OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is on my list, Tj w. Wonder how long it's going to take them to knock back a quarter-pound of worms . . . (Given the price differential between an eighth and a quarter with the keeper, it's kind of a no-brainer...)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, an update on this fellow, for anyone who may be listening, or perform a search in the future . . .

I've recently tried the following foods, with and without Selcon and garlic extract:

Frozen blends
Fish eggs
Nori "burrito" - nori with selcon and garlic, wrapped around a chunk of frozen LRS
Dog food (Suggestion of a LFS owner. Didn't work at all, as the dog food remained floating for several hours before being netted out.)
Clam on the half-shell
Nori alone - red, green and brown
Omega One and NLS 1mm pellets
Live Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa, GHA and coralline algaes
Omega One flakes
Diatoms growing naturally in QT (It's been over a month . . . )

I still have yet to see the fish eat. Given that he's been in the tank for as long as he has, I can't help but think he must be eating _something_ while I wasn't looking.

He's been through a single round of Prazi-Pro (will have to start over on that one...), MetroPlex, and is now in therapeutic-level CopperSafe (real CopperSafe, not the Kordon stuff).

There are five little damselfish in the tank to assist with confidence - two Talbot's and three blackbar Chromis.

There is a princess parrotfish of about half his mass in the tank as well. I've seen her swim up to the Quoy's and nudge his tail with her beak - not aggressively, but in more of a "Hey! Wake up and come out to play!" manner. My son reports that he's seen her snuggled into the same pipe fitting as the Quoy's. I've seen the princess eat both frozen foods and the diatom film that's now growing in the tank. She's quite shy though, and will hide in a pipe fitting if she spots me peeking. Next time I look though, she'll be out and about again.

The Quoy's remains hidden in PVC pipe fittings. Interestingly, he never hides his head completely from the world, but _always_ moves into or through a fitting until he can observe what's going on outside.

Someday.

Maybe.

~Bruce

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try adding more pipes or hiding spots or arranging them differently. Maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable with how they're set up so he doesn't want to leave them. Maybe find a way to make an overhang or arch?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I don't see on your list of things you've tried feeding?? The only two near guarantees I've been suggesting from the beginning!

*bangs you over your head with a chair*

Live blackworms, live brine!!

Dang it @Maritimer! :D

I hope it starts eating well soon, friend!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could do ... I've got a 40B sitting idle - though not a ton of places left to put it! (Currently have the DT, the 75 gallon QT and the new 220 in the same room, but separate locations. Good thing it's a big room!)

I'd have to take one of the Aqua-Clears from the 75 and bleach / sterilize / dry it, and find a heater somewhere ... I think I have some small ones from an attempt at TTM that just didn't work out for me.

What's in your mind?

~Bruce

Edit ... @4FordFamily - Haven't got blackworms as yet, but tried the brine - and forgot to put them in the list, along with the ham bone. Parrotfish waved his pectoral fins a little, and fluttered the end of his dorsal.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer Once the fish has been in therapeutic copper (very important) for 10 consecutive days, you can transfer him into another QT at least 10 feet away (aerosol transmission). Only transfer the fish... nothing else from the original treatment tank can be reused in QT#2.

I've tested this protocol on 68 different fish that had either ich, velvet, brook or uronema and it worked every single time. It works because by 10 days any trophonts will have dropped off the fish, and the presence of CP or copper "shields" the fish from reinfection. So, you are transferring the fish away from any unhatched tomonts. Added benefit is it cuts exposure time down to 1/3 (from 30 days); which is especially useful when you have a Quoyi Parrotfish that has been refusing to eat. ;) Since copper is probably just further suppressing his appetite.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well . . .

I may not bother to put that second QT together.

The Quoy's is barely fluttering his pectoral fins, but floating quite bouyantly at the surface, his rearward belly out of the water.

There are a lot of things I'd like to say right now, but this is a family-friendly forum, so . . . dang.

~Bruce

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well . . .

The Quoy's is barely fluttering his pectoral fins, but floating quite bouyantly at the surface, his rearward belly out of the water.

There are a lot of things I'd like to say right now, but this is a family-friendly forum, so . . . dang.

~Bruce
Oh, no! That really stinks....dang, indeed! :(

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well . . .

~Bruce
Oh no! What a sad start to your day! If it's any consolation, I really appreciate how well you documented this whole process. I've been researching quarantine methods, and I've actually learned quite a bit from following along here.

Thanks for your dedication and I'm sad for your loss.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! What a sad start to your day! If it's any consolation, I really appreciate how well you documented this whole process. I've been researching quarantine methods, and I've actually learned quite a bit from following along here.

Thanks for your dedication and I'm sad for your loss.
Agree. Sorry :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back