OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also wondering if it would look cooler to make the sides a little shorter.

tdjma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of doing that so I would have small work areas on the sides instead of spilling half a can of fish food when i try to balance top and food etc

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I came up with for my 40 breeder with a 20 long sump and just starting to figure out the canopy. I originally had the frame to the demension of the 40b but found out the 20 long wasn't going to fit so I just took it apart and redirected it to 48 inches long and made a little table top area for testing and feeding .

1449500946439.jpg

1449500967913.jpg

1449500996603.jpg
So you had a frame the dimensions of the tank and then built it out 6" on each side?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if I make the stand 37.5" wide, that will give me 30.5" clearance to get the sump in. The sump is 30" wide, so I think that will work.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who already have a stand for this setup (40g breeder with 20g long sump), can you tell me the exact dimensions of your stand? I want to make sure my plan will work before I start cutting wood.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I just measured the 40g to confirm the dimensions. It's actually 36 1/2" x 18.5" x 17" including the black trim. Back to the drawing board for the stand measurements but I'm so glad I checked!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Any help with my stand build is appreciated! I posted several things today as I'm getting ready for the actual build.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on gluing first then drilling. Any tips for making sure the pilot holes and screws go in straight?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a question. I cut the wood to be 3/4" wider than the tank all around, so it will sit in the middle of the 1 1/2" side of the wood. Is this a problem? I realized that's right where the screws will be. I also cut he wood according to the size of the black trim on the tank, which is 1/4" bigger than the glass. I haven't started yet so I can trim the wood if I need to. Am I thinking about this correctly?

tdjma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a question. I cut the wood to be 3/4" wider than the tank all around, so it will sit in the middle of the 1 1/2" side of the wood. Is this a problem? I realized that's right where the screws will be. I also cut he wood according to the size of the black trim on the tank, which is 1/4" bigger than the glass. I haven't started yet so I can trim the wood if I need to. Am I thinking about this correctly?
It should be fine you are putting a skin of plywood across the top of it though aren't you

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine you are putting a skin of plywood across the top of it though aren't you
I am putting a skin on. I could cut them a little shorter though because I haven't started. I want it to be right.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a stand for a 40B. The only difference was that I made it out of 1X4, ditched the green vertical pieces, and assembled using a kreg jig. It is super strong. The tank rim actually sits on top of the vertical pieces. With a 20L under it, I have about 4 inches of clearance on one side. I know you already have them cut, but 2X4 is really overkill. I have built stands for a 120 the way I just said, except I used 1X8 for the two long horizontal pieces in the front, and it ran for years and years. I still have it after moving it several times and filled it a few months ago. Not a bit of movement or shifting.

20L Full Sump.jpg

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a stand for a 40B. The only difference was that I made it out of 1X4, ditched the green vertical pieces, and assembled using a kreg jig. It is super strong. The tank rim actually sits on top of the vertical pieces. With a 20L under it, I have about 4 inches of clearance on one side. I know you already have them cut, but 2X4 is really overkill. I have built stands for a 120 the way I just said, except I used 1X8 for the two long horizontal pieces in the front, and it ran for years and years. I still have it after moving it several times and filled it a few months ago. Not a bit of movement or shifting.

20L Full Sump.jpg
Luckily the wood was the cheapest part. My main concern is the length and the depth not being too big. But I do think that the plywood too will make it ok.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about trimming the wood so there's only a 1/2" edge on each side. Does it really matter?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you mean about the plywood. I made my stand the exact same outer dimension as the outside rim of the tank. That way the rim sits flush with the stand. Then I nailed some 1X3 around the outside to cover up the trim and the bottom. If you aren't in a big hurry, I am going to build a canopy for the tank in the same method tomorrow and Thursday, and I'll take some photos of me assembling it. It will be smaller, but the method will be the same. Hold on, Ill take some more pictures to show you some more details. One other note, I bought one of the small 2'X4' 1/2" plywood sheets. I screwed it in one corner, using the plywood as a straight edge, straightened up the stand, and screwed down the next corner. Then I used a router with a flush bit, and trimmed the bottom to fit on the two corners that are over hanging. At that point the stand becomes very very ridged. I can pick it up by myself with one hand and throw it around, and it doesn't move. Does that all make sense? I does when I am typing it, but I already have it visualized in my head. lol

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you mean about the plywood. I made my stand the exact same outer dimension as the outside rim of the tank. That way the rim sits flush with the stand. Then I nailed some 1X3 around the outside to cover up the trim and the bottom. If you aren't in a big hurry, I am going to build a canopy for the tank in the same method tomorrow and Thursday, and I'll take some photos of me assembling it. It will be smaller, but the method will be the same. Hold on, Ill take some more pictures to show you some more details. One other note, I bought one of the small 2'X4' 1/2" plywood sheets. I screwed it in one corner, using the plywood as a straight edge, straightened up the stand, and screwed down the next corner. Then I used a router with a flush bit, and trimmed the bottom to fit on the two corners that are over hanging. At that point the stand becomes very very ridged. I can pick it up by myself with one hand and throw it around, and it doesn't move. Does that all make sense? I does when I am typing it, but I already have it visualized in my head. lol
It does make sense. My wood is cut 1 1/2" larger than the rim, so the frame would be 3/4" wider than the black trim. I think that's too much. I'm going to trim it. It's 37 3/4" now. I think I'll cut it down to 37", leaving 3/8" on each side for just a little overlap.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back