you have a lot of other softies then you will probably want to run carbon to get the chemicals out of the water. I run carbon in my tanks 365 days a year 24/7. I have three tanks all mixed reefs. I dose Brightwell Replenish to replace the good nutrients the carbon scrubs out. Just my two cents worth!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they came from lighting other than LEDs then they will have an acclimation period. If you have a lot of other softies then you will probably want to run carbon to get the chemicals out of the water. I run carbon in my tanks 365 days a year 24/7. I have three tanks all mixed reefs. I dose Brightwell Replenish to replace the good nutrients the carbon scrubs out. Just my two cents worth!

currently running carbon! - there is a GIANT oversized toadstool in the tank (and I'm now remembering that they can cause problems, even with letting other corals absorb calcium and such because softies secrete so many compounds). Time to frag him down!

image.jpg

The frogspawn was under MH, and unfortunately I got the torch from a friend of a friend and not sure what it was housed under before, so I'll give it some time. thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back