NoPox, Rhowaphos and Purigen?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I currently dose NoPox and my nitrates are around 10ppm so not to bad but I'm trying to get them much lower and the NoPox is dealing with this slowly etc. I've been using it since starting my tank so around 10 months but I've also had to add a Rhowaphos reactor as the phosphate gradually increased to aprox 0.16 with hair algea etc which is now receding.

I believe the high phosphate caused the hair algea as it slowly developed. My nitrates were always <1-2ppm and after I scrubbed the hair algea off with a toothbrush the nitrates went to 15-20ppm and have been very slowly coming down since. I'm assuming this was the cause unless coincidence.

I also run Red Sea activated carbon.

I've just been reading about Purigen and wondered might be worth adding a bag in my sump to fine tune/help with things? Red Sea dont recommend anything other than NoPox but I just wondered on your thoughts/experience with this or whether it will be any use at all or harm?

The tank is all fine, but always looking for a few tweaks as we do as I learn..

Tank details below.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the Purigen in addition to everything else you are running is overkill...you definitely don't want to strip the water clean.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I currently dose NoPox and my nitrates are around 10ppm so not to bad but I'm trying to get them much lower and the NoPox is dealing with this slowly etc. I've been using it since starting my tank so around 10 months but I've also had to add a Rhowaphos reactor as the phosphate gradually increased to aprox 0.16 with hair algea etc which is now receding.

I believe the high phosphate caused the hair algea as it slowly developed. My nitrates were always <1-2ppm and after I scrubbed the hair algea off with a toothbrush the nitrates went to 15-20ppm and have been very slowly coming down since. I'm assuming this was the cause unless coincidence.

I also run Red Sea activated carbon.

I've just been reading about Purigen and wondered might be worth adding a bag in my sump to fine tune/help with things? Red Sea dont recommend anything other than NoPox but I just wondered on your thoughts/experience with this or whether it will be any use at all or harm?

The tank is all fine, but always looking for a few tweaks as we do as I learn..

Tank details below.

Just a clarification, hair algae is not "caused" by elevated anything. As long as it has enough (must have enough) of many things (including phosphate, but also a source of N, iron, etc.), then it can grow.

That said, Purigen is a fine thing to use to bind organic mater (sort of like GAC, but likely binds somewhat different types of organic matter). GFO and GAC also also fine with organic carbon dosing (I've used all three together). :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a clarification, hair algae is not "caused" by elevated anything. As long as it has enough (must have enough) of many things (including phosphate, but also a source of N, iron, etc.), then it can grow.

That said, Purigen is a fine thing to use to bind organic mater (sort of like GAC, but likely binds somewhat different types of organic matter). GFO and GAC also also fine with organic carbon dosing (I've used all three together). :)
Thanks for that Randy

I'll maybe get a small 100ml bag of it and drop it in my sump and see what happens!

I'm new to aquariums of any kind so your help is greatly appreciated

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'll maybe get a small 100ml bag of it and drop it in my sump and see what happens. "
Purigen, like most resins is far more effective when placed in a reactor of some sort and the water is forced through it. A bag in the sump may not allow for enough flow for the Purigen to do much good.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a GFO and Purigen reactor. Both reactors tumble the media.

I run the Purigen to work with my skimmer to absorb organics before the hit the nitrogen cycle.

Purigen does little to nothing to absorb nitrates in the water column after they are produced from the nitrogen cycle.

I have a small bio-load so water changes, skimmer, GFO and Purigen keep my phos and nitrates in check without the need for carbon dosing. :)

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys.

I was going to use in a mesh bag rather than a full reactor (i don't really need a full reactor at this Stage) as the directions on Seachems site state:

'Directions
Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh (180 micron or less) filter bag such as Seachem’s The Bag™. Each 250 mL treats up to 1,000 L (250 US gallons) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.'

It does say you can use a reactor as well but need to be careful on the flow rate but I think I'm just going to try the bag in the first place and see what happens. I don't want to strip everything from the water anyway but just a bit of help getting the organic matter out before it turns to nitrates. I am testing regularly as well. Another step in my adventure into marine biology!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to strip everything from the water anyway but just a bit of help getting the organic matter out before it turns to nitrates. I am testing regularly as well. Another step in my adventure into marine biology!

There's no concern about that. :)

Another step in my adventure into marine biology!

NO! It's chemistry. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys.

I was going to use in a mesh bag rather than a full reactor (i don't really need a full reactor at this Stage) as the directions on Seachems site state:

'Directions
Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh (180 micron or less) filter bag such as Seachem’s The Bag™. Each 250 mL treats up to 1,000 L (250 US gallons) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.'

It does say you can use a reactor as well but need to be careful on the flow rate but I think I'm just going to try the bag in the first place and see what happens. I don't want to strip everything from the water anyway but just a bit of help getting the organic matter out before it turns to nitrates. I am testing regularly as well. Another step in my adventure into marine biology!
Shaun,
You don't need a reactor with Purigen.

It takes a tall reactor cylinder and I still use "The Bag" at the return end to catch the tiniest Purigen grains when I re-charge the reactor.

I just got tired of rinsing clogged media bags with it and I just like watching it in a fluidized state in the chamber while listening to some Pink Floyd :)

Looked at that Avast Spyglass but I like a closed reactor... JMO

Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure are crazy Freddie!

I'm trying to picture you staring into your sump, eyes wide open staring at Purigen grooving to the floyd!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure are crazy Freddie!

I'm trying to picture you staring into your sump, eyes wide open staring at Purigen grooving to the floyd!
lol

Shaun,
Who needs a lava lamp :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,

If you have to a medication treatment then I take out all chemical media as stated by the product.
When the treatment is complete I use GAC to remove the medication.
Purigen wont remove the medication like GAC does. Once the medication is absorbed with the GAC, I trash it and bring the Purigen back online.

To me they both have their place in the hobby.
At some point I may add on another small reactor to run "Packed" GAC. To me it polishes the water a little better than Purigen.

Freddie

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back