New Desjardini Sailfin tang not eating

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this sailfin tang for about a week and it hasnt touched any frozen food i put in the tank... All it does is pick on rock all day! Ive tried seaweed clip and it doesnt go for that niether. Any other suggestions? And is the algae on the rock sufficient for it?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466897809.005296.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubberband red nori to a rock.

Red nori seems more enticing. Live blackworms are also crack for these guys. Live brine if that doesn't work. Try straining frozen foods and soaking them in selcon and garlic guard to entice eating response.

In the short run rubber banding nori to a rock is the most natural way to get him eating. Zebrasoma aren't typically difficult to get eating in captivity - is he acting ill at all? Scratching on rocks or sand? Swimming in to powerheads? Twitching? Hiding a lot?

What tankmates do you have? Anyone bullying? How long has the tank been set up?

Sorry for all of the questions but it will help us help you :)

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubberband red nori to a rock.

Red nori seems more enticing. Live blackworms are also crack for these guys. Live brine if that doesn't work. Try straining frozen foods and soaking them in selcon and garlic guard to entice eating response.

In the short run rubber banding nori to a rock is the most natural way to get him eating. Zebrasoma aren't typically difficult to get eating in captivity - is he acting ill at all? Scratching on rocks or sand? Swimming in to powerheads? Twitching? Hiding a lot?

What tankmates do you have? Anyone bullying? How long has the tank been set up?

Sorry for all of the questions but it will help us help you :)

Ok i have red nori as well! Ok ill put it in a rubberband tom. As well to see if it works... Sometimes i hate giving them nori cuz they make such a mess with it.. They love it but my trigger rips it apart which is so annoying. Ok i also havent tried any live food but i will tomorrow.

I always soak their food in selcon or garlic but is has not enticed him at all. No he looks healthy and is not acting ill at all... No scratching, twitching or anything! No he does not hide... He swims all over. At first him and my bristletooth tang were at it but tht lasted a few minites... Now they follow each other around. No one is def. bullying him, not tht i can see.

Tankmates:

Niger trigger
Tomato clown
Blue eyed Bristletooth tang
cleaner wrasse
Valentini puffer
Longnose hawkfish
Purple firefish
Twinspot coris wrasse
3 green chromis
Desjardini Sailfin tang

Since Jan. my tank has been up... All the questions is ok... With the questions I just realized im missing 2 fish :( my valentini puffer who i seen yesterday and my flame angel :/. Omg! About 3 weeks ago i got a purple reef lobster but have never seen it n now im thinking it got a hold of my 2 missong fish OMG. Im going to have to take my tank apart looking for tht lobster :/

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could starve him for a bit, then try feeding again? I know that at my lfs that I got all my fish from (Desjardini included), they are all pellet trained from the day they are brought into the store, owner starves the fish and makes sure they eat pellets so that they'll readily accept any food you throw at them, if impossible then he'll not sell them to customers unless they are able to provide proper food for them. Especially great with Moorish Idols, I love watching him feed them!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see it eat anything before you bought it? If so, just litter that tank with the same food. If it's still not eating, whoa! Something might be wrong. GL.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic extract in the food and you can purchase garlic infused Nori

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could starve him for a bit, then try feeding again? I know that at my lfs that I got all my fish from (Desjardini included), they are all pellet trained from the day they are brought into the store, owner starves the fish and makes sure they eat pellets so that they'll readily accept any food you throw at them, if impossible then he'll not sell them to customers unless they are able to provide proper food for them. Especially great with Moorish Idols, I love watching him feed them!

So starve the tank?! For how long? Thts sometging worth giving a try but he grazes on algae thts on the rocks all day so idk if tht'll affect him. Wow thts a smart thing your lfs done, to feed everyone pellets.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see it eat anything before you bought it? If so, just litter that tank with the same food. If it's still not eating, whoa! Something might be wrong. GL.

Nope... He had came in the same day I purchased him

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In not sure I would starve the fish, personally

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for long, not sure really, as many marine keepers tell me it isn't good to miss feeding and that you should feed them twice daily or something, probably has to do with the abundant food in the ocean? I was originally from the freshwater hobby, particularly in large and predatory fish. If our fish don't eat, we starve them, because in the wild it's not everyday these fish get to eat. Longest I starved a fish to get him to eat frozen was a Spotted Gar for a month, finally got him to eat silversides after much determination.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for long, not sure really, as many marine keepers tell me it isn't good to miss feeding and that you should feed them twice daily or something, probably has to do with the abundant food in the ocean? I was originally from the freshwater hobby, particularly in large and predatory fish. If our fish don't eat, we starve them, because in the wild it's not everyday these fish get to eat. Longest I starved a fish to get him to eat frozen was a Spotted Gar for a month, finally got him to eat silversides after much determination.

Yes that absolutely make sense that it has to do with the amount of food in the ocean. Yikesss tht long and it worked lol wow. I feel bad feeding them every other day when I use to do tht lol. Thanks for the info!

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob man, and yea those guys can go a real long time without eating. Was told by friends back in the US that naturally gar are picky fish and can fast for a real long time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back