Nitrate test

trooper123105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Nyos nitrate test kit. Shows between 12 and 25 ppm. Tank has been set up for a little over a year no algae growing, but I am always concerned that an outbreak is right around the corner. Took a water sample to a LFS for a sanity test. They tested with API and used a Nyos nitrate test also. The API showed 0 and the Nyos showed 3 ppm. I noticed that the LFS did not put a lids on any of the test vials. Is this the wrong way to test? Are the lids just to keep water from coming out of the vial? Thanks for your time.

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my nyos you leave the cap on during the initial mixing and shaking phase, leaving the cap during the 5 minute wait and then pop the cap off and read through top down.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos instructions say to shake vigorously, and their YouTube videos show that. I'd bet if they are doing it without capping the vial they are not shaking it well enough, and who knows if it will read correctly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back