H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis:

Symptoms - Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored cauliflower-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. Initially it may be small (looks like ich), and then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the difference between Brooklynella and ich. My ocellaris has 2 speckles on his body and I think I noticed some brown string hanging out. What could that be?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the difference between Brooklynella and ich. My ocellaris has 2 speckles on his body and I think I noticed some brown string hanging out. What could that be?

Can you get a picture of this?

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried. But the picture doesn't show anything. I was thinking about starting coppersafe tomorrow night. The ocellaris is in the QT. He rubbed his body on the plastic elbows. That's when I paid close attention. One small speckle on the upper part of the body. And very tiny Brown thread like thing hanging from the lower post of the body. Let me try to take a picture.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's moving way too much to get a cell picture. Fwiw he's eating like a pig.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried. But the picture doesn't show anything. I was thinking about starting coppersafe tomorrow night. The ocellaris is in the QT. He rubbed his body on the plastic elbows. That's when I paid close attention. One small speckle on the upper part of the body. And very tiny Brown thread like thing hanging from the lower post of the body. Let me try to take a picture.

He could have ich. Are you sure the brown thread isn't poop?

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far what I've seen was white thread for poop. He's always had white poop. Brown thread could be poop too.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have ich. Are you sure the brown thread isn't poop?
BTW if he has ick. Can I still do coppersafe and prazipro together. I remember humble saying it should work but sometimes they could have adverse effect. But back when I asked that question I didn't think he had ick.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if he has ick. Can I still do coppersafe and prazipro together. I remember humble saying it should work but sometimes they could have adverse effect. But back when I asked that question I didn't think he had ick.

yes you can do them together. Definitely do the prazi pro. The white poop is a sign of intestinal worms.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you can do them together. Definitely do the prazi pro. The white poop is a sign of intestinal worms.
Huh! He's been with me for a month. Never realized that. He was fine all these time.

I'll do a 80% water change tomorrow night and syst the treatment. I see people put recommend Coppersafe in one go and some people bring it up slowly. I guess I'll do it over 3 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh! He's been with me for a month. Never realized that. He was fine all these time.

I'll do a 80% water change tomorrow night and syst the treatment. I see people put recommend Coppersafe in one go and some people bring it up slowly. I guess I'll do it over 3 days.

yeah, bring it up slowly. I usually take 3-7 days depending on the severity of the parasite infestation and the sensitivity of the fish being treated.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are clownfish very sensitive to copper?

Not generally. There are instances where a fish that isn't known to be sensitive to copper as a species will show symptoms. Just watch them. If they stop eating suddenly or become lethargic, remove the copper and get them eating again. You could then try again or use TTM instead which is much easier on them and copper free.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not generally. There are instances where a fish that isn't known to be sensitive to copper as a species will show symptoms. Just watch them. If they stop eating suddenly or become lethargic, remove the copper and get them eating again. You could then try again or use TTM instead which is much easier on them and copper free.
Thank you so much. I don't know what people like me would do without you and humblefish.

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this thread is active again.....somethings came back to mind that bothered me the first time I read this thread. Frist thing...Is keeping the bare essential meds on hand that "Humblefish" suggested .... If you think about it. It is insurance, just in case. If your lucky, they will expire never being opened and then replaced when it expires. The cost is minimum, if you save your favorite fish or most expensive ones on that one late night. The other thing was about "dangros" that kept his meds on top of the fridge and a bad one at that. I know he has kids and it was up out of reach...but look what still happened. Come on people, it's still medicine. Meds and additives of any kind, human or animal should always be safely locked up. Tylenol can kill you, even aspirin can. Children in general and ones with special needs and people with Alzheimers are always at risk with anything bad laying around. My Mother has Alzheimers and a visiting Social Worker said "to look at meds, any cleaners (chemicals) as loaded guns. In the right hands they're suppose to be safe. But in unthinking or unknowing hands they can and will kill". She then told me a true horror story. So, believe me.....that stuff is locked up and out of reach. Some people with kids lock the bases of their tank cabinets and some lock the lids.....Same reasoning and it's common sense. Let's keep Fish keeping and reefing safe for everyone.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If well fed, certain fish can live with intestinal worms for years. I know a lady who had a clownfish for 9 years with white stringy poop. She casually mentioned it to me one day, I told her what it was, she treated with metro, and hasn't seen white stringy poop come out of her fish for 2-3 years now. :)

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If well fed, certain fish can live with intestinal worms for years. I know a lady who had a clownfish for 9 years with white stringy poop. She casually mentioned it to me one day, I told her what it was, she treated with metro, and hasn't seen white stringy poop come out of her fish for 2-3 years now. :)
Just put Prazi and coppersafe in the QT. Haven't seen any difference in behavior in the last hour.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch out for a bacterial bloom (water will turn cloudy).
You know I've always believed in starting medication slowly. I think I put too little Prazi and too little copper. The water is looking like nothing is there.

Back