Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going be like 1 fish in tank... I have other(5)
My LFS has some nice Anthias and thought I could have one in my tank...Oh well if I can't I can't.
THX FOR ALL HELP!!!
They like to be kept with others of their own kind.

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I have a 20g cube on order and need advice on livestock and timing on when to add them (once its cycled).
What I'm thinking about getting:
-2 clownfish
-1 Goby (maybe after a few months)
-1 Fire fish
-1 cardinal (maybe, wife likes them)
-cleanup crew (2-3 snails, 1 hermit)

Thx!
Eddie

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I have a 20g cube on order and need advice on livestock and timing on when to add them (once its cycled).
What I'm thinking about getting:
-2 clownfish
-1 Goby (maybe after a few months)
-1 Fire fish
-1 cardinal (maybe, wife likes them)
-cleanup crew (2-3 snails, 1 hermit)

Thx!
Eddie
A 20g is a little smalp for all those fish. I would recommend only 1 clown, as they can get quite aggressive when they start spawning.

Order doesn't matter much, except get the clown last. Also, add slowly.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to check possibly adding a couple of fish.
Tank specs:
1 year old 92 gal w/ 24 gal sump
All parameters in check with nitrates @ .75
Variety of corals including acans, blastos, zoas and asst sps
Current stock:
2 midnite clowns
1 sailfin tang
1 tomini tang
1 lawnmower Benny
4 benghai cardinals

Looking at possibly adding:
1 copperbanded butterfly. (help for aiptasia)
1 barbonius anthias

Any thoughts on compatibility or problems I might have adding these to current system?
Thanx ahead of time for any and all opinions or experiences with these additions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to check possibly adding a couple of fish.
Tank specs:
1 year old 92 gal w/ 24 gal sump
All parameters in check with nitrates @ .75
Variety of corals including acans, blastos, zoas and asst sps
Current stock:
2 midnite clowns
1 sailfin tang
1 tomini tang
1 lawnmower Benny
4 benghai cardinals

Looking at possibly adding:
1 copperbanded butterfly. (help for aiptasia)
1 barbonius anthias

Any thoughts on compatibility or problems I might have adding these to current system?
Thanx ahead of time for any and all opinions or experiences with these additions.
Tangs can be aggressive toward other laterally compressed fish, such as the copperband. In a 92g tank it just may not work out.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get an idea for some fish for a 180g FOWLR may end up adding some leather coral to it down the road but thatd be it. Tangs and butterflyfish are my favorite. Maybe an eel.

Would like maybe 3-4 tangs
3 butterflyfish
Rabbitfish
Eel
Dwarf angel

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get an idea for some fish for a 180g FOWLR may end up adding some leather coral to it down the road but thatd be it. Tangs and butterflyfish are my favorite. Maybe an eel.

3 butterflyfish
Rabbitfish
Eel
Dwarf angel

That stocking should work. Add the butterflies first and the tangs last. Perhaps a few larger wrasse species or a large angelfish species.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks eatbreakfast. That explains a little better what is meant by fish that look alike. I know the Sailfin is the queen bee of the tank right now. If I were to get rid of her, although she is a beautiful fish. Would that be enough to add the cbb and barbonious? My tomini seems pretty tame, although that might be because the Sailfin keeps him in check. Or does the dominance progression just move down a notch?

( I do realize the Sailfin will eventually outgrow my tank anyway)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came to this thread previously without much idea on what I wanted to do. Now I have more direction. NUVO 40. Currently have 2 clowns and a flame hawk in QT. Oh and coral banded shrimp and emerald crab in QT. Shrimp and hawk will swap when it's time. Thinking about a final stocking list (in order of addition) of:

2 ocillaris clowns
1 flame hawk
1 firefish
3 chromis
1 mandarin
CUC.

This will be over the next year or so.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks eatbreakfast. That explains a little better what is meant by fish that look alike. I know the Sailfin is the queen bee of the tank right now. If I were to get rid of her, although she is a beautiful fish. Would that be enough to add the cbb and barbonious? My tomini seems pretty tame, although that might be because the Sailfin keeps him in check. Or does the dominance progression just move down a notch?

( I do realize the Sailfin will eventually outgrow my tank anyway)
The tomini may be fine or it may take over once the sailfin is gone, it really depends on the individual fish. If you introduce a fish with an acclimation box you will see potential aggression without endangering the butterfly.
Came to this thread previously without much idea on what I wanted to do. Now I have more direction. NUVO 40. Currently have 2 clowns and a flame hawk in QT. Oh and coral banded shrimp and emerald crab in QT. Shrimp and hawk will swap when it's time. Thinking about a final stocking list (in order of addition) of:

2 ocillaris clowns
1 flame hawk
1 firefish
3 chromis
1 mandarin
CUC.

This will be over the next year or so.
That should be fine. Just make sure the tank is 8+months old before adding the mandarin.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you keep a Dwarf Zebra Lion fish in 40 gal tank with other mates?
Yes, but it is capable of eating anything the size of it's own body minus fins, so tankmates need to be chosen carefully.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stocking should work. Add the butterflies first and the tangs last. Perhaps a few larger wrasse species or a large angelfish species.
Do you think a dwarf lion would be alright with them? Also does it matter what kind of eel I add?

3 butterflyfish
Rabbitfish
Eel
Dwarf angel

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. Butterflies and tangs have been known to nip at dwarf lions when they perch.
Well may pass on the lion then but for the eel could I do like a zebra or should I keep it to something like a snowflake

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 135 gallon I have a Yellow tang, a Whitetail bristle tooth, and a Bellus angel fish. I would like to add either a Gold Flake Angel or a Majestic Angel or maybe even a Scribbled or a Blue line Angel ( have not made my mind up yet). Is there any concern with aggression with the Bellus? Whichever I choose, it will be sub adult sized (2 to 3" max) and my Bellus is about 4" at this time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back