Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on blue jaw trigger being reef safe...(lps and softies) 90 gal

I have one in my tank. Absolutely leaves corals and other fish alone, but is suspected in the disappearance of my sexy shrimp. Cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp and blood shrimp are all OK ... so far, at least. 90 gallons is on the smaller side for a blue jaw, though . . . Mine is currently in a smaller tank, and I don't think he likes it. He's darkened up to much more feminine colors - deep browns, instead of blues, pale greys and yellow.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on blue jaw trigger being reef safe...(lps and softies) 90 gal
Blue jaws are pretty reef safe. Moreso with coral. They are a little less safe with inverts.

Thanks for the advice! If I go with goby, firefish & clownfish, is there a best order to add them?

I would do firefish, goby, clown.

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a juvenile clown wrasse.if so does anyone have a pic of an adult...if not what is it...thanks

20170205_113501.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a juvenile clown wrasse.if so does anyone have a pic of an adult...if not what is it...thanks

20170205_113501.jpg
Yes, that is a juvenile Halichoeres maculipinna. Here is a terminal phase male.
images.jpg

In a reef they flip corals and small rocks, eat inverts, and are semi-aggressive.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 90 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. Currently inhabitants are :

(1) Maroon clown fish
(3) Blue Green Chromis
(1) Blue Tang (will part when too big)
(1) Potters Angelfish

Looking to add in this order

(2) Squareblock anthias (1 male / 1 female)
(1) sunburst anthia
(1) Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
(1) Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (male)
(1) Mystery Wrasse (this is the one I'm most cautious of because I've read that they eat shrimp and are slightly aggressive)

Tell me what you think of this list IF and only IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OF THESE FISH. Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 90 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. Currently inhabitants are :

(1) Maroon clown fish
(3) Blue Green Chromis
(1) Blue Tang (will part when too big)
(1) Potters Angelfish

Looking to add in this order

(2) Squareblock anthias (1 male / 1 female)
(1) sunburst anthia
(1) Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
(1) Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (male)
(1) Mystery Wrasse (this is the one I'm most cautious of because I've read that they eat shrimp and are slightly aggressive)

Tell me what you think of this list IF and only IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OF THESE FISH. Thanks
I wouldn't add a mystery wrasse to a tank with fairy or flasher wrasses, unless the tank is huge. They have a tendancy of getting nasty toward other wrasses.

Of the remaining fish add the pink squares last and try and add the fairy wrasses simultaneously.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so about 6 weeks left for my fallow tank. That means I can start buying fish in about 2 weeks to QT for at least 4 weeks.

I've got a 75 gal bowfront and want the following fish (or some combination). Any input would be much appreciated (including the fact that I will prolly have to QT multiple fish at a time, then wait another 4 weeks to add more fish while they are QT'd)

2 (or 4) clown fish. will get a small and med/large so they hopefully pair. thoughts on having 2 pairs?
1 (or 2?) tangs. We've narrowed it down to a yellow and/or a sailfin
1 foxface (with the black dot near tail)
1 marine betta (don't know much about this fish, but saw it at fish store and was just amazing!)
1 royal gamma (purely for color)
1 goby or blenny... never had one of these guys buy figured a sand sifter will be cool

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pairs of clownfish, I'd suggest might not be a good idea. Some folks have had success by starting with _many_ juveniles, and ending up with a harem - but that's kind of a specialty tank. One pair of clowns is a _much_ safer bet.

Go with the yellow tang. Sailfins get _big_.

Foxface will get pretty big, but the one-spot should be OK. Remember, venomous spines!

Some gobies sift sand, lots of others don't. Of those who do, some have difficulty adjusting to prepared foods, others don't.

I don't see a lot of issues with your list - but that's just me.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so about 6 weeks left for my fallow tank. That means I can start buying fish in about 2 weeks to QT for at least 4 weeks.

I've got a 75 gal bowfront and want the following fish (or some combination). Any input would be much appreciated (including the fact that I will prolly have to QT multiple fish at a time, then wait another 4 weeks to add more fish while they are QT'd)

2 (or 4) clown fish. will get a small and med/large so they hopefully pair. thoughts on having 2 pairs?
1 (or 2?) tangs. We've narrowed it down to a yellow and/or a sailfin
1 foxface (with the black dot near tail)
1 marine betta (don't know much about this fish, but saw it at fish store and was just amazing!)
1 royal gamma (purely for color)
1 goby or blenny... never had one of these guys buy figured a sand sifter will be cool
The sailfin tang will be too big for that size tank.

It depends on the species of clownfish whether there can be 1 pr or 2. They would need to be juveniles and added simultaneously.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking at a normal perc or ocell (Nemo...) and not a designer clown. So, IF we wanted two pairs, get 4 juvies and hope they pair up? Seems like too much risk to hope two turn female and two turn male and they each pair up... Getting a small one and med/large seems like the safer route.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much that.

The fish don't care if their prospective mate is mocha, gladiator, DaVinci or Wyoming white ... It's an Amphiprion ocellaris, and the rest is just window dressing. They seem to rely on other cues - "does she push a strong wave of water at me with the strength of her body; does he dance for me with a pretty submission..."

~Bruce

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, didn't know that. so we could get 2 different "colors" of clownfish, as long as they are ocellaris'?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, didn't know that. so we could get 2 different "colors" of clownfish, as long as they are ocellaris'?
As long as they are in the same complex of species they will pr. It doesn't matter if they are a fancy variety or not, or one is and one isn't.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a NUVO 20 with 2 clowns, a gramma, and a yasha goby already in it. They have already settled and are doing fine! Is it ok to add one more fish? If so, what? Something colorful+interesting if possible!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a NUVO 20 with 2 clowns, a gramma, and a yasha goby already in it. They have already settled and are doing fine! Is it ok to add one more fish? If so, what? Something colorful+interesting if possible!
In that size tank I would be wary of when the clowns begin spawning. Once they begin spawning it is frequent, and almost continuous. They also get pretty aggressive while spawning. A 20g doesn't afford much space for tankmates to escape.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Sounds good. Will any baby clowns survive? Baby clownfish:D:D:D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back