new to the group

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, New2this!

You're in the right place to get all those questions sorted out before you start getting your hands wet ... and to deal with all the _new_ questions and issues that come up after you're in up to your elbows - or eyebrows, as the case may be!

~Bruce

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 40 breeder..building a 90 in my mancave

20170127_204429.jpeg

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, New2this!

You're in the right place to get all those questions sorted out before you start getting your hands wet ... and to deal with all the _new_ questions and issues that come up after you're in up to your elbows - or eyebrows, as the case may be!

~Bruce
so i apologize if this is not how it works..and i am sure there is a million conversations on here..but i am not a computer person and seem to be lost on here.....but you can answer at least one of my questions..do u like your gyre...thats what i want for my 90...seen that ice cap(new) one...is it any good...and or do u like yours...i heard they r loud...any input would be appriciated....also really all i have purchased is the tank and a reefkeeper elite

Nohate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best forum and the best hobby on the planet !!!!! , it is addictive, challenging and very rewarding.. My advice... be patient, read, go slow, read, research, read, ask questions, read, take your time, read, and then reread all you read.... Awesome... Oh by the way SWEEET placement for your tank

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i apologize if this is not how it works..and i am sure there is a million conversations on here..but i am not a computer person and seem to be lost on here.....but you can answer at least one of my questions..do u like your gyre...thats what i want for my 90...seen that ice cap(new) one...is it any good...and or do u like yours...i heard they r loud...any input would be appriciated....also really all i have purchased is the tank and a reefkeeper elite

I like the Gyre a lot -- which should be tempered with the fact that I've never owned any other controllable powerheads! Mine isn't noisy - I did have (still do, but it's not in the tank . . . ) one of the Chinese knock-offs, which _did_ produce a cricket-like sound at higher settings.

The Gyres move a lot of water - in one direction. Running in "forward" mode, they push a strong, wide linear flow; in "reverse" mode, they move less water in a more turbulent manner. My solution was to put one at each end of the tank in the alternating mode, so that at times flow would be clockwise, and at other times counterclockwise - at times neither pump would be pushing hard as both were in "reverse", and at other times both pumps would be full-bore, churning the surface enough to pull bubbles down into the center of the tank.

Then the Chinese pump (about six months old) went dead, a little red light on the controller the only sign that it was once alive. Haven't been able to bring it back. Sooo . . .

Needed a plumbing part for the new 220 from BRS and added a second-generation Gyre with controller. Two days before they announced the new IceCap model. (-_-) Due to yesterday's snowstorm, it probably won't even arrive 'til Monday. I'll hook both pumps to the new controller, and see what they can do.

Ice Cap is a Coralvue brand, as is MaxSpect, the maker of the Gyre. I suspect that the IceCap Gyre pump will be much more reliable than the Chinese version, and at half the price of a MaxSpect XF250, I think it's probably a solid choice. It's been available to order for about a day and a half, so real-world reviews are going to be hard to find for a while.

~Bruce

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Gyre a lot -- which should be tempered with the fact that I've never owned any other controllable powerheads! Mine isn't noisy - I did have (still do, but it's not in the tank . . . ) one of the Chinese knock-offs, which _did_ produce a cricket-like sound at higher settings.

The Gyres move a lot of water - in one direction. Running in "forward" mode, they push a strong, wide linear flow; in "reverse" mode, they move less water in a more turbulent manner. My solution was to put one at each end of the tank in the alternating mode, so that at times flow would be clockwise, and at other times counterclockwise - at times neither pump would be pushing hard as both were in "reverse", and at other times both pumps would be full-bore, churning the surface enough to pull bubbles down into the center of the tank.

Then the Chinese pump (about six months old) went dead, a little red light on the controller the only sign that it was once alive. Haven't been able to bring it back. Sooo . . .

Needed a plumbing part for the new 220 from BRS and added a second-generation Gyre with controller. Two days before they announced the new IceCap model. (-_-) Due to yesterday's snowstorm, it probably won't even arrive 'til Monday. I'll hook both pumps to the new controller, and see what they can do.

Ice Cap is a Coralvue brand, as is MaxSpect, the maker of the Gyre. I suspect that the IceCap Gyre pump will be much more reliable than the Chinese version, and at half the price of a MaxSpect XF250, I think it's probably a solid choice. It's been available to order for about a day and a half, so real-world reviews are going to be hard to find for a while.

~Bruce
i guess u cant link the ice cap to another controller..do u think i will need two pumps for the 90

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess u cant link the ice cap to another controller..do u think i will need two pumps for the 90

Need? No. (Besides, you've already got two - including your return...) I simply found that in order to get the surge-type movement I wanted, two pumps were a good solution.

~Bruce

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha...my next question is what kind of drains are people running? this tank came reef ready with a durso(spelling might be wrong)..but my lfs took it and tried to charge me an extra $80. from my research i am leaning towards a herbie style..and for my return using sch 80 up the side and then lock line. Would i want the return on the opsite side of the gyre or on the back..Would improper placement have negative effects on the gyres stream..i know this might sound minuscule and im sorry...but i want it rite at the end...i have watched the brs 52 weeks at least a dozen times..but i would like to here reefers thoughts

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie is probably safer, and likely quieter, based on my research. My tank (used) came with a Durso, and it's the first one I've ever tried to plumb. (Current tank is all HOB.)

You probably don't need Sch. 80 - I don't think I've ever seen a reef that uses it, except maybe Joe Yaiullo's, out in Riverhead, LI. (At 20,000 gallons, he's playing on a different court than the rest of us . . . )

I have my return on the 65 angled diagonally on the opposite side from my Gyre. It's a pretty wimpy return . . . Returns on the 220 angle from the back sides toward the front center, and should provide some level of flow down the front glass and across the sand toward the overflows in the back.

~Bruce

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back