My 72 Bowfront Build Revised Thread

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad Burta is safe and sound. But I'm sure Tux lies in wait for his first opportunity. :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to find Burta ! ! !
Sure it didnt run away, cause it really wants to be called Burt Reynolds? ;)
Glad its safe :)
Been awhile, Glad your busy and you found your friend. Nice grab on the gyree's
Glad it worked out for you! With the wrasses I have, overflow covers are a must!
Nice save @jsker !!
So glad Burta is safe and sound. But I'm sure Tux lies in wait for his first opportunity. :)

Thank you all. But sad news, she went missing again and I found her in back of the tank.

Yes @Flippers4pups Don I think it is time for a top. I did not have this issue when I had a strong current across the top though. Tomorrow will be install gyre day/do not disturb day ;) ;Jawdrop :D

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. But sad news, she went missing again and I found her in back of the tank.

Yes @Flippers4pups Don I think it is time for a top. I did not have this issue when I had a strong current across the top though. Tomorrow will be install gyre day/do not disturb day ;) ;Jawdrop :D

:(
I've always advocated for a screen top or canopy because of jumpers.

My canopy becomes a "wrasse aviary" at times as they chase each other or get spooked. They bounce off the canopy and back in the water. Have saved many a fish!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Flippers4pups Don I think it is time for a top.
Bummer about your suicidal fish.
forfeild.gif

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(
I've always advocated for a screen top or canopy because of jumpers.

My canopy becomes a "wrasse aviary" at times as they chase each other or get spooked. They bounce off the canopy and back in the water. Have saved many a fish!

Yes is time to make one. I had a 6 line wrasse for years and has not ever jumped or gets close to the top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about your suicidal fish.
forfeild.gif

I was thinking the same. Burt the first trigger passed I think from stress and oxygen deprivation. I think from pulling the air stones after treating for cyano to quickly. Burta on the other hand was a little hyper. I was bummed after the save yesterday, but it was not meant to be.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning up my mess today ;Jawdrop ;Hilarious

Before picture

IMG_5661.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

Just tested the system, it been since October 19th
Test results.png

I am going to adjust the salinity and the Ca should come up a tad bit and alk will drop a tad bit.
Phosphates are sky high, time to dose Lanthanum to drop the phosphate. It should take about 1.5 weeks of dosing every 3 days. I am going to bring the phosphates down to about a .02 and let the algae die off. Next balance the nitrates and phosphates.

The new gyres are doing wonders with water movement. The old gyres were barely moving the water compared to the new gyres. With the water movement and balancing the nutrients my system hopefully gets back to normal.

There are two things that I can think of that killed off the tank.
1. one the exterminator spraying from out side, but they swear that they use natural pesticides and it will not affect the tank.
2. The county has been spraying for mosquitoes at night. That might be the issue.

Since I vent the skimmer to the outside, the pesticides might be suck in to the skimmer and then the system. I add carbon in the line to filer the air from outside. This has been an on going problem since April 2017. I have tried everything and lost a beautiful coral scape. This is all that I can think of.

I am going to test tomorrow to make sure my number and compare today number the the new number tomorrow.

After cleaning the glass with a Magic Eraser to get the hard stuff off, the glass to pretty clean.

IMG_5662.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays numbers

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 5.44.34 PM.png

The phosphates have dropped like there supposed to with my dosing formula for lanthanum chloride. Tomorrow I will redose and I should be around .01 were I would like the phosphates to be for now. I need to get the nitrates up and my dose to get the nitrates up and also feed.

I am also going to dose Ca a tad bit and shut down the alk for a couple of days. With the mg running high could be a good thing. This will help with the algae.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the dumper fire continues
Dumpster fire Archer.gif

wrong picture
IMG_5699.JPG

I was digging around the sump, removed the media try. And I found a rusting magnate. The magnet has been in the system since I switch out a 300 w heater for a 500 w heater. Let see if there are any improvements in the next week or so.

I have been dosing H2O2 to weaken the cyano and green hair algae. I figure I am going to nuke the system in the next couple of days.

If I have time today I am going to test.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker , How long was the magnet in there??

Regarding the cyano and GHA, I beat mine through a combination of NOPOX, Vibrant and Chemiclean. Have you tried them?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker , How long was the magnet in there??

Regarding the cyano and GHA, I beat mine through a combination of NOPOX, Vibrant and Chemiclean. Have you tried them?

All three I had used in the past.

The magnets have been in there since January 2018. I did not realize they few below the media tray.

I have been frustrated with the system and trying to figure out the demise for sometime now. It has been a tough battle, but I am not a quitter:p

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to build my tank stand during Christmas and new years of 2014. The stand, drawers are out of solid Honduran mahogany, fiddle back maple as well as the sides and face work. The case work is Burch ply. I used 7 nails in the hole project very little glue and a lot of screws. The drawers are dovetailed and drawer fronts are mortice & tendon to match my desk in my home office (my me room) the finish is a FDA approved oil varnish. All door and drawers have Blum soft close. All the drawers are functioning file drawers and drawer. The center of the cabinet meant for storage and now electronics, I did not know I could get all of these neat new toys that I can pull up on my network when I built the cabinet. Here is the pictures of the build and design
I would suggest starting a build thread so that we can all look at your great work. :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the numbers
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 8.09.39 PM.png

Mg is really low and alk and phosphates are really high. I will dose the mg to see what the alk dose and also dose lanthanum in two doses and see were I am at.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I was getting ready to dump a bunch go Mg into the system and decided to re-test
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 8.09.39 PM.png

That is more like it at 1470

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back