My Deep Blue 80 Rimless build from scratch

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried saltwater reef tanks in the past with huge failure in the past trying to rush the process and achieve reef happiness overnight only to fail terribly and give up as fast as I jumping in. This time I am starting from new and cycling in with dry rock minus the flat worm aptaisia and all the other nussiance pest that make the reef tank and the keeper suffer also trying the natural filters a Cpr hob 4.7 gal refugium with crush corral/rock ruble w/mangroves, eshopps gen 3 r100 refugium sump /large 7x18 algae scrubber in the skimmer section
2 gen3 Radions for lighting few fish lots of zoanthids and other softies.pics coming!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20b41f4908b927d5cb98f9a7ed3707a9.jpg

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished adding 3 bags of crushed coral course sand bed is about 1" deep and did the aquascape this is what I came up with I had 50lbs dry rock and a 30 lbs Tonga shelf I picked up from BRS really nice rock!!! The shelf on the right[emoji6]

Last edited:

Phantomwinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plate on the right is awesome, as is the algae scrubber. Have you got a light for it yet? Interested to see how this progresses [emoji1303][emoji1303]

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reconsider using the crushed coral substrate. It can become a nutrient sink, can be hazardous to burrowers such as gobies and sand divers such as wrasses. Aquascape looks great.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking rock scape. Going slow is good although this a very addicting hobby:)

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plate on the right is awesome, as is the algae scrubber. Have you got a light for it yet? Interested to see how this progresses [emoji1303][emoji1303]
I haven't got a light for it yet I was planning on LEDs for the scrubber I will post them up this week when I get them and install them.

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01434f6e0871b92ac502aad4f78cd4d3.jpg
got wAter in it and it's a lil off from level have to get floor jacks and level it tomorrow dang lol testing my patience lol and it's overflowing the sump got some work ahead of me and my need to get a bigger sump mabey the R200 eshoppes

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it's level and cycling but I am struggling bad with micro bubbles the eshopps sump is making and sending to the dt!!!
The drain feeds the refugium before the sock and there's millions of bubbles getting shot into the fuge that overflows bubbles into the return pump section section and my dt water is cloudy w/micro bubbles I can't seem to find a resolution to this issue other than to buy another sump

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dt water is cloudy w/micro bubbles I can't seem to find a resolution to this issue other than to by another sump
emoji853.png
If you share the model sump you have someone might be able to help make a suggestion.

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a piece of plastic over the feed holes and piled the coral on it to try to stop the flow of bubbles with no luck

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a eshopps gen3 r100 sump
Per the design, they rely on the filter bag to get rid of microbubbles for one flow path and the foam filter on the other. Can you tell which path the bubbles are getting past or is it both?

I do agree that throttling down flow should help a little. That globe valve you installed should come in handy!

OP
OP
knoxmandan

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the design, they rely on the filter bag to get rid of microbubbles for one flow path and the foam filter on the other. Can you tell which path the bubbles are getting past or is it both?

I do agree that throttling down flow should help a little. That globe valve you installed should come in handy!
Yeah I can see them bubbles getting past both.

Back