Moving an Established Reef Tank

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few months I'll be moving into a new home and will therefore need to break down and move my established reef tank. Yikes! Just the thought of this increases my anxiety, for sure. I have a good idea of how this needs to go and what needs to happen but I'd like some insight from those of you that have gone through this process already. I'd love for you to share what was successful for you and what you might have done differently in hindsight. Advice, tips or words of encouragement. It's all good!

Before the big move, I plan on having 2 holding tanks set up in the new house, one for fish and one for coral with established live rock in both. This will be set up and running before the display tank is moved in and will allow for time in setting up the system in the new space. I'm preparing myself for a certain amount of loss during the process but will hope for the best. A big benefit of this move is that I get a dedicated fish room in the new house, big enough for an impressive expansion and/or upgraded system. I'm already planning it in my head, but first things first!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway to have the new setup completed and properly cycled beforehand and slowly moving your stuff in? might be a bit added cost with maybe requiring added filtration, lights... but you are setting up to temporary holding tanks anyway.
with the temporary tanks chances of less or no losses are improved VS a rushed move.
moving established water fro your tank to the holding setups and eventually to your new tank helps a bit.
going slow and planing every move and never doing things when you're on a rush also makes a big difference.
Good Luck

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway to have the new setup completed and properly cycled beforehand and slowly moving your stuff in? might be a bit added cost with maybe requiring added filtration, lights... but you are setting up to temporary holding tanks anyway.
with the temporary tanks chances of less or no losses are improved VS a rushed move.
moving established water fro your tank to the holding setups and eventually to your new tank helps a bit.
going slow and planing every move and never doing things when you're on a rush also makes a big difference.
Good Luck
Thanks! Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm assuming that with my established live rock (about 100-110lbs, 3 yrs old) that I won't need to cycle the tank as with a new setup. I also plan on using new "live" sand. Would I be able to place the live rock into the setup in the new house and then start to transfer livestock back in soon after? Or would it be wise to let the tank do a mini cycle? Full cycle?

Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid tubs. Break down the display and put rock and corals that dont need much light in rubbermaid tubs with a heater and powerhead. Put the high light and real fragile stuff in a small tank with a light and a heater and powerhead. Go set the new tank up with maybe 3/4 new water. Move everything over and use the water in your tubs or buckets to make up the last 1/4. I have never lost anything this way and see no need for a cycle of any sort.

Be sure to keep the tubs manageable as far as having to lift them and carry them for a bit goes.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid tubs. Break down the display and put rock and corals that dont need much light in rubbermaid tubs with a heater and powerhead. Put the high light and real fragile stuff in a small tank with a light and a heater and powerhead. Go set the new tank up with maybe 3/4 new water. Move everything over and use the water in your tubs or buckets to make up the last 1/4. I have never lost anything this way and see no need for a cycle of any sort.

Be sure to keep the tubs manageable as far as having to lift them and carry them for a bit goes.
Thanks! I've been looking into the rubbermaid tubs to use for temporary holding containers. I'll probably go that route.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congrats! I've moved a couple tanks and upgraded through the years and wish I did one thing differently the past two times: had the new set-up up, running and cycled.

In my recent upgrade from 125 to 240, I had to move my the livestock 15 ft away. I had bins all ready for the fish and coral and rock. Bad move: my leopard wrasses freaked and I lost 3 of my established leopards due to the stress of the move. Literally the stress killed them.

My corals started to look funny as the whole process to get the water clear enough from the sand, filling the tank, etc took 4-5 days.
-what I could have done differently here: one kiddie pool to house all inhabitants. I feel this would have keep a lot of my things STABLE.

The Rubbermaid containers end up costing about $100 for me so unless you need them...

Having the tank set up and running first may be the best thing and everything moved into a temp spot/pool. It'll make the transition easier for sure. Both recent upgrades came with casualties for me: last year from 70 to 125 my heater blew up in a holding bin killing my tangs. So had something been up and running... Could have avoided it.

I would encourage you to just buy new sand, if you're even using it. Reusing sand will be a hassle and who knows what nutrient sink you'll stir up by reusing it, killing your reef. Each upgrade I had, I just bit the bullet and bought new sand for peace of mind; although many do reuse it, your time is more valuable than trying to run water in buckets and buckets of sand until it's clear and then drying time. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congrats! I've moved a couple tanks and upgraded through the years and wish I did one thing differently the past two times: had the new set-up up, running and cycled.

In my recent upgrade from 125 to 240, I had to move my the livestock 15 ft away. I had bins all ready for the fish and coral and rock. Bad move: my leopard wrasses freaked and I lost 3 of my established leopards due to the stress of the move. Literally the stress killed them.

My corals started to look funny as the whole process to get the water clear enough from the sand, filling the tank, etc took 4-5 days.
-what I could have done differently here: one kiddie pool to house all inhabitants. I feel this would have keep a lot of my things STABLE.

The Rubbermaid containers end up costing about $100 for me so unless you need them...

Having the tank set up and running first may be the best thing and everything moved into a temp spot/pool. It'll make the transition easier for sure. Both recent upgrades came with casualties for me: last year from 70 to 125 my heater blew up in a holding bin killing my tangs. So had something been up and running... Could have avoided it.

I would encourage you to just buy new sand, if you're even using it. Reusing sand will be a hassle and who knows what nutrient sink you'll stir up by reusing it, killing your reef. Each upgrade I had, I just bit the bullet and bought new sand for peace of mind; although many do reuse it, your time is more valuable than trying to run water in buckets and buckets of sand until it's clear and then drying time. Just food for thought.

Thanks so much! I will indeed re-start the tank in the new house with all new sand. There was no hesitation with that decision. Your advice on the one kiddie pool is actually very solid and I like that idea much better than separate bins for everything. Great idea! Even with everything planned out, I will expect a certain amount of loss in this transition, but will definitely hope for the best. I plan on having the tank up and running in the new house before anything else is moved in, in general. This will be my 4th move in 8 years (and the final!) and I have no reservations and concerns about anything BUT the tank, as it will be my first time moving with a tank.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out. Good vibes my way! :)

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a filter for my holding tank if the inhabitants will only be in there several days? Or will daily water changes be sufficient for the duration of their stay in the temporary tank???

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Quite the undertaking! I moved a tank from Virginia to Ohio in January a few years ago with no casualties... having the holding tanks established is a great idea, and the rest will be having some way to move water in the containers as you're moving (I used minnow bucket air bubblers) and a way to keep the water within the needed temperature range.

Could you post a pic of the reef you're moving?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used a 100 gallon tub when moving my 180, also some brutes. Worked great, then I used the stock tank as my new huge sump!

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 hours later, my tank is empty. Despite all the planning for this breakdown, I feel like I winged most of it today. I'll hope for the best.

20160928_235514.jpg

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally was up through the night until my wife woke up in the morning and we started moving

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grossly underestimated the time needed to break down a 126 gallon tank. Upon initial inspection, a couple casualties to report. A transitioning female rhomboid (sad, sad face) and 2 RR frags ( I love losing money) Hopefully the rest goes well. Soldier on!

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nightmare process! I lost both my rhomboids while in the holding tanks as well as a good portion of my CUC and half a dozen high end frags, several RR, coincidentally. The rhomboids were a huge loss and I admittedly shed a few tears. RIP. The tank is now up and running in the new fish room and everyone and everything seems to be doing well. Good luck to anyone having to go through this process. Hopefully you guys have better luck than me.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What a nightmare process! I lost both my rhomboids while in the holding tanks as well as a good portion of my CUC and half a dozen high end frags, several RR, coincidentally. The rhomboids were a huge loss and I admittedly shed a few tears. RIP. The tank is now up and running in the new fish room and everyone and everything seems to be doing well. Good luck to anyone having to go through this process. Hopefully you guys have better luck than me.
Why did you lost the corals

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back