Medications to keep on hand

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably add formalin to the list, as it seems to be more effective at clearing brook/velvet, and can also be used as an alternative treatment for prazi resistant external worms.
Will do, and thanks! Any chance we can get Humblefish to update the 2nd post in this thread to help those who don't read through this far? :D

I also consider this to be a solid wide spectrum antibiotic: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html. Especially useful for treating new butterflyfish with red sores.
I really wish they sold that in smaller quantities! I'll never go through that much!

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, great info. What works for me are paraguard, dr g's medicated food and uv sterilizer. But ime, paraguard kills algae eating snails

ParagonNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985
Do either of you have experience with pure Kanamycin/Nitrofurazone dosing?
My dilemma is dealing with a 225G QT system that almost always has fish in it. It isn't very economical to dose Kanaplex or Furan-2 consistently in such a large system volume and I have access to bulk Kanamycin/Nitrofurazone relatively locally at much more affordable prices. I've noticed Furan-2 lists Nitrofurazone as the only active ingredient with a dosing rate of 85mg/10G putting it at $7/850mg while Nitrofurazone can be had for $22/100grams. Seachem lists Kanaplex as 32% Kanamycin Sulfate with a dosage rate of 360mg/10G - would it be safe to assume pure Kanamycin can be used at roughly 1/3 the dosage? Again, this would be a huge savings with Kanamycin at $25/50grams vs $7/5g for Kanaplex. I also seem to be unable to find dosing rates for pure powdered Prazi. Thanks in advance and please let me know if I'm completely wrong in my thinking.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ParagonNY I use bulk powder myself and below are the dosages:

Kanamycin: 25-37.5 mg per gallon. Dose every 48 hour for up 10 days. Start on the low side and slowly ramp up the dosage if symptoms do not improve. At around the halfway point (before Day 6 dosage) do a 25% WC.

Nitrofurazone: 12.5-25 mg per gallon. Dose every 48 hours (or 24 hours for severe problems) with a 25% WC before every other dose. Treat for 10 days. Again, start on the low side and slowly ramp up the dosage if symptoms do not improve.

Praziquantel: 7.5-9.5 mg per gallon. While the former is usually sufficient, the latter is "Prazipro strength". It's best to use a small amount of ethyl alcohol to help dissolve it, I use plain vodka. Dose once, wait about a week, do a 25% WC and dose again.

You can buy bulk powder medications from the two sources below:

http://fishremedies.com/aquaculturechemicals.aspx

http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-4058.Category.html

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Some public aquariums I know just run carbon in lieu of the water changes, due to the large water volumes they deal with.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price varies greatly from pharmacy to pharmacy. Typically, anywhere from $2-6/gram. But keep in mind you only need 1.2 grams to QT, say, a 30 gal - so that's only $7.20 per batch of fish even on the high side. Can't even buy a firefish for that these days.

Shelf life on my last bottle of CP was 3 years.
Humblefish I read a post of yours were you provided a link to a member on R2R that would prescribe CP with a prescription my vet will write a script for me do you still have the link for this pharmacy

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These would be the "bare essentials" in my fish medicine cabinet:
  • Coppersafe with an API copper test kit (External parasites)
  • Prazipro (Dewormer)
  • Seachem Kanaplex (Broad spectrum antibiotic for dealing with bacterial infections)
  • Seachem Metroplex or Metro-MS (Treats uncommon diseases which the above are sometimes ineffective against)
  • Ruby Reef Rally (Emergency bath treatment for velvet & brook)

I'm about to order these meds (I've not finished cycling my tank yet, but want to be prepared), are they still your recommended ones?

Thanks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to order these meds (I've not finished cycling my tank yet, but want to be prepared), are they still your recommended ones?

Thanks.

Yes they are, though it does depend on what fish you are treating as some meds work better for certain fish/illnesses.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
I would add Seachem Focus and API Furan-2 to the list. At that point you should be prepared for just about everything.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are, though it does depend on what fish you are treating as some meds work better for certain fish/illnesses.

Thanks. I've not stocked my tank yet and I'm not 100% decided on what I want to get beyond a pair of clowns and a gobie.

I would add Seachem Focus and API Furan-2 to the list. At that point you should be prepared for just about everything.

Thanks. Amazon has the Focus as part of a three pack with the other two Seachem meds. I'll pick that one up alone with Furan-2.

danieli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
does new life spectrum ick shield powder is chloroquine phosphate ?

thanks

danieli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hamm......to bad :(.the only cp i can get and its sound like cp is very importent to have.
thank you so much for this and for sharing the knowlage you and others have.im overwhelmed from how much info there is on this forum
just trying to build my emergency medications stock and to learn how to keep my fish healthy

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, is it best not to use NLS Ick Shield Powder even if I cannot get pharmaceutical grade CP? (i.e. I should use copper instead?)

Yes, I would only use pharmaceutical grade CP. Because with Ick Shield you have no idea what you're getting, is it working, etc. At least with copper, you can test to ensure it is at the correct level and working.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after running Kanaplex/Metroplex/Focus for over 2 weeks straight, I still have an issue with fish eating. Angel and clown trigger are eating, the trigger better than the angel, and my puffer. Snowflake eel and large niger trigger not eating, both look fine.

My water parameters were way out of whack, ammonia and nitrates off the chart. I don't know if I had a bloom after running paraguard or not.

Tank size is 240 gallons. I did an 80 gallon WC Saturday, and 105 gallon yesterday, so they should be getting better and I will be testing tonight.

Niger swims in the power head but he always has, and I've had him for over a year. Lost my purple tang who had a white wound by his eye, and it looked like prior to his passing he had what looked like a little dust or mold by his tail.

Now I'm not sure what to do next. Considering General cure, redoing the seachem program mentioned above, reef rally even though it has horrible reviews on Amazon. I DO NOT HAVE A QUARANTINE TANK, and a primary concern is my dogface puffer and snowflake eel making it through any course of treatment.

I'd like to start something today but will wait for the experts to chime in on the best course of action. TIA

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back