Magnesium at 900

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

According to my tests my MG is at 900. Using a calculator it's saying I need 600+ tbspns of MG to get back up to 1250!

Not sure whats happening here as thats just plain ridiculous.

DKH - 9
CA - 500 (I'm aware thats a bit high).
Salinity - 1.025

Any thoughts? I must admit I didn't think MG was that low but I have tested multiple times.

OP
OP
J

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I have used this JBL test kit on my aquarium and its calculating that 15 drops =1,400 which is before the deduction of calcium. I've used the same kit on a freshly mixed 200l of saltwater at 23 degrees (Not quite up to temp) but thats also coming out at 1,400 before the deduction of calcium. I have a Salifert test kit which is one year out of date and that thinks the magnesium is at 1,500 which doesn't need deduction of calcium I don't think?

So my in date test kit appears to be miles off and my out of date one appears accurate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I have used this JBL test kit on my aquarium and its calculating that 15 drops =1,400 which is before the deduction of calcium. I've used the same kit on a freshly mixed 200l of saltwater at 23 degrees (Not quite up to temp) but thats also coming out at 1,400 before the deduction of calcium. I have a Salifert test kit which is one year out of date and that thinks the magnesium is at 1,500 which doesn't need deduction of calcium I don't think?

So my in date test kit appears to be miles off and my out of date one appears accurate?

Correct, the Salifert needs no calcium subtraction. Also, there's no way to get magnesium by simply subtracting calcium from a general hardness kit. It cannot work that way. There must be a multiplier on the calcium result or the magnesium result for that to work since the units of measure are different (we can get into why, but I doubt it is worth the discussion at this point).

OP
OP
J

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So apart from the Salfiert test kit being out of date its likely my MG is within the acceptable parameters? I think I'm just going to get a new Salifert test kit and be sure. The rest of my kits I'm changing for Hanna checkers.

Thanks Randy Homles-Farley.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back