No Disease ... Yet ... But Concerned With New Quoyi Parrotfish

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried live brine or live blackworms?? No healthy fish can turn those down! The movement triggers feeding response almost immediately.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't - only because it's kind of a hike to get the brine ... and I haven't got a clue where to find blackworms around here any more! Back in the day, all the LFS' carried tubifex and brine, then blackworms and bloodworms or glass larvae (both insect larvae).

Now . . . <crickets>

~Bruce

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't copper suppress appetite?
Also, you could try making a sheltered area, such as a 2l bottle with the top cut off and turned on its side, and put a measurable amount of food in there (like, 2 whole pe mysis shrimp, or something) that way it won't blow around so you'll know if it's been eaten.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't - only because it's kind of a hike to get the brine ... and I haven't got a clue where to find blackworms around here any more! Back in the day, all the LFS' carried tubifex and brine, then blackworms and bloodworms or glass larvae (both insect larvae).

Now . . . <crickets>

~Bruce
I buy mine online! :)

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black worms baby! I should have thought of that myself, I feed em once a day and everything, I mean everything eats them! May spit the first ones out a few times but as soon as he takes the first one he's hooked.
Heres a link for black worms and keepers.

http://aquaticfoods.com/LiveBlackwormsM.html

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might have to happen, 4FordFamily! I've got a rare Saturday off, so might take a run up the line and score some brine. He's big for brine, but as you say ... the movement . . .

Leahfish, you'll have me thinking ... I wonder if he'd feel secure in such a space, and let his guard down. Based on observations, he's probably out of hiding a total of 10-20 minutes every 24 hours - it's difficult to find enough to eat, when you don't dare go looking!

~Bruce

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also will vouch for the blackworms or any other love food you can find. You could also try adding some live pods, he might eat those without you noticing. Although they might not live long with the copper.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artisanal chocolate's been my go-to. (>__<)

Think I'll make that my to-do list for Saturday ... find live food (and maybe love food!) at the LFS' on my list. I know there's one with brine - but it's likely to be a 3 hr. round-trip. (Hey, if it works, amIright?!)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zipped down to Greenwich today, to visit the reef shops there...

Picked up some frozen foods and replacement MetroPlex at the one, but they don't carry live foods. Popped across town to the other - and it turns out they've got live brine. They've had it since Tuesday, so it's perhaps not the very liveliest of brine ... but the gentleman handed me a large bag to bring home and try. I always enjoy window-shopping in that place, because although their prices tend to run a little on the higher side, they've always got something cool in their tanks.

Including Quoy's parrotfish.

Two of them.

One small, transitional and on the skinny side, with faded colors, one thick, brilliant, and boldly patterned, with the strong rounded nose that helps make these guys seem at once strong and adorable - and both of them swimming boldly through the tank, pausing to scrape at the coral skeleton in the middle, dodging the angry tomato clownfish (do they have any other emotions?). I don't know whether it's worse to only be able to admire a fish from afar because it's ill-suited to your tank, or to know that you have one of these at home ... and just never see 'im!

Dropped about half the bag of brine into the QT, taking note of which pipe the parrot's tail was sticking out of. Peeking periodically, didn't see that tail in a different place for about half an hour. (All the Chromis are as rotund as little barrels . . . ) Will add the rest of the brine later this afternoon.

Ham for dinner again this week?

Also asked the reef guy at work if he knew of anything I could try - he did suggest the Mazuri Omnivore gel diet that he uses for our big tropical tanks.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a webcam, but not sure where it is, at the moment. (>_<)

Leahfiish, I asked - and was given a fairly extensive list of things which, I suspect, added up to something more like "this is what we throw in the tank" than "this is what I've seen him take".

~ Bruce, who _always_ forgets that he's supposed to ask to see the fish eat before purchasing . . .

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~ Bruce, who _always_ forgets that he's supposed to ask to see the fish eat before purchasing . . .

I've done that too. One time I got so excited to see a Singapore Angel for sale (I could always buy them online but would never see one at the LFS) that I scooped it up without asking to see it eat first. Dang thing never would eat and died 3 weeks later. :mad:

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a webcam, but not sure where it is, at the moment. (>_<)

Leahfiish, I asked - and was given a fairly extensive list of things which, I suspect, added up to something more like "this is what we throw in the tank" than "this is what I've seen him take".

If you have an old smartphone in a drawer somewhere, you could set it up to do a time-lapse while you're away. There's a few decent apps available for that purpose that will allow you to set the interval between pics, start/stop times, etc. Just a thought.

Plus, that way we all could see more pictures of this beauty!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have such a phone ... but it's probably the dumbest smartphone in the world. (>_<) I put it aside when my daughter gave me her old phone that she never uses any more . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm going to say that the end result of the live brine was . . .

The parrotfish wiggled his fins and tail a bit, and the chromis got fat on junk food.

Someone on a different forum shot me a heads-up about another Quoy's parrot on offer at a LFS - for half the price either he or I paid. (-_-) I must admit to being sorely tempted, even though I know @eatbreakfast has had poor experiences with two in the same tank. (I also _saw_ two in the same tank on Saturday, and neither could possibly have cared less about the other's presence - and there are videos out there showing two Quoy's getting along together ... hence the terrible temptation!!)

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm going to say that the end result of the live brine was . . .

The parrotfish wiggled his fins and tail a bit, and the chromis got fat on junk food.

Well dang! That stubborn fish.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stubborn for sure. It's truly awesome to see you taking the time and effort to do everything you can for this guy Bruce. If you can order the live Black worms I'd seriously consider it. Even if he doesn't take them you're other fish will gobble them up.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back