Mindstream Aquarium Monitor

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mindstream-aquarium-water-monitor.jpg

Have you read about this http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/16/mindstream-aquarium-monitor-alive-coming/ If it could actually do everything it is promising it would be without a doubt one of the most helpful pieces of equipment you could have. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem a little too good to be true but, if it can monitor calcium, alkalinity & magnesium and has a connection to say an apex, dose level maintenances would become an easy thing.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would make testing a thing of the past (assuming that it works and is accurate)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would make testing a thing of the past (assuming that it works and is accurate)
Maybe but, I would still think most would want to have test kits on stand by to confirm the readings that they are seeing from the unit.

Either way I will being looking for this to come to market!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm hearing it may be released at MACNA. I'm for sure going to be there for that announcement! :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hearing it may be released at MACNA. I'm for sure going to be there for that announcement! :)
Something tells me they're going to be slammed with onlookers!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be quite impressed if they find a way to continuously and accurately measure alkalinity, since it is not a single "thing" in the water, but the sum of several.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They posted this 2 days ago... I know nothing about "sunburst system" but figured someone here might?

"We have been using Sunburst Sensors pH and CO2 measuring equipment to benchmark the accuracy of the MindStream monitor. Sunburst’s systems are used in very high precision oceanographic research and they represent the “gold standard” in measuring these two parameters. With those kinds of credentials, we figured these systems would be a good way to measure the accuracy of the MindStream monitor, and we have been thrilled with the results. Yesterday, Sunburst Sensors was named as the overall winner of the global Wendy Schmidt Ocean Health XPRIZE competition for the most accurate and precise pH sensors in measuring ocean chemistry out of 24 competing teams! We are proud to be working with such an accomplished team. Congratulations Sunburst Sensors!"

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So anyone want to guess how much it will cost? Lol

alanjeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh will it send out red lasers like the filter in 'Finding Nemo' ?
Sounds to good to be true so probably is

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info: Here

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly they said the devices is about $500-$600 and the 90 day replaced media is about $35 or $50... I am not so sure about the replace media price.
It has been 2 years plus since I started waiting for this new invention.

So anyone want to guess how much it will cost? Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure why one would need anything fancy to "benchmark" pH, but if they can continuously and digitally measure pH and CO2 and salinity in the water, then they could get carbonate alkalinity with a mathematical conversion.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure why one would need anything fancy to "benchmark" pH, but if they can continuously and digitally measure pH and CO2 and salinity in the water, then they could get carbonate alkalinity with a mathematical conversion.
Because that does not make for as good marketing and PR as a fancy benchmark does.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they nail monitoring of alkalinity (with some real accuracy, not in whole integer steps), then they will have achieved the holy grail of reef monitoring. I will be buying several units if thats the case.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this holy grail seems close, I (want to) believe others are also on the same path. I (want to) believe that Neptune is working on a similar device that will use the ASM that comes with the PAR meter. If they do, it would be an insanely well selling product, especially if it autocorrects DOS based on real time or interval average measurements. Obviously some trust would need to be gained in any of these devices over a period of time.

Whoever gets to market first will win in initial sales to reef hardware junkies like me!

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I applied and was selected to be on the panel for market research. On that panel we gave a huge amount of input of what we think would matter the most for a monitoring system.

Some very promising things coming from that session.

They say that the unit is highly accurate. Now, this is what they say. I understand reality could be a little different. They polled us on what we would pay for such an instrument and what the consumable cost would be.

During that session the unit was suggested to be at a price of $699 with a monthly cost of about $30 for the tests. The ability to login and monitor parameters was thrown in for free :).
They seem to have no issues with saying that it is going to be reliable at all. During the whole research panel they kept saying that the unit works and is reliable.

Now, the take away from that meeting. Pros and cons.

I suggested that the unit have the ability to be integrated into a controller unit such as Apex. This so there are extra safeguards in place such as a dump of kalk, failure of some other system Mindstream can be utilized to assist in keeping things from happening.

Ability to replace some sensors instead of the whole disk. Now I understand that this is being picky but I do not want to test ALL of those params ALL the time. There are a select few that I like to monitor, like anyone else.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a friend with chemistry schooling and experience and he has worked with similar sensors to what this device will use. He says the accuracy can be +/- 0.1% or better if calibrated properly. This is done through fluorescing optical system which is supposed to be very accurate. My understanding is that once the device is calibrated, it doesn't need to be re-calibrated, just new media.

Back