New Stand Question

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I build the stand for the new tank, is there anything wrong with enclosing the back of the stand with plywood. I will be using LED lighting over the new tank so heat shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking that humidity build up in the enclosed area might be though. The stand I have for my 125g is open in the back and I have half of the back closed with a piece of acrylic to keep salt creep off of the wall.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking the canopy, stand or both?

My canopy is enclosed with 4 80mm fans to add circulation. It is open on the top though. I don't think you will have an issue closing it off as some people have covers on their tanks. You may affect the evaporation rate and can cause added corrosion on the electrical connections if it is not ventilated in some way though.

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the stand, new tank won't have a canopy, will have a light hanger system. How about some metal ventlation screens on the plywood back panel??

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could install a small PC fan or two like some would with their canopy's but that may be a little ugly and noisy. You could add a vent in the back and have a small clip-on fan on the sump...

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I build the stand for the new tank, is there anything wrong with enclosing the back of the stand with plywood. I will be using LED lighting over the new tank so heat shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking that humidity build up in the enclosed area might be though. The stand I have for my 125g is open in the back and I have half of the back closed with a piece of acrylic to keep salt creep off of the wall.

I left a 5-6" gap on either side of the back of my stand. This lets some fresh air in. Otherwise mold could develop.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sealing would be fine with a little ventilation as well. Either a metal or wood vent cover with a PC fan or two would work fine. There are quiet PC fans, you just need to look at the CFM and db levels for each. Enermax Enlobal fans are near dead silent, come in 80mm and 120mm sizes and blow a decent amount of air as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back