Nitrate 160ppm+ help needed

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i bought a saltwater aquarium from someone. A 75 gal tank with 70 pounds of live rock, protein skimmer. two water jets, and uv sterilizer. he had left the tamk running for a few months with no fish in it just a few hermit crabs. I moved the tank, water, live rock from his house to my house 10 min drive time and set every thing back up in my house only took a few hours. he had let about 10-15% of water evaporate so i added fresh water on the first day to get my specific gravity back. then 5g water change every day for the last 7 days then a 30g water change today. i jsut tested everything my ammonia,nitrite are both 0 ppm my ph is 8.2. my nitrate is 160ppm why!?

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using??? have you tested again to check if an error in testing occurred,not saying you made one but things can happen..I'd also check the date on your kit to ensure its good

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho apiece is not reliable I'd either get another test kit or take to your lfs and have a second opinion aND do a retest to verify results

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a different test kit, or take the water to your local fish store (LFS) and have them test it.

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i will have another test done. thanks. i have a feeling i will be back. i also re tested i t came back the same 160 ppm

GoGoGeeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea 160ppm with that many water changes would seem odd. Thats an 86% water change in a week so I'm guessing the test is bad.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's extremely high, retest again or take your water to a LFS for a second opinion.
Any livestock in the tank?

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nitrates that high back in December after not doing my normal maintenance routine for a few months because I had several surgeries and wasn't able to lift much. It took me a long time to get them down. I agree that it would be a good idea to get a different brand of test kit, I like the Salifert test, to double check your results. The high nitrates could caused by stirring up the tank while moving it by allowing long built up detritus to be freed. Since a 75 gallon isn't too big and you have no fish you could just do a 100 % water change. I'd also suggest you replace the sand that was in the tank. It was not likely well maintained and full of crud that affect your water quality.

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the test are brand new i woundnt think there is a problem. there are a few hermit crab roaming around seem to be fine. changing the sand sounds like a good idea. also sounds like alot of work.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just siphon it out. If it is sand not gravel it is pretty easy. Use only a hose not a gravel vac.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, cut to the chase, work with it, and start nopox.
It's a blessing to have a tank that produces a lot of nitrates. I purposely have a sand bed, and never siphon it, to become a nitrate factory for this reason.

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it's not my test kit. That is not the problem. I used it on a the base of my tank is what looks like crushed shells and a bit of sand. What would be causing the super high nitrate in the sand?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it's not my test kit. That is not the problem. I used it on a the base of my tank is what looks like crushed shells and a bit of sand. What would be causing the super high nitrate in the sand?
Moving the tank likely stirred up a bunch of crud, in the sand, between the rocks, etc. Did you just break down and set back up with no cleaning?

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just broke down and set up. Scrubbed all sides removed a bunch off alage. It was real quick only took 3 hours total.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a deep clean and reset. Sounds like this tank was in rough shape when you took it over.
Remove and replace sandbed. At the least, I would put the sand in buckets and take a water hose to it until the water runs clear. Final rinse in clean saltwater.
Remove some saltwater into buckets and take the rocks and scrub off algae, shake off debris.
Once everythings clean put it back together with as much fresh saltwater as possible.

What kind of algae did you scrape off? A film, filaments? what color?

OP
OP
Stevew36

Stevew36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a deep clean and reset. Sounds like this tank was in rough shape when you took it over.
Remove and replace sandbed. At the least, I would put the sand in buckets and take a water hose to it until the water runs clear. Final rinse in clean saltwater.
Remove some saltwater into buckets and take the rocks and scrub off algae, shake off debris.
Once everythings clean put it back together with as much fresh saltwater as possible.

What kind of algae did you scrape off? A film, filaments? what color?
It was a relish brown alage and there was lots of it. I think I will do what you've suggested this weekend by Cleaning sand and rocks. thanks alot everyone I will have update saturday

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back