New to the reef

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am just starting a new 30 gallon soon to be reef aquarium. I had a 55 gallon years ago but was young and not very informed so it never really went anywhere. This time I spent months researching and trying to put together a reef that will last a long time. I spent the better part of a month buying all the equipment and tank just waiting for the day I could get it all set up and running. Well that day finally came a few weeks ago when we moved into the new condo.

I built a custom rustic style, stand that would go well with the other furniture in the house that I am really happy with. There is a small table built into the stand that I can do testing and other small maint on. It has worked out really well to this point. The tank itself has been up and cycling for two weeks to the day and is going very well. I used the shrimp method to get everything underway and it was very easy, and surprisingly no smell! I also have a small quarantine tank set up. The cycling was going well so I have the first two additions (two small clownfish) in the quarantine tank as a of a few days ago. They will be in that tank for about a month so I will have plenty of time to finish the cycle in the display tank. They are actually going through a treatment with Prazipro for a week at the moment.

I have thought through the stocking list and researched this as well. I wanted to have everything stocking wise planned out so that I could aquascape and have a place for everything as it is acquired. The fish have all been picked and the coral is proving a little harder but I have a list of the things I want to start with. It will probably grow as time moves on. The lists are as follows:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Blue Green Chromis
1 Diamond Watchman goby (this might not happen, need to make sure the sandbed can support it)

Eagle eye zoas
bleeding apple acans
Torch coral
Hammer coral
Rainbow acans
Plate corals

That is about it for the tank as of right now, sorry it is so long haha. I did not add any equipment because I did not want it to turn into a build thread. Let me know if you want to know anything else! Thanks for looking, Ill attach some pictures below.

Unfill front.jpg

Fill front.jpg

Unfill Side.jpg

Stand.jpg

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin I am also new to this site but you will Discover it is amazing the people are kind and we'll go out of the way to make sure that you get the correct knowledge that you need if you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to ask there's never a stupid question this site has tremendous integrity and wonderful people welcome to Reef2 Reef.

OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome already everyone! I am really excited to be a part of this forum and what I hope to be a long time in the hobby. I am sure I will have many questions to come. Hopefully one day I will have something to offer others as well. I am already blown away by the response just to say welcome, I feel assured my questions will get the attention I will be looking for.

mps026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure u have a good cover the diamond goby will jump out given the chance

mps026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two black clowns in my 50 gal. They took over and wouldnt let me get other fish make sure u get the peaceful kind if possible.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Love the stand! Very cool!

OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone! I got a pair of ocellaris clowns, the are getting along well! One of the two was aggressive at first but I think he (soon to be she) was just establishing dominance. Everything is great now, they are in their week prazipro now. Two weeks after that they should be ready to go to the display! I do have a lid if I ever do decide to get the diamond goby.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back