Need a host for my carpet anemone!

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...before i got my carpet anemone...it was hosted by 2 tomatoe clowns...well the dude didnt want to get rid of the clowns...so i couldnt have them....

Now i feel like..maybe he misses having a host??

We were thinking of purchasing a clown fish...or sexy shrimp....which do you think would serve him better?? Hes about 10" in diameter...its a tan carpet anemone... He loves the bubbler and LOVES brine shrimp!!!! And regular mysis

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank can support the 10" carpet, then I would do a pair of clowns. Soooooo many options that would love that nem!

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are my options??? Im so excited!! At first i was sure he was going to die...as the dude before didnt even know they eat large food ( fed him clown fish flakes/pellets ) or could sting the hell out of you....hes doing great!! Hes always open!! His mouth has never showed signs of turning inside out...his colors are beautiful...over all for 35$ i think i did good ;) i would cry if it died...ive been up all night making sure hes okay...checking on him like my own child...he has a unique way of showing hes hungry! And so far has a bunch of personality!! He wiggles all of his tenticles and opens fully and puts on a sort of "display" then opens his mouth slightly...we feed him and he just opens and looks soooo lively! Sorry to be all pro carpet im just super excited

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked out and that he is doing good.
Let's see a pic of this tank and your new little friend.;)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, the anemone is the host, not the fish. :)

I would also suggest getting a pair of clowns. there are a lot of different variations to choose from.

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O my mistake lol, i was thinking of tomatoe clowns..but the ones at my LPS arnt healthy (i got an interview in 2 weeks to work there and maintenance their tanks) . they are supposed to be redoing all the tanks...i only know this because i went and bought the nem food...another individual was there purchasing a clown out of a green carpet anemone tank...the fish person went i to the tank bare handed and was headed straight for the nem that was now hiding the clown...i hurridly stopped her before she got stung....she was really embarrassed...ended up being the store manager...she ended up giving me the food free after i explained to tips and tricks to avoid fatality lol...should i order one off line?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any lfs around you?

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but most of them are along the lines of petco, pet smart, pet supermarket

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to come a little south, here are some really good stores with some great people.;)

Hydra Aquatics, Reef Life Aquatics, Blue Seas Aquariums

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clowns get big and can get quite territorial, nasty. However, have not met a mated pair that isn't a bit nasty. They are just very protective of space. So, personally I love my onyx perculas, my blackfoots (a. nigripes), my clarkiis and I do love snowflakes. All mine are captive bred. Ordering may be your only option. My blackfoots are ReefGen. Others from breeder in Chicago and Cincinnati.

Basically, for a carpet I would go with blackfoots or clarkii. JMO

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pair of polynmius clowns they are a natural host for carpets, and a great temperament.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the anemone? There are 3 different hosting "carpet" anemones, so knowing which species you have would help in recommending a clown for it.

croix67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of polymnus and they try host my wall hammer and and my Duncan colney very tame

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back