My tank seems to be evolving

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank seems to be evolving. I was looking at it today and noticing that I am leaning more towards sponges, gorgonians and long tentacle LPS corals than ever before.
I think that is because I have been able to find more interesting things than before even though there are quite a few LFSs near my home. They usually seem to cater to Noobs because that is their bread and butter but I prefer a weirder type of tank which is the reason I don't have any tangs or angelfish. I just find them too common and boring.
I realize I am in the vast minority on that but after you have kept those types of fish for many years, the thrill is gone.
I also love sponges and they seem to grow wild in my tank. I have some bright red ones and some very old blue ones as well as some brown ones that crop up in different places. Sponges do not need light nor normal food and prefer to live on filtering bacteria out of water along with some minerals.
I also find gorgonians fascinating as they take up a lot of vertical room and sway in the current. I know many people prefer SPS corals and although I have a few of them, I find them very boring. I think my problem is that I find too many things fascinating so I want them all.
Like most people my original goal was to just get some fish to live a while. Now my fish never seem to die unless they jump out as they often do. I try to cover all the holes, but they usually manage to find one. I recently found a dead wrasse in the bucket I have under my tank with effluent from the skimmer. Yuck, what a way to go.
There are a few fish I have never had and some day I will get them. Pinecone fish and flashlight fish come to mind but pinecone fish are very expensive and flashlight fish lost their lighting ability rather quickly, at least that's what I heard.
This week my mandarins spawned again as did my bluestripe pipefish and fireclowns. It seems they are all in competition as to who can spawn the most. My bangai cardinals have stopped spawning and I think that is due to lack of enough food as those guys can really eat. I stepped up production of hatching brine shrimp which is the reason for the surge in mandarin and pipefish spawnings but am having trouble finding very large clams which is the main food in my tank. I still get clams but for some reason very few places sell chowder clams any more. In the summer I can collect them myself.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Paul.
In the first shot, what is the orange red on the lower left?

And a blueberry gorgonian? have you lost your cookies?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each tank is a reflection of it's keeper. We change what we like at we travel along the path.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank. It's always so pretty and interesting to look at. Thanks for sharing Paul!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Paul.
In the first shot, what is the orange red on the lower left?

And a blueberry gorgonian? have you lost your cookies?
Thanks guys
That red thing is a sponge, there is another one on the other side of the tank. Most of what you see above that red sponge on the left side of the tank is a very old blue sponge. It is over a foot wide.
I couldn't resist the blueberry, But I doubt it will live for long. It is still doing wel and opening up so we will see.
Meredith, thank you. I was going for interesting. :rolleyes:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge. Beautiful!!
Yea that blueberry mmm. Its actually how I was first introduced to your tank so many years ago researching how to have a healthy productive tank to keep mainly gorgs and sea fans. Ive seen video of these on top of deep underwater valleys. 50 feet or more long and an 12ft tall, waving like slow motion wheat in a storm. as they are so far from areas of marine snow I theorized they must somehow feed on the dissolved nutrients and perhaps bacteria coming up from the deep.
I cant wait to see how it does in your tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still opening up but I doubt it will live very long. I just made a typhoon in the tank which I do a couple of times a day to feed the gorgs and sponges.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that as well. My MJ Storm mode.
It'll be fun to see what happens

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I've been clicking through your photos and videos. Great tank.

What is that disk your dragonets are on? I see it's food but can you explain or point me in the direction of what it is?

Thank you

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the weird stuff to Paul as it makes for an interesting tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,

If you dive on a coral reef, the sponges and gorgonians are often as prominent as the stony corals. I am puzzled at the apparent neglect of these two important groups. I have toyed going in a similar direction. But I have not heard of anyone who has. Now I have. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PatW, that is true, I have been diving since 1970 and see plenty of sponges, some bigger than me. They are very cool, colorful, unusual creatures and I want more of them. Corals have been done to death and I go for the more unusual. In my first picture, over the gorgonian on the left is a blue sponge that started from a tiny piece, now it is a foot wide and I give pieces away to trim it. I love it and will be ordering more from my LFS. I already told them to get me more of those red ones and they have an orange one I will pick up this week.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the Australian lightning sponge? A gorg wrapped around a tall sponge. Really pretty. Bright orange sponge with white gorg.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, does it look like this? I have a small clipping of this white thing wrapped around an orange thing and it is growing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be.
I love rescue corals like that.
Here's 2 pics I "borrowed"
0cea7920a289d158b9b3b5a5c77b64b2.jpg
1e80b768605c47e78923b9b0a35a850e.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back